“Good Location but haggard looking hotel”
Review of Wenyuan Hotel

Wenyuan Hotel
Ranked #590 of 2,688 Hotels in Xi'an
Reviewed November 10, 2011

I with my two other friends stayed in this hotel for two days in Sept . 2011. All the rooms were booked by my chinese counterpart. These large rooms are definitely not pleasant to stay and hence very chepely priced. The location of this hotel in this city center is very good and that is the only plus point of this hotel which provides easy access to many local attractions like the Bell and Drum Towers, the Giant Wild Goose Pagoda. Thre is local market on the back of the hotel and many antique shops are at the facade of the hotel itself. If you enjoy crowd then come out in the evening to have look the same. There are many small enclosed gardens are there infront of the hotel that give a good look on th efront side.In the midnight also one can find many people moving around outside the hotel and people selling on the pavements. Breakfast in the hotel is better to be avoided if one is not from China. Although we have always our chinese freinds with us, but definitely one shall experience difficulty at the reception counter without knowlege of local language. Except its location, the hotel is nothing great to offer.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed May 20, 2009

I stayed in this hotel for 2nights in nov'08 and paid 45USD per room per night. At such a cheap rate, all i can is cheap price equals to cheap hotel. If all you are looking for is a clean decent place to rest for the night after a long day of sightseeing and you are on a tight budget, then this hotel may suit you, The bed, sheets and towels are certainly clean although i wouldnt walk bare footed in the room cos the carpet looks old and dirty. Also my room does not smell like a cigararette ashtray like some people said..My only complaint would be that the toilet is in bad need of renovation, It is very very old. Water leaks from the bathtub and before you know it, the whole bathroom floor is wet each time you shower. I got a room that overlooked the backlane of some apartments so there is really not much to see from the window except the night lights from the sky scrappers, Location of this hotel is ideal though, it is centrally located in the heart of the city. So if you are coming in from the airport and you are taking the airport shuttle bus, the bus stop would be jus opposite the hotel. For those who cant steer away from western food in china, mac donalds is jus 2min walk from the hotel, The famous muslim quarters with many delicious local fare can be found jus behind the hotel. If you are deciding between melody or this hotel, i would suggest to take the shaanxi because i took a look at the melody hotel and it looks dark and sleazy. I would give the shaanxi wenyuan hotel a 2star rating in comparison with international hotels.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 27, 2009

I´ve been in this Hotel in the end of march 2009. The staff was friendly and the english conversation was acceptable. Against the ads there was no KTV and the western restaurant was the same like the chinese. Just a part of the menu was translated in english, but no western food offered. The huge ordinary breakfast menu was only chinese style. After I ordered a western breakfast I got fried eggs, chips, bacon and two toast with butter& marmelade. Coffe was just a small cup of Nescafé. The price for breakfast was 30 RMB. The condition of the room was ok, clean and a waterbed was included. If you need extraordinary food& services better choose an other hotel. For the value and chinese standards this hotel is good for tourists and short time accommodation.
Richtmeister

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 5, 2008

Avoid this hotel. Refused to honour my reservation made with Venere.com, even though the room was available. Claimed that they never sell rooms at that rate, and that they did not believe my booking. However, at the time of writing this they are still advertising that rate through the Venere.com website! I had to check in at a higher rate.

The room had no windows, and the air conditioning was not up to standard. The room had an unpleasant musty odour. I have had to take a course of antibiotics for a cough that came on while I was staying in the room.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank Keystone_england
Reviewed April 7, 2008

Arrived at hotel having pre-booked suite with KING size bed and breakfast based on 2 persons. We complained when were given a double bed and informed breakfast was just for 1 person. (Breakfast is chinese breakfast standard, but they do say they can supply Western breakfast, - this however is not the case and you will end up wasting time trying to deal with this). Staff did not speak English and just giggled with each other; it was only after a helpful English speaking tour advisor based in the hotel came to help we could really get anywhere to resolving our problem. To cut a very long story short, we ended up having to pay for an 'upgrade' just to get the room we had already booked. Several other guests had the same problem and a couple checked out early as could not deal with the staff. Overall this is good location, but there are better hotels at same rates you will pay here, and you will be dealt with in a professional way. We would suggest you do not stay here.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Ni B
Reviewed February 24, 2008

Stayed here in January. Booked hotel on Travelocity which interestingly categorized rooms and price by size of room ( # square meters ). When I checked in, I had to wait for their one english speaking front desk person, then was told my room price was higher than the reservation ( I successfully disagreed), then was given a smaller room than I had booked ( I successfully changed to correct size ), and then was treated very graciously to breakfast even though we were late for it. Overall - it took way too long to check in and wasted too much of our precious time. Room we got was very nice, but you must know that you have to go outside in order to go from one building to another, and this was January and it had snowed the night before ( first time in 2 years - my luck). Breakfast was OK - Asian stuff is better than western - you can always eat their "porridge" - a kind of rice gruel. Western was fried eggs, toast, bacon. Coffee is extra with either breakfast, but tea is included. ( I travel with a small jar of instant coffee - its easier.) . A second cup of coffee with breakfast is a second charge......Directly behind hotel is moslem market which is great fun, and then moslem restaurant street which has very good food ( definitely eat dinner there ), and next to hotel is moslem mosque ( you won't recognize it - doesn't look like a mosque - looks like a pagoda.) You can walk to most of the central things to see, so that is good too. Big problem was the only english speaking bellhop who appears shortly after anyone speaks english anywhere in the hotel. He seems so nice and helpful, but he really will rip you off. We arranged a car and driver through him to see the terracotta soldiers, and he lied repeatedly about when the driver would show up ( later and later and later ), but we waited because he had promised this was a very good and safe driver ( not the norm in china ), and then when he finally showed up, bellhop said we can't go to all the places we had agreed upon and that ending up at the airport would cost an extra 100 yuan even though our last sight was literally 1 exit down the highway from the airport. I refused to pay more and insisted on the itinerary we had agreed upon. This took some extremely strong words from me and back up from my companion ( Tip - in china, having more than one person saying something is VERY helpful to getting the goal accomplished. They tend to do things by a group effort _ ex. - western ppl ordering in a restaurant generally takes anywhere from 3-5 waiters /waitresses/managers to get it done. So when foreigners need to get something done, adopting this same " group style" is very effective. I guess there is strength in numbers) Anyhow, the saga continues. Turns out the driver spoke no english, drove about 70 mph on icy roads without even slowing on curves, ( and ice is unusual in that area, so he is not experienced with it, but the thruway was closed bec of accidents, so... ), and then driver decided to stop at a factory along the way ( not on itinerary) ( I refused to get out of car), and all day long there were numerous phone calls back to bellhop and then the driver handing me the phone so the bellhop could tell me that we won't be able to go to the places on the itinerary because of a different reason each time, to just cut the itinerary short and come see things in the town center. I refused, we did the entire itinerary, and then the driver took us to the airport. I don't think he'd ever been there before because he didn't even take us to the terminal- finally he stopped the car and we just got out, got our luggage, and by that time, ran to the terminal.
Overall - the hotel is nice, the location is really good, they won't speak alot of english, and don't use the bellhop.

Stayed: January 2008
3  Thank neverstoptraveling
Reviewed October 30, 2007

This hotel is in a great location for the excellent street food of the nearby Muslim Quarter. Beware though, when they say spicy the food is delicious but very spicy! There is also a food market directy behind the hotel. I have to agree with the comments made by the previous reviewer. Large room, bathroom a bit tired but quiet and the usual hard beds of chinese hotels. Breakfast was a chinese buffet with watermelon and some cakes. We asked for a Western breakfast and were duly dished up fried eggs and the works. Had a coffee in the lobby on our first day but in the evening the coffe bar was closed so had to resort to going to the nearby McDonalds to get a coffee. The one and only visit in 51 days of travel.
Had a wonderful visit to Xian including cycling on the city walls, visiting the hot springs and a wonderful foot massage.
When we went out at night we got a surprise at the hotels on the street all colourfully lit up not to mention the bustling about of vendors and people/shops on the street below the hotel and in fromt of the hotel!!! In China they love to light things up.
A great location and a good value hotel - it beat some of the so called 4 star hotels we stayed at later in our trip.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple