“Lucky there's no competition” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Mississauga, Canada
“Lucky there's no competition”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

I've been coming to Xi'an for 2 months/year for about 6 years now. Colabo used to be one of the best restaurants in the city, but that was when there was little competition. The food and dining room are average (great for Western food in Xi'an). The service is friendly, but inflexible and lazy. At my last visit, my friend and I ordered the exact same pasta at the same time. The two orders arrived 30 minutes apart. Maybe it's their strategy - I ended up eating extra bread while I waited, which they charged me for. I tried to change my order to something faster, but they told me it was impossible. My friend was Chinese and very proud to be taking me there, so I didn't want him to lose face by cancelling my order and complaining. Otherwise, there's no way I would have waited so long for 200g of pasta.
This restaurant would not survive amid experienced, professional competition.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars

• Korean first
Xi'an, China
“It's good because there's little else...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

I have been to Colabo a few times while in Xi'an as I visit here regularly due to business. It's standard Italian fare but can be hit and miss. Some pizzas are good some are just covered in ingredients and cheesed to death. Food a tad over priced I feel. Caesar salad really is terrible and don't ask for any variations to any dish as you are likely to get a "No" as a response. The chocolate pudding desert is great though. Portions seem to keep getting smaller. Décor is very basic. However, it's still the best Italian food in Xi'an, so there you have it...

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Konrad8888
Avignon, France
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Go for the classic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I have heard about this restaurant when asking for western food (after 10 days of Chinese food non-stop, a break is always well appreciated).
The location is a bit strange, as it is in an office building. But once inside, you forget about how you came in.
Fuwuyuan are very welcoming.
My friend and I shared a carpaccio as a starter, delicious! Then she went for a pizza while I tried the salmon. The pizza was perfect, while my salmon was good, but nothing really special.
Panacotta as a dessert was a good choice. We haven't tried any other.

Price is very fair, considering the quality of the food.
Recommendation: go for the classic pizza, you won't be disappointed! ;)

• Visited September 2013
Blackheath NSW
“An Italian Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

We arrived at Colabo with some scepticism. Would it live up to our expectations or would it be like the pseudo French place down the road, serving abalone and with a massive photo of the Eiffel Tower the only sign of France that we could see.

From the moment we sat down in Colabo we were impressed by the enthusiasm, friendliness and efficiency of all the staff. They had been extremely well trained. The food was excellent and portions generous, though as non-Italians we wouldn't presume to say it was authentic. We'll leave that up to Italian natives but to our taste it was brilliant!

The restaurant filled up rapidly and it was encouraging to see that the numbers of staff increased proportionately. All through the evening we were well looked after and had a marvellous time.

Other reviewers are right ... if you're looking for Western food for a change, Colabo is the place to go.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Maggi W
Tartu, Estonia
“Very good food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

we were a bit tired of Chinese food, so chose this restaurant instead. It was a bit hard to find, but totally worth the long walk and wait. It's not cheap, but not expensive either for that quality. Wine was surprisingly good also. All in all, good experience!

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars

Been to Isola del Nord Italy Restaurant? Share your experiences!