“Best in Xi'an”

Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square
Ranked #8 of 2,692 Hotels in Xi'an
Reviewed April 14, 2009

No one will argue this point. For comfort, cleanliness and service this was a very, very good hotel. The room was clean and modern. yes the reviewer after me is right about the inherent sexism. But I, who travelled with my mother and daughter, felt it every step of the way in China. On one flight all the men were offered wine and neither my mother or I were offered any....hmmm! So if the price is right for you, the Sofitel is the best hotel in Xi'an by miles, and we saw a huge fluctuation in prices from September through to March this year, so book but not a non refundable booking and then check the prices and lower your reservation price as time goes on... this was a very nice, solid hotel and perfect location. My tour guide Jeff Zhang was also brilliant and wonderful; if he is available book him too. Smart, kind, trustworthy, prompt, caring, interesting, intelligent, fun. zyq981125@163.com i truly loved Xi'an and wished i had stayed another day. we only stayed two nights. he met us at the airport and put us back onto our next flight. he is a door to door brilliant guide.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,391)

Reviewed April 14, 2009

The level of service here is not what one would expect from a 5 star hotel.

Case in point: I was as good as invisible as my boyfriend checked us in; they greeted him and not I, and he was only given one room key. Later, we asked the counter staff to help us call our Chinese driver and she shot me a black, incredulous look as if we were requesting something she had to bend over backwards for. I passed her the driver's card with the name of the driver clearly printed on it in Chinese, and she asked me what the driver's surname was!

The hotel's main restaurant, Azur, served below average food for its price, and that's not even the main gripe. Again, the attitude and service of the staff were bad. No one took orders for our drinks once we were shown our table and we had to try quite hard to get their attention. When we eventually managed to place orders for drinks, the staff plonked the drinks unceremoniously on our table without a word, I was again as good as invisible when rarely, a staff would come over to ask if my boyfriend wanted another drink but ignored me.

We went to the Hyatt Regency's restaurant on another evening and the service was prompt, courteous, even warm. I did not feel slighted in anyway. So the bad service of the Sofitel staff is clearly not something endemic in this part of the world.

The rooms were great, but I don't think such treatment is warranted in a five star hotel. After all, it is the service that usually distinguishes these hotels from others.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fairday
Reviewed April 10, 2009

We live in China and stayed here for one night -- booked the hotel on-line, arranged airport transfers, and one day tour. Everything was excellent. The rooms are huge -- easily fit our family of four. Really nice breakfast buffet. The pool and the hottub were a big hit with our kids. First class hotel in every respect. We were welcomed by the business sales manager, who personally answered questioned about best way to tour Xian in a short time. Highly recommend this hotel for a family or business -- nice central location, and super friendly helpful staff.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed April 6, 2009

We were kept waiting ten minutes on arrival as the computer was down, so they gave us free drinks and upgraded our room. It was super, fabulous shower, lovely decor, very comfortable bed, pleasant room. Bathrobe and slippers, minibar and electric kettle and tea and coffee supplied. Annoyed we were there only two nights as breakfast buffet was so good we'd have enjoyed more of it! Lovely quiet location, our windows were fine and safe, unlike those of another reviewer, drapes closed well and shut out light. Very friendly staff. We ate only breakfast at the hotel. Supermarket one block away for supplies. All in all loved this hotel.

2  Thank TravellerBD
Reviewed March 31, 2009

I was in China for business and attending an exhibition in Xian. I booked into the Sofitel after checking out of another hotel in the city.
Bliss. Gorgeous rooms, nice facilities.
Where the other hotel failed , the Sofitel succeeded. The best internet rate was met even though I didn't have a booking and had just walked in off the street, I was given an upgrade and the staff immediately understood my needs as a business traveller.
Obviously it was not an 'authentic' experience of China for someone on holiday and it lacked atmosphere in that respect but I felt really comfortable and relaxed enough to fully recharge my batteries and continue with the remainder of my schedule.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank RoseLou
Reviewed March 29, 2009

We recently spent 2 nights at this lovely hotel in the centre of Xian. We had booked a Club Room and had a lovely large room with a king size bed. The Club Lounge is excellent and we found the girls working there very attentive. We enjoyed a lovely breakfast each morning and there were hot nibbles each night.

If we ever return to Xian, we will definitely stay at the Sofitel again.

Reviewed March 11, 2009

I've done a lot of research both on TripAdvisor and various travel sites before booking hotel stays for my trip to China. I'm pleased to report that we've returned from our two week trip to China and want to pass on our feedback on this hotel. The Sofitel is by far, the best hotel one can find in Xian. The hotel is modern, with each floor and hallway beautifully decorated with very upscale decor, color and lighting. We were certain that our 6th floor was their upgraded floor, for frequent Accor guests. After stopping at different floors we proved to be wrong! The room and bed was very comfortable, tastefully decorated and very spacious. Ammenities were also very high end. Staff provided impeccable service. We would highly recommend this hotel and would stay there again. You can feel confident in booking this hotel. It certainly exceeded all of my expectations and this is pretty difficult as I am quite a discerning traveler with high standards. You won't be disappointed with this hotel. Be sure to check out their "Habana Bar" - fun dancing, lounge located in the hotel.

2  Thank jsimas