Grand Mercure Xian on Renmin Square
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
All reviewsrenmin squareother hotelssame complexbell towermuslim quarterterracotta warriorsminute walkfront desk staffbreakfast buffethotel is locatedtaxi driverhuge bedcomfortable staystandard roomsofitel legendcomfortable hotelchinese food
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 7, 2012

This hotel is part of the Sofitel complex within the walls of Xian. A quiet park-like area with 3 or 4 hotels. The Sofitel is the main feature----fantastic choice of restaurants, lovely lobby and other public areas. We (5 of us---in 2 rooms) stayed at the Grand Mercure on the same property, at a lower rate than the Sofitel.

The rooms were excellent. Clean, western style---Great buffet breakfast with too many choices to remember. The majority of the staff spoke English-----including maids, bell boys, etc. When I askd a door man "where was the ATM machine"---He replied---"It is in the Sofitel across the street, and he proceeded to escort me there"...lovely touches...

Since we booked a package tour with China Odyssey Tours--I have no idea of the rates at this hotel, but we were very satisfied, and I would certainly stay there again.--Said to be 4 stars.. Only complaint----After our tour of the Warriors, etc---we were exhausted---and just wanted to plop down in our hotel with a small bite of dinner. There are NO restaurants open in this Mercure hotel for lunch or dinner. Only breakfast is served. And so--we had to go to the Sofitel, not far---just a cold run--in December---about a block away...and that dinner was fine....

China Odyssey Tours booked 4 city hotels for us---plus domestic China flights, and in-city tours.
The prices were not broken down, but seemed quite good for the 5 of us----Enjoy......

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank drzx2
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Stayed one night in December 2011. Cost £40 for a double, without breakfast. Room was clean and large. The location is very convenient. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Wanli
Reviewed December 29, 2011

Keep in mind we arrived at his hotel after 24 hours on a train in China. Our stay at the hotel was just wonderful. Our room was large and well furnished with a comfortable king size bed - much softer than traditional Chinese hotel beds. The bathroom was modern and exceptionally clean. Breakfast, which was included, was probably the best we had in all of China with a huge selection served in a very appetizing manner.

In addition, the entire Sofitel complex (which is quite extensive) was available for our use. All the restaurants served delicious, clean food.

I would recommend this hotel for anyone staying in Xi'an. It is a nice break from more Chinese hotels. One note, we were on a non smoking floor, but even then there was the the odor of tobacco in the hallway. This is virtually unavoidable anywhere in China.

Room Tip: Ask for a non smoking floor.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NJLovestoTravel
Reviewed December 20, 2011

Stayed here for 6 nights mostly on the reviews on Tripadvisor. I was not disappointed as this is a very good place to stay.

The hotel is very well located is a park with several other prestige hotels. It is a gated complex with security on the gate (although no-one seemed to be challenge those who entered). You do however feel very safe here. For those who have travelled throughout China may have experienced some hotels do not have that safe feeling and often there can be cards placed under the door for other "activities". You have to wonder how this can happen without the management being aware of these things.
I booked the standard room which was very nice however the room was not that warn at night. On speaking to the front desk (Tina) I was moved to a larger room with an enormous king bed. This room was fabulous with large bath and shower (one cracked floor tile). Sheets, towels and bathroom accessories were all first class and a bathrobe "to die for". and yes the room was warm ... as it was literally freezing outside.

Breakfast is a buffet style (115RMB), perhaps a little expensive for China but worth every cent when good breakfasts in China seem few and far between. I was offered coffee as I sat down! There are satff everywhere and they are all friendly and attentive. Hot breakfast included plenty of bacon (soft and hard) sausages baked beans and eggs (cooked to your requirements by a chef that speaks English! Plenty of fruit and some different cereals. Overall, first class.

I wanted to see the warriors and had already been told by the taxi driver it would be 450 (RMB about $75US. However the doorman organised a taxi for 400 RMB and I had a great day. You can organise a local unregistered taxi down the street for 200RMB but I felt safer going through the hotel.

There are many thing to do Xian and it is a great place to visit. Don't try the street food however. I did and and had an uncomfortable night. Have a look through the markets and always pay at least 1/2 the asking price. They all speak a bit of English and know the value of your money. Eat in the hotel or the larger reseraunts in the shopping centres which are amazing eg Wanda Shopping Centre with the largest escalator I have ever seen.

If you get the opportunity go to Famen Temple (about 120klms from Xian). Interesting monestry and a large tower. It is the centre of Buddhism in China and also holds a very large Buddha (gold of course).

Back to the hotel. Front desk staff are excellent. All speak some level of English and the supervisors and very friendly and communicate well. Overall this a good place to stay, well located, friendly and very comfortable.

Room Tip: Take the room with a king bed they are larger and have a better bathroom
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank maestr0
Reviewed December 16, 2011

Only stayed there for 1 night, but I liked the service - both cleaning and front desk staff. They have a Business Center and first 15 minutes are free, then charged to your room.
As everywhere in China, tap water in undrinkable, so bottled water is provided.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family