“Why would you stay anywhere else”

Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square
Ranked #7 of 2,578 Hotels in Xi'an
Portland, Oregon
“Why would you stay anywhere else”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Hotel perfectly located in the center of the old city. Within easy walking distance to any attractions within the wall, or jump in a taxi for only a few of dollars will get you anywhere within the walled city. The hotel has both a Chinese and European feel and amenities. The staff are extremely attentive and accommodating. Hotel is has everything you need. The breakfast and dinner buffets are superb with tastes from all over the world. Rooms are spacious with well sized bathrooms. Value for money cannot be beaten with all the 5 star comforts that you expect and more.

Only let down is booking a non-smoking room, it means a very well cleaned, I even found on the non-smoking floors there were still people smoking. This is due to the Chinese smoking culture that you cannot get away from anywhere.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Graham H
QualityDirector, Manager at Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind comments on Sofitel Renmin Square Xi’an. It was with great pleasure that I read these comments and it will be with equal pleasure that I share your compliments with all of our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our ambassadors as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Meanwhile, you have indicated that you were slightly less than fully satisfied with the non-smoking room and floor during your stay. I am truly sorry that this was a disappointment and we are following up now to determine how to ensure that such an inconvenience does not recur in the future.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

hm@renminsquare.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
xian
Reviewed July 29, 2012

i have been here 11 month ago and came back to xian for a weekend.

i was so delighted by the buffet at the azur in september 2011. at that time the chef just set up a wonderful buffet and explained me all dishes, created delicious specials for me. it was the best experience i had in a hotel restaurant.

when i came back in june 2012 it was a disaster. dirty buffet, average food, careless service and no "love or passion" for details.

just average. it is a shame for sofitel . they must have changed the chef ?!?

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Stefan12Xian
Dear guest,

Thank you very much indeed for taking time to provide us your comments following your recent stay with us. I was very concerned to read of your comments relating to the buffet in restaurant. I wish to apologize for the unpleasant dining experience at the Azure restaurant. Following up on your comments, an investigation has been launched. Our hotel seeks to provide quality food and beverage. All ambassadors in the restaurant and kitchen were again stressed on the importance of the quality of food and service. We are also discussing with our chefs to improve the variety of our buffet spread. We thank you very much for your valuable comments.

Pleasant Valley, New York
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I was told that it was the best hotel in town, but my room was dark, lightbulbs were never replaced, the bathrooms are poly designed with the shower door opening onto the toilet and the bathroom light flooding the bedroom at night through a translucent wall. I was given a smoking room despite asking of nonsmoking and the service from the staff was poor. I asked twice for turndown service on the same night to boy a western and chinese manager and it never got done. Pool and health club are small. Food looks great, but taste does not measure up. Surprised as this is a French Hotel and they should be able to get a baguette correct.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
QualityDirector, Manager at Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this review, July 29, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much indeed for taking time to provide us your comments following your recent stay with us. I was very concerned to read of your comments relating to the room allocation,the dark lights in the room and the slow turndown service. Clearly we performed very poorly in these areas and I do sincerely apologize. I greatly appreciated your brining them to my attention to enable me to take necessary remedial action.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Xi;an, China
Reviewed July 28, 2012

the hotel has good locaiton and the most of their satff with good service and espericaly, one girl named Lucy ,always help most guests
and the hotel close to city wall and the bell and drum tower and you can walk around by yourself in evening
one more good thing is the food offered in hotel is best ! even the price is more expensive than the resturants in outside while worthy to try it
and hotel offer the simple map for the guest andf easy for them to find the places they want

Room Tip: you can book the room by internent and this can help you get good price or book the hotel by local t...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank jeffyang
Dear guest,

Thank you very much indeed for taking time to provide us your comments following your recent stay with us. I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that the facilities and services of the hotel lived up to your expectation. This is certainly what we strive to achieve but I am grateful to you for letting me know that on this occasion we made it.

I particularly appreciated your giving me the name of people who excelled and it was a great pleasure to share your compliments with her. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our ambassadors as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back in near future.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 25, 2012

You will love this hotel if you like the amenities in a new hotel. Staff are excellent and happy to make any arrangements you need. Excellent coffee shop. A really nice spread at the buffet and very vegetarian friendly. I think this place lacks a chinese feel. It is very cosmopolitan but if you are looking for an authentic chinese experience, this may not be for you. If you like western comforts though, this is great!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ramgopal V
Dear guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

At the same time, we’d like to take this opportunity to introduce to you our Chinese restaurant - Le Chinois, where elegant arts and luxurious decorations are found everywhere inside the Le Chinois Chinese restaurant. The major style is Cantonese – however offering also spicy Sichuan food. The local chefs are also able to demonstrate the art of making noodles, as well, presenting famous Xian Cold dishes to impress our guests. The various famous brands of Chinese tea like Tiet Quan Yin, Long Jin and Poh Erh are available for guests to experience.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming again to the Sofitel Xi’an on your next visit here. I look forward to that occasion and until then, I remain.

New York City, New York
Reviewed July 25, 2012

The breakfast here is unbelievable.
Their dinner buffet puts all other hotel restaurants to shame.
All that and wine or beer included.
Stay in the west wing if you can.
This is a great hotel!
The room was extremely quiet facing the square.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Sapo59
Dear guest,

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your breakfast and dinner in our restaurants, I really appreciated your feedback on these and I am glad that both areas lived up to your expectations. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our ambassadors as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our food & beverage and services.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Stay 5 nights in the hotel with 2 rooms and stayed in West wing. Not sure if there is an austerity drive, but liquid soap and shampoo not refilled even if half used. But great rooms and turn down service, sometimes forgetting the bedside chocolates and replacement of toilet rug. And there is also morning free tea/coffee and macaroons at lobby. Hotel is convenient and allowed late checkouts. In house Jap food is not bad.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank airworm
QualityDirector, Manager at Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback, while I noted your good compliments in areas of F&B service and outlets, I regret to note your displeasure over the services by the housekeeping team members. Please accept our apologies of any inconvenience caused.