“Nice hotel but the toilet bowl blocked”

Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square
Ranked #7 of 2,688 Hotels in Xi'an
Reviewed January 3, 2013

1  Thank TerracottaPP
SofitelXian, Manager at Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Write a ReviewReviews (2,386)

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Very nice hotel. I have been to Xian twice previously on business staying at other hotels but this was a leisure trip.
We were upgraded to a suite and the Club Lounge and both were excellent. The ladies in the lounge were extremely helpful and friendly, particularly Annie.
Facilities overall were excellent.
Thought the Azur restaurant was overrated and overpriced but it was Christmas night when we went and the place was packed - the Chinese really seem to get into the spirit of Christmas. We normally drink wine at home and this can be a very expensive exercise anywhere in Asia.
Location is good, only a few blocks from the Drum and Bell Towers and Muslim Street with plenty to see along the way, although at -2C the walk was a bit of a struggle.
Only minor gripe was the room temperature which was too hot and we could not change it. Apparently the cooling is turned off in winter.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind comments on hotel ambassadors. I am glad you found them to be kind and friendly, as that is absolutely the way we would like our guests to feel when they are staying with us. We are very selective with our recruitment in terms of hiring people who have the right disposition for our hospitality industry. Your endorsement is encouraging and certainly suggests that we are indeed recruiting the right people. I thank you again for it.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back in near future.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

- enjoyed at the club room - the superior room was upgraded to suite.

- the atmosphere of the hotel was relaxing

-Good restaurants

- friendly staff

- you can hear noises from adjacent room (only this i didn't like it)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
SofitelXian, Manager at Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you very much indeed for taking time to provide us your comments following your recent stay with us. I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that the facilities and services of the hotel lived up to your expectation.

At the meantime, I was very concerned to read of your comments relating to the disturbance/noise from the next door. I do sincerely apologize. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and I look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Xian in the near future.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Wonderful property, amazing rooms and well located nearby all the action of downtown Xi'an (close but not too close). What more could you ask for! Really impressed by the quality of the rooms. Welcome treat of chocolate and macaroons when getting to the room - really started off our stay on the right foot! You can tell the rooms are a little older, but they're very well taken care of. Reception and concierge staff are very friendly and go out of their way to help make arrangements for you. If you get a chance, check out the on-site chinese restaurant (Was called Chinoise I believe). It was quite good! We booked our room including breakfast - great selection and quality of food at breakfast. Only downside was the pool - really showing some age, and was not as well looked after - a bit dirty round the edges.

Room Tip: If you're traveling with a family, try and book a suite. It has two separate rooms (each with a...

Dear guest,

Thank you very much indeed for taking time to provide us your comments following your recent stay with us. I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

At the meantime, I was very concerned to read of your comments relating to the swimming pool. Clearly we have some spaces to improve in this area and I do sincerely apologize. I greatly appreciated your brining it to my attention. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

If you are going to see the Terra Cotta Warriors in Xi'an, this is the place to stay. The room was modern and luxurious and we had access to the concierge floor which was very nice. The breakfast and lunch buffet were elaborate and they have a number of choices for restaurants in the hotel. Xi'an is not an easy city to get around, so having choices in the hotel was great.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you very much indeed for taking time to provide us your comments following your recent stay with us. I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, the breakfast in particular.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
SofitelXian, Manager at Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2012

Reviewed December 27, 2012

We spent 2 nights here as part of a China tour. My review is based on previous experience with Sofitel in NY and other top hotels such as Shangri-la in HK and Four seasons in Singapore.

The location is ok rather than great. It will be about a 10-15 min walk to the better eating spots.

Pros
- decent sized rooms
- excellent helpful staff, even when I called late at night with room heating problems
- good room service menus and prices not too outrageous
- decent breakfast (other than my points below)
- good turn down service with fruit and macaroons provided. Again, the hotel has no idea how to make proper macaroons. These were more like macaroon biscuits!

Cons
- air conditioning does not work well despite changing rooms. Some friends staying at the same hotel in the other wing had similar problems and between us, we covered four rooms
- first room had a badly constructed bathroom that was prone to leakage when showering
- hotel has no idea how to make proper tea. English breakfast tea in the morning is left to stew in the teapot. I tried Chinese tea at their cafe and staff don't allow the tea any time to soak I.e they pour water into the infuser and immediately empty the tea into a cup.
- low quality coffee at breakfast

Minor irritations
- useless shaving mirror, not fixed to anything
- the first room had a missing light fitting and some cheap looking object stuck untidily to the bathroom mirror

Overall, I had high expectations for Sofitel and these were not met. My experience was akin to a holiday inn rather than a premium five star hotel.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kevin P

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problems and prevent future occurrence.