“Great Location and Wonderful Luxury”

Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square
Ranked #7 of 2,617 Hotels in Xi'an
Reviewed April 21, 2014

While the staff are clearly still learning, this truly is a beautiful hotel in a great location inside the wall in XiAn. We were upgraded to a once bedroom suite which was indulgent and had a great view of the courtyard. I am sure Sofitel will sort out the bugs with their staff and offer a truly memorable experience in Xian.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
SofitelXian, Manager at Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you very much indeed for taking time to provide us your comments following your recent stay with us. I was very concerned to learn that some of the areas of the hotel were not up to your expectations. I am truly sorry that this was a disappointment and please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and we have brought this to the attention of the relevant department.

Thank you again for providing your feedback, it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square

Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Disappointed. On late arrival we were switched from our designated hotel building no apology no explanation. The carpet was dirty the phone did not work. On arrival at breakfast we had to wonder around to find a table. Having to ask for more so called complimentary water was demeaning and the front desk attitude was lacking. Having been to China 6 times and dozens of cities my summary is a second rate hotel with poor service standards try the
Marriott in Shanghai to see what real service is.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
SofitelXian, Manager at Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you very much indeed for taking time to provide us your comments following your recent stay with us. I was very concerned to learn that some of the areas of the hotel weer not up to your expectations. I am truly sorry that this was a disappointment and please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Reviewed April 20, 2014

Nice position, set back from the road, with its two wings. Good breakfast and nice sized rooms. Window left open by staff during the day led to mosquitoes in the room at night, not what you'd expect from this level of hotel.
Swimming pool was not as clean as we would have liked, and the dryer for the swimming trunks didn't work.
Service was generally good though and the staff were friendly and helpful.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Dear guest,

Thank you very much indeed for taking time to provide us your comments following your recent stay with us. I was very concerned to learn that our facilities and services of the hotel was not up to your expectations. I am truly sorry that this was a disappointment and please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we will take the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

We were in the club room which was great. As per other hotels in China, the service is poor. I believe it is due to inadequate training as the staff are out of there depth. A new lady in the club lounge was by herself and could not speak English - not a clever idea by hotel management. Once we communicated we wanted gin and tonic she did not know how to make. Not her fault but that of the management.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
SofitelXian, Manager at Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2014

Reviewed April 17, 2014

excellent location. good walking hotel. the staff was quite helpful in arranging a drive to take us to several historic sites. I found the breakfast delicious, and a nice variety. the rooms were spacious and very comfortable. the spa was very nice, and the staff were very friendly. one night my room did smell of sewer gas, otherwise the stay was excellent.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Dear guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights. The hotel is set back off the road in a pleasant location. I was a bit confused at first as there are 2 wings to the hotel but all facilities are available to guests regardless of the wing you are staying in. Check in was very efficient and the staff very pleasant and helpful. The room was quite spacious and well equipped. The bar area in the East wing was quite relaxing and drinks were reasonably priced compared to other hotels we had stayed in on our Chinese trip. We did not want a meal on our first evening after travelling so we asked the staff if we could have some antipasti from the buffet. To begin with they were not too sure what we wanted but after a bit of pointing they served us exactly what we wanted. Breakfast was exceptionally good , the best we had on our trip even though some of the hotels we stayed in were more expensive than this one. Location was good and the staff were very attentive. I would certainly recommend this as a stopover for the Terracotta warriors.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Sofitel Xi'an on your recent visit to the city and very much for taking the time to share your experience with us.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide superior levels of service to all guests; therefore your feedback is very important to us and we thank you again for providing it.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Yours sincerely,

Sofitel Xi'an on Renmin Square.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

I stayed with my Mum here at the beginning of April for two nights. The first room we had was beautiful and spacious. Great bathroom, and facilities at the hotel were also very good, including the breakfast with more than enough on offer. But that first night, we soon realised our air con was not working. After telling the front desk about the issue that morning, we expected it to be fixed upon returning to the hotel that afternoon. However, after enquiring with staff, we realised it had not been resolved. We were told to go to our room and check whether it was working again, however all they had done was open our bedroom window. We were then moved to another room and told it was an upgrade, however the room was smaller and the bathroom a lot smaller and less grand. Upon reading other reviews on Trip Advisor, I realised it is not a new issue for this hotel so seems it's a problem they don't want to address. While our stay was quite pleasant, being a 5-star hotel, we expected a lot more, so left quite disappointed.

Stayed: April 2014
SofitelXian, Manager at Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014