“good hotel staff . Concierge staff always friendly.”

Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square
Ranked #7 of 2,578 Hotels in Xi'an
“good hotel staff . Concierge staff always friendly.”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The traffic in Xi'an now get really crowded when it was during roush hours. If u decide to travel around by public u'd better get rid of this place. Otherwise, u come here for business it will be a good place for your stay. The breakfast here is just average but u can always find good staff that really done a good job.

• Stayed November 2012
QualityDirector, Manager at Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

At the same time, you have indicated that you were less than fully satisfactory with the breakfast. I am truly sorry that this was a disappointment. Please rest assured that we have brought this to the attention of the relevant departments.

Sofitel on Renmin Square Xi'an

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Lebanon, Tennessee
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Sofitel Xi'an. The hotel is very luxurious and the service is very attentive. I did experience two issues that I should mention: while we reserved a non-smoking room, it was obvious that we had been given a smoking room on a smoking floor. It was an upgraded room and very spacious but smoking nonetheless. We asked to be moved and was changed to another floor and the original (smaller) room. The room was still spacious but my husband said he could smell smoke as well. I didn't smell it and in order to get settled, we stayed. The bathrooms are very nice with little touches such as toothbrushes, loofahs and bath salts. The second issue we faced was the lack of air conditioning as the room was quite hot. When we called down, the front desk said they would send someone up while we were out. We found out later the most hotels in China shut down their air conditioning during the off season, but the hotel didn't tell us that. As you can imagine, the room remained warm. We were able to open a window and cool it down, but the hotel was not forthcoming. The window option works if the air is not too bad. Regardless, the Sofitel is a wonderful hotel and we'd stay there again. If you are interested in dinner, I can't recommend the new Brazilian Steakhouse enough. The food was outstanding, the service was exemplary and the ribs alone was worth the trip!

Room Tip: Realize that a non-smoking room may not be. If you are traveling off season, the air conditioning s...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
QualityDirector, Manager at Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much indeed for taking time to provide us your comments following your recent stay with us.I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your meals in our newly opened BBQ restaurant, I really appreciated your feedback on this.

At the meantime, you have indicated that you were slightly less than fully satisfied with the room allocation and the temperature in your room. I am truly sorry that this was a disappointment and Please rest assured that we have brought this to the attention of the relevant departments.

Yours sincerely,

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Upon check in at the hotel, we were immediately upgraded to the next room category without us even asking. The room is beautiful. Beds are comfortable with nice sheets and mattresses that are a little hard for American standards but still okay. The bathroom comes with lots of little amenities like toothbrushes, free bottled water, a loofah, nail care kit, bath salt, etc... Downstairs, there is free coffee, tea, and great croissants every day. My only complaint is that the heating system in the hotel appears to be broken which is unfortunate because it's quite chilly outside. They brought us a portable heater which worked well but we didn't ask for it until the second night so we had one cold night before we called the front desk. I don't know if it is unusual for them to have heating problems.

Room Tip: I would request a room in the main building. If we want to get breakfast in the restaurant or go to...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jb1029

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 2, 2012

This is a very peasant well appointed hotel in a good position in Xian. Rooms have wifi. It is a long walk to the drum tower etc, but you can walk it if you choose. Breakfast is good but quite a walk if you are in the wrong wing of the hotel, as the hotel is spread over two separate buildings but only one offers breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
QualityDirector, Manager at Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this review, November 3, 2012

Yours sincerely,

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 2, 2012

The room was relatively large and reasonably well appointed. It was nice to sit on a lounge rather than being confined to sitting on a bed or one of those standard hotel chairs to chat or watch a little bit of TV. We had just come from staying at the Raffles Beijing so almost every other hotel pales in comparison.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you very much indeed for taking time to provide us your comments following your recent stay with us. I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that the room facilities and services of the hotel lived up to your expectation.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back in near future.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Lovely hotel with excellent service. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in this well maintained and secure property. As keen photographers we found the location excellent to develop a portfolio of the city inside and outside the wall. The sight of huge chimneys belching smoke 24 hours hours a day is truly shocking but part of the life in Xian.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind comments on Sofitel Renmin Square Xi’an. It was with great pleasure that I read these comments and it will be with equal pleasure that I share your compliments with all of our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our ambassadors as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experience, and we look forward to welcoming you back in near future.

Nashville
Reviewed October 31, 2012

This hotel looks nice, but in the end there was little to like about it. I specifically requested a nonsmoking room when I made the reservation. The first room I was assigned was on a smoking floor and of course reeked of smoke. I requested and received a new room on a nonsmoking floor. This room seemed OK, so I settled in. I later discovered that the linens all smelled of smoke, but it was too late to switch rooms again. The room was a little warm, so I adjusted the air conditioning. By the next morning the room had become uncomfortably warm, so I called the front desk. They said someone would come up to look at it while I was out. The room remained uncomfortably warm for the rest of my stay even with the window open. Turns out the hotel turns off all air conditioning during the Fall and Winter seasons. This is simply unacceptable at a 5-star luxury hotel. As a final insult, I was charged 150RMB plus tolls for a taxi to the airport. That is about 30RMB more than the meter and that extra money goes to the Sofitel.

If you find yourself at this Sofitel, do yourself a favor and have dinner at Churrasco. It is a Brazilian BBQ restaurant that just opened in September 2012. It is not listed on the Sofitel website, which is a shame because it was the highlight of my stay at this hotel. The food is fantastic and the staff is very attentive.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
QualityDirector, Manager at Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we have brought this to the attention of the relevant departments.