“Need to improve their attitude!”

Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square
Ranked #7 of 2,649 Hotels in Xi'an
Reviewed February 7, 2014

When we arrived late in the evening they didn't have the rooms we had booked ( 2 rooms one for myself and my husband and my son and his wife) the lady said she could upgrade our room with one king and 2 twin beds. She assured us it was much better but she would not allow us to see the room and once we agreed we would not be allowed to change. She made us wait to well after midnight to get our rooms ( probably about a half an hours wait) So we decided not to take the chance so we were then put into another wing of the hotel which meant a 5 minute walk through a freezing cold corridor to get there. We had to do this each time we got back to our hotel as that is where the taxis drop you off. And of course the bar and restaurant is in the main part of the building so it's constant walking. The room was nice enough but having to keep doing that walk was annoying. On leaving we saw a notice which said we should have been given a ticket for a chance for a free nights stay, so when my husband questioned that they just laughed and said we could get a free upgrade next time, he said we won't be back so they said give us your address and we will send chocolates. Also in the bar I ordered a baileys coffee, then afterwards I asked my son who speaks fluent chinese to order me a regular coffee without the baileys this time. She returned with a baileys coffee. I told her it was wrong and wanted the regular coffee I ordered. She took it away and returned 2 minutes later with it saying she can't take it off the bill!! So not only did I have to pay for 2 baileys coffees but she didn't even let me have a free regular coffee so I had to pay for that as well.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Eileen B
SofitelXian, Manager at Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback, we regret to note your displeasure and the inconvenience caused by the service shortfall with our lobby lounge and reception team members. Please accept our apologies for any discomfort because of this.

We are extremely disappointed with the performance of the team on this occasion. Clearly we performed poorly in these areas and we do sincerely apologize. At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. We have reviewed the comments line by line with our team to how this could happen and we have implemented additional procedures to ensure this never happens again.

We wish to thank you for writing and raising these issues and highlight the problems so we can strengthen our procedures further and improve.

Once again, we appreciate your sharing your comments, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Sofitel Xi’an on Renmin Square

Reviewed February 5, 2014

By the far the most luxurious of the 3 hotels we stayed at during our trip. The suites are huge with a separate work area and sitting area. The bathrooms were very well appointed including a bath tub and separate shower. If it wasn't for the smog in the city we could have easily stayed longer here. The breakfast was absolutely delicious with a great choice of healthy and less so goodies. The rooms were just a touch over heated, so we had to open the windows for a short while. The room service were very attentive to our needs. Wifi worked great. The view from the rooms was neat-there was a colorful (lit up at night in different colors) pagoda style building just opposite our room.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite- they are so comfy.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ell613
SofitelXian, Manager at Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Dear guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I stayed here for a few days during a business trip to the city whilst attending a conference. The hotel is like other luxury hotels I've stayed at in China - top of the range where everything is spotlessly clean, great facilities and helpful staff. The breakfasts are fantastic with something for everyone and I had no complaints or issues at all. If only my own home was this nice!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Antony B
SofitelXian, Manager at Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Soitel is Accor's luxury hotel brand, and usually the rooms are quite similar anywhere you stay at. And this is not bad! You know what to expect from a hotel like this, and Sofitel Xi'an is not different: Spacious room and bathroom, very clean and pretty well located right in the center of the walled downtown.
In comparison to other Sofitels around the world, this is not expensive at all.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank rdelfino
SofitelXian, Manager at Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you very much indeed for taking time to provide us your comments following your recent stay with us.We were very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that the facilities and services of the hotel lived up to your expectation.

Once again we thank you for sharing with us your experience, and we look forward to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was fabulous from the very beginning! Staff were attentive, spoke clear enough english (who am I to judge when I cant speak mandarin) so we had no issues. Check in was very quick and because the hotel was quiet, they provided us with free wifi and a free upgrade to a huge room that had a separate lounge room to bedroom. I have nothing bad to say about this hotel except that everything was perfect. In room dining was delicious! Location is fantastic. When I head back to xi'an, I will definitely stay here again!
Bottom line: quit looking around, stay here!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rebbecca R
SofitelXian, Manager at Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Reviewed January 3, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Sofitel Xian for 3 nights. We were impressed with the breakfast and the location was great (close to sights and train station). However, the staff barely spoke English and we had difficulties communicating simple requests like ordering a taxi for a specific time or asking for the bill in the restaurant. And even though the hotel is nicely decorated, it is in need of an update (e.g. carpet in room). The room we had was tiny and the bathroom had an awkward layout (i am 5''5 and my knees almost touched the shower door when I used the toilet). The hotel did not meet my expectations considering they want to be a 'luxury' hotel. Not sure I would stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nadine G
SofitelXian, Manager at Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to complete the on-line Guest Questionnaire following your recent stay with us. I was very concerned to learn that our facilities and services of the hotel was not up to your expectations. I am truly sorry that this was a disappointment and please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we have brought this to the attention of the relevant departments.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Stayed at the beautiful Sofitel Renmin Square for three days and loved it! Such a convenient location to explore the city's main sights! Our junior suite was very spacious and beautifully decorated! The executive lounge was one of the best serviced lounges I've ever experienced! The staff is amazing and extremely helpful with any request you might have! Another outstanding experience was with the concierge. Daniel was incredible in arranging all our tours, including a fantastic day at the Terracotta Army museum. He was one of the most outstanding concierge representatives I have ever had the pleasure of working with. He arranged every request with the utmost attention to detail! Everything he did for us, turned out perfectly! From airport transportation to private tours!! We had a wonderful time and recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to enjoy all that Xi'an has to offer! Highly recommend a visit to the Muslim Quarter as well. So fun!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 80Countries

Dear guest,

Thank you very much indeed for taking time to provide us your comments following your recent stay with us. I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that the facilities and services of the hotel lived up to your expectation. This is certainly what we strive to achieve but I am grateful to you for letting me know that on this occasion we made it.

I particularly appreciated your giving me the name of people who excelled and it was a great pleasure to share your compliments with Daniel. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our ambassadors as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back in near future.