We stayed at the Grand Mercure for two nights while we were in Xi’an to see the terra cotta warriors.
The Grand Mercure is located in the lovely Renmin Square, where the Sofitel and Mercure are also located. It’s almost like a gated community with hotel blocks, set in a peaceful and beautifully landscaped square away from the hustle and bustle of the city.
I was a little disappointed when I arrived at the lobby of the Grand Mercure. It was small with only a couple of counters for check-in, not at all what I would expect for a four-star hotel. In fact, the lobby of the Mercure looks even better than the Grand Mercure, which puzzled me as it was quite a bit less expensive.
The service we received at check-in was great. Overall, the room was alright, Chinese 4-star standard. I was surprised at how much the room service cost. The food itself was pretty good and the breakfast set we ordered was a lot of food for one person. I’d advise to order local Chinese food from the menu as they don’t do Western food very well. The eggs Benedict we ordered came with spam and a suspect ‘Hollandaise’ sauce.
The hotel is about 20min from the Muslim Quarter, where the ‘night life’ was with its street eats and stalls.
The Grand Mercure would be more than sufficient if you’re looking for just an average hotel to spend a night or two while you sightsee Even so, the Mercure would probably be a better option for less.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Mercure Renmin Square is a heritage hotel, first opened in 1957 and is located in the grounds of Renmin Square. The hotel reflects the Sino Russian style of architecture, which is steeped in revolutionary history. There are 202 well appointed rooms, a restaurant and bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Accorhotels.com, Agoda, Expedia, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Mercure Xian on Renmin Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Mercure On Renmin Square Hotel Xi`An
- Mercure Xi An
- Accor Xi An
- Grand Mercure Xian On Renmin Square China/Shaanxi