“Perfect stay in wonderful Xian”

Grand Mercure Xian on Renmin Square
Ranked #9 of 2,616 Hotels in Xi'an
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My wife and I originally booked at the Mercure, but they were renovating so we got an upgrade to the grand Mercure. This hotel was perfect. Beautiful rooms, great location and above all the best staff of any place we stayed in China. They bent over backwards to do everything they could for us. We were really impressed with this place.

W also ate at the Brazilian BBQ restaurant in the Sofitel and it was excellent as well. Great staff and food, totally worth checking out while you're there.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mikewiles
SofitelXian, Manager at Grand Mercure Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Dear guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Grand Mercure Xian on Renmin Square. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Grand Mercure Xi'an on Renmin Square

There are newer reviews for Grand Mercure Xian on Renmin Square

Reviewed February 7, 2013

The room was big and clean. The bathroom was pretty big as well. The breakfast was a mix of Asian and western with a lot of different selections. The hallway and lobby area were pretty cold during the winter (you need to wear a jacket in the lobby). The staff was very nice and helpful, some English was better than others.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank groovyb
SofitelXian, Manager at Grand Mercure Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Dear guest,

At the meantime, I was very concerned to learn that you found the temperature of hotel lobby disappointing. I am truly sorry for the inconvenience because of this and we are following up now to determine how to ensure that such a defect does not recur in the future.

Grand Mercure Xi'an on Renmin Square

Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

We originally booked to stay at the Mecure but due to it being the winter period the Mecure was closed so we were upgraded to the Grand Mecure. The Mecure, Grand Mecure and The Sofitel all exist within a gated community that also contains a variety of restaurants and lovely gardens.
Although the staff were friendly at the Grand Mecure we found the staff at the Sofitel much more helpful particularly when it came to organising a tour to the warriors and getting to tourist spots. Xi'an is very difficult to get around. The help that the staff at the Sofitel gave us was invaluable. They organised transport and gave us some good advice. Don't expect to be able to catch a taxi in Xian. They don't stop.
We were very happy with our stay at the Grand Mecure. The rooms were clean, the atmosphere quiet and the environment welcoming.

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Grand Mercure on Renmin Square Xian. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Grand Mercure Xian on Renmin Square

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed at the Grand Mercure for two nights while we were in Xi’an to see the terra cotta warriors.

The Grand Mercure is located in the lovely Renmin Square, where the Sofitel and Mercure are also located. It’s almost like a gated community with hotel blocks, set in a peaceful and beautifully landscaped square away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

I was a little disappointed when I arrived at the lobby of the Grand Mercure. It was small with only a couple of counters for check-in, not at all what I would expect for a four-star hotel. In fact, the lobby of the Mercure looks even better than the Grand Mercure, which puzzled me as it was quite a bit less expensive.

The service we received at check-in was great. Overall, the room was alright, Chinese 4-star standard. I was surprised at how much the room service cost. The food itself was pretty good and the breakfast set we ordered was a lot of food for one person. I’d advise to order local Chinese food from the menu as they don’t do Western food very well. The eggs Benedict we ordered came with spam and a suspect ‘Hollandaise’ sauce.

The hotel is about 20min from the Muslim Quarter, where the ‘night life’ was with its street eats and stalls.

The Grand Mercure would be more than sufficient if you’re looking for just an average hotel to spend a night or two while you sightsee Even so, the Mercure would probably be a better option for less.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dashador
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed here for two nights during a longer tour of China. This hotel is nicely appointed, in a good location for exploring the City. Rooms are clean, stylishly decorated with all the usual amenities expected of a good quality hotel. Staff were attentive and helpful and most spoke good English. Food a little on the expensive side and not many western choices if you are tiring of chinese food by the time you get here. Wine very expensive.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Stayed in a standard room for two nights after being upgraded from the Mercure. I was generally impressed with the room size and amenities. The room did feel a little dated but was impeccably clean. Location was great too - in a quiet area but still very close to the railway station where you can get the bus to the Terracotta Warriors. Staff were lovely and spoke great English, and check in and out was very fast. I had a very early flight out of Xi'an and the staff were very helpful in organising a taxi to the airport. My main issues with the room were the dim lighting and slow aircon. The aircon was set to high when I arrived and the room was insufferably hot for the next two days even though I adjusted the settings. This made sleeping particularly difficult! My other issue was the breakfast buffet, which didn't look as if it was being regularly replenished and when I ate there, not much variety was available. However since I received the upgrade from the Mercure, I only paid the Mercure price for breakfast, so I think I still got my money's worth.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank EM1994
Reviewed January 13, 2013

What a difference after the devastating we had experienced in Beijing... There is a huge difference in the service and quality given between Western chain hotels and 5 star Chinese state hotels....
The welcoming, the friendliness, the service everything was outstanding .
BEAUTIFUL, COMFORTABLE AND QUIET rooms; superb bathrooms;
I just loved it
People really tried to help you make your stay as pleasant as possible.
The only regret I had was tha t we had only 2 nights here...

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple