“Friendly convenient”

Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square
Ranked #7 of 2,658 Hotels in Xi'an
Reviewed April 28, 2013

This is a nice hotel in easy walking distance of the shops and department stores and food areas. The staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfasts were excellent. The rooms were good and our family had one king bed room which had extra space and a wonderful bathroom. There was a nice garden to wander around.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
SofitelXian, Manager at Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you very much indeed for taking time to provide us your comments following your recent stay with us.

I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that the facilities and services of the hotel lived up to your expectation. This is certainly what we strive to achieve but I am grateful to you for letting us know that on this occasion we made it.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back in near future.

Sofitel Xi'an on Renmin Square

Write a ReviewReviews (2,368)

Reviewed April 28, 2013

This is really a conference hotel complex. The Sofitel itself is split into two wings, East and West, with a long walk between them, especially if you're staying in the one without the breakfast restaurant. The undeground pasageway is lined with art but it's creepy overall. When you check in, they try to sell you a larger room; if you don't take it, you're placed in the far away wing. The service is OK, polite but maybe not quite as friendly as at other hotels I've stayed at in China. I had an early morning flight and since I had paid for breakfast with the room, they told me they'd prepare a breakfast box for me to take with me. It wasn't there the morning I had to leave. There was no iron in the room and when I asked for one, they sent a broken one. I asked for another and it still didn't work so I gave up. The bed was really sagging on the side near the telephone, no doubt where all the business people sit while on the phone. You can walk to both the city wall and to the Muslim Quarter, Drum Tower, etc. but it's a long walk. There is nothing immediately around the hotel in the way of restaurants, etc. I'd stay elsewhere if I return to Xian. I ate lunch at the Hilton one day when I was walking back from the city wall and the staff there was so much friendlier. .The Sofitel is not a terrible place to stay and it is certainly clean. It would be fine if you wrere there for a business conference in the hotel complex or if you're elite in the frequent guest program. Otherwise, I'd find somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
2  Thank dlf_fla
SofitelXian, Manager at Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

The location is great and the staff is nice. The rooms are pretty big and clean. The buffet for the breakfast is good. Xi'An is a very nice place to go. Don't miss the city and the terra cota soldiers.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank cedricboston

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Very attractive hotel that has really good public spaces. The room was very clean and comfortable.
Thanks to Gil and crew at the buffet breakfast or making our mornings so pleasant. We especially enjoyed the crispy waffles. We ate at the sushi restaurant, Koi, and the Chinese restaurant, Le Chinois. Both served good (not great), fresh food but the service at both restaurants was inattentive. It was good to have dining options onsite if you are tired from travel or sightseeing. However you have to make a long walk to the West tower if you want a bar drink as there is only a wine bar in the East tower.
The gym was small and no antibacterial wipes were available. They also had run out of towels at the pool one afternoon. We visited the spa but there was no real spa experience. You sit in a public area while waiting for your treatment and receive a reflexology foot massage fully dressed in a room with other chairs (although no one was there but my friend). After the treatment our therapists stood up and "said" they were done and left us. Truthfully I have never visited a hotel spa that didn't have a lounge where they served water and you could sit and relax in a fluffy robe. To make our "spa" experience worse my friend's therapist merely rubbed her whole foot back and forth repeatedly and performed no reflexology therapy. He even took a phone call in the middle of her treatment and just banged on her leg. Normally we would have complained but neither our therapists nor spa staff spoke English.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Dear guest,

At the meantime, I was concerned to learn that the spa experience you and your friend encountered. I am truly sorry for the inconvenience because of this and we are following up now to determine how to ensure that such problem does not recur in the future.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

We arrived early morning in Xi'an and left late the next day so only stayed in the hotel for one night but there are so many amenities and it is such a pleasent hotel that a longer stay would be very nice.

The rooms were very comfortable, kitted out with everything you could possibly need. The only downside was that the walls were rather thin and, as the people in the next room were having a noisy party until 3am, getting to sleep was a bit of a problem.

We ate our evening meal in the hotel, I found the pasta slightly stodgy, otherwise everything was gorgeous (best tomato soup I've ever tasted!). The tables are set a little too close together to get any privacy.

The all-you-can-eat breakfast was a bargain at 158 yuan per couple and the variety was excellent.

I didn't expect Xi'an to be quite so built up within the city walls and it was very difficult to get a taxi back to the hotel so we walked. The hotel is centrally situated so ideal for walking to the Bell and drum tower and even as far as the city gates.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,

At the meantime, I was concerned to learn that the disturbance you encountered during the night. I am truly sorry for the inconvenience because of this and we are following up now to determine how to ensure that such problem does not recur in the future.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Like many people visiting Xian, the first priority is the Terracotta Warriors and Sofitel in Xian is the ideal base. Our room was amazing. It had a lovely bathroom and also another toilet and shower room. The hotel is very centrally located and I would highly recommend it. It would be worth staying in Xian for longer just to stay at this excellent hotel

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
SofitelXian, Manager at Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

April 27, 2013

Reviewed April 25, 2013

The Accor in Xi'an was beyond our expectations. Luxurious and comfortable it was worth every RMB we spent. We used the hotel as our base to explore the city, the staff was helpful but not overbearing.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family