Canaan International Hotel
$71
$387
$296
$63
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed January 11, 2009

I booked a basic non-smoking room but when I got there it was upgraded to a deluxe room for free.
The whole floor was non-smoking so that really wasn't a problem.

The room was huge and could actually be considered two rooms in one with one bed in each room. One very wide bed and another narrow but good for one.

The mattresses were firm and there was a nice selection of pillows some filled with seeds. The bed sheets were very clean and everything was quite comfortable.

The bathroom was clean and had a western style toilet and only a shower with no bathtub.
The standard amenities were provided (soap, shampoo, tooth brush and paste) as well as the usual discardable flip flops in China.

The rooms were reasonably clean and my only complaint is that the wallpaper had some stains and the room was worn-out but nothing of importance broken.

As a funny side note there was a basket in the bathroom selling underwear and condoms among other similar items.

The room was quiet and allowed for a good night of sleep.
There was in room internet access but I didn't try it out so can't comment on it.

The staff was nice with very limited command of english. Only two people spoke english with some fluency.
They were particularly nice to let me consult my email for free at their business center after checking out.

We had some problem getting to the hotel due to not having directions in chinese. Our taxi driver phoned the hotel and received directions on how to get there.

The hotel is very well located with both the railway station and the bell tower within 10 to 30 minutes of walking distance.

I checked in at around 10 AM and checked out at 7:30 AM and left our bags at the hotel for free.

The early check in was particularly nice.

The hotel was OK but nothing above average however notice I got one of their best rooms and not the most basic room I had booked.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank cvlx77
Reviewed December 20, 2008

Ok, so for the amount of money that you pay, fair enough it's not great. But really, I stayed at cheap hotels in Japan and were wayyy better and all I want is a clean bathroom, not one that stinks of ciggies, filled with condoms, mens underwear and genital cleaners! ( i was here for 2 nights only thank goodness, WITH THE PARENTS )
Also, toilet system here is not good since we clogged the toilets by flushing it. Your not meant to put tissue down the toilet. You throw it in the bin. Worst of all, we never even had toilet tissue provided for us! Housekeeper then tried to charge us for toilet tissue that we never even were given.

A big turn off was the menu in the restaurant . There was dog on it.

overall do not go here. It's in the back lane of the Hyatt, staff werent helpful neither friendly, and whenever we left the hotel I had to always lock me items up not feeling safe at all. During the night, my parents had something outside there room tugging at the door in the early morning.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank jacksonle
Reviewed November 10, 2008

I read the reviews after i booked the Canaan International and told my family we had a bad situation ahead of us , how wrong can you be , yes it is in a small street but no noise could be heard and it took a two minute walk to get a cab. The service from Leo on arrival to Jilly the lovely Reservation ex ecutive down through the staff was excellent.. i told Jilly of the bad reviews and went to every floor to try to get this "urine odour" what rubbish the place was impeccable, the spa great i didn't use the restuarant but looked in it was above good ,the beds great and the bellhop went out of his way to get us cabs to the station . I have stayed in over 90 hotels over the last 15 years of travel and the Canaan International is right up there with the best also very competitive in price. Im sorry now i didnt take pictures .

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank perk0
Reviewed July 24, 2008

I must report that this hotel is not to be fully recommended. The hotel is actually situated on the next street back from the main East road thoroughfare.

With due credit, my room was certainly not overpriced and a Chinese breakfast was thrown in for each morning of my stay.

However them room curtains are sure overdue a wash !

The Canaan gives me impression of being 'run down' ie; in need of renovation, face lift as such.

Since my room was ok , my stay was therfore pretty fine, however if you enjoy spending time around an hotel, then I'm afraid this would be a poor choice.

The elevator was ideed 'the slow boat to China'. The impatient please be aware !

One observation was the display of fish tanks on way into breakfast. To avoid sounding too off-putting, some of the fish were ' very motionless'.
The next morning they would appear in another tank ! again motionless !
I'd say something 'fishey' going on, not sure what the deal was here?

Regards breakfast time, please be present a half hour at least before closing. reason being that choice will thereafter become limited !

In summary, a good enough location and close to city centre, however many miles from being considered an international provider of accommodation.
Like i said, my room was good enough, but i reckon 'Canaan Cant ignore' the fact it needs Spruced up.

I also stayed at Grand new world hotel and for the extra money it would be a better choice to make.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank ritchey
Reviewed October 24, 2007

Me & my girlfriend stayed here back in August 2005. We had a little trouble finding the place as it is set back off the main street a little. When we arrived it looked as though they were still finishing it off, as there was stil some construction going on. The people behind the couter seemed friendly & more than happy to help.

Our room was was really good. There is nothing about the place that I can complain about. Everything seemed new, clean & best of all working. It is in a great location & I recommend the buffet breakfast across the road at the Hyatt. It's cheap & good.

We booked our tour to the Warriors in this hotel. It was quite easy to do. The only downside was that they guide spoke very little English. But that was back in 2005. It may of changed.

I would stay here again. It was a great price & a very reasonable standard. Especially for China.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled as a couple