Ways to Experience Shaanxi History Museum
from $38.00
from $17.50
from $40.00
More Info
All reviews free tickets tang dynasty special exhibition great collection on display audio guide terracotta warriors chinese dynasties free entrance ancient china silk road couple of hours big wild goose pagoda passport queue artifacts pottery
Reviewed 4 days ago via mobile

There are 5 galleries for each of the dynasties . Most of the exhibits are pottery, parts of the architecture and jewelry . There are some English subtitles . There are also tour guides who have the microphones to narrate the exhibits . There are plaentybof toilets . There is a fee to enter the museum for each person . I recommend that you hold about 1 1/2 hours for the exhibits if you enjoy seeing relics from the dynasties

Reviewed 6 days ago

Very nice exhibits at the museum however it is very busy by European standards so a bit of patience is required when large groups are touring at the same time

Reviewed 1 week ago

Great, comprehensive museum, but packed to the gills. Expect hordes of people. Unless you're on a super-tight budget and/or like to wait on line, pay the 30CNY for whatever the special exhibition is and skip the line.

Reviewed 1 week ago

Wow! What a great museum, and a great way to learn about ancient Chinese cultures. The museum covers the history of finds in the province, dating from the Homo Erectus Lantian Man through the Tang Dynasty. There are long lines to get in for free (3,000 free entrances per day in the morning, and again in the afternoon), but these are easily avoided if you are willing to spend 30 Yuan per person for admittance. That 30 Yuan price gets you into Exhibition Hall 4 ("Treasures of the Tang Dynasty"), an enormous haul of artifacts from a single discovery, and is well worth the price. Otherwise, Exhibition Halls 1, 2, and 3 are the major draws, and these are truly spectacular. We spent 4 hours going through 1 - 4. Unless you are quite fit, consider spreading your visit over 2 days. A great museum, and not to be missed in Xian. My only complaint is that the museum does not sell any picture books of the key exhibits in English.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

A great provincial museum. Learned and saw so much. Chang’An, the ancient city that existed before Xi’An during the Tang Dynasty, was great to discover here. Bring your passport, and if you are 65, the entrance fee is free, even in the special section of museum that otherwise charges 300 RMB to those who wish to see it. One word of warning: the museum will be packed. We were there on a weekday well after Golden week, and it was still filled with people.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Spending an afternoon provides a glimpse at all the dynasties using artifacts, maps and other means of explanation. Even the Revolution is covered. Very informative.

1  Thank kwaaak
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I visited here during my visit to Xi'an and really enjoyed the exhibits. I went before going to see the terracotta army and the orientation provided by the museum was helpful in understanding what I was seeing later on. Almost all the exhibits had some English explanation, making it easy to appreciate what you were seeing. The day I visited, the museum was very crowded and considerable patience was required to see many of the exhibits, but it was really worthwhile. I visited in the afternoon and perhaps it is less crowded in the morning.

2  Thank betteskid
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The size of this museum is just right, there are collections of high historic and artistic value which take me a day to see them all. Many are true masterpieces, displayed with explanations in Chinese and English, divided in sections according to dynasties which makes sense to visitors.
Entry to the main halls is free for all age but you need to line up to register with your ID in order to get the free tickets. We arrived some time before it was open, on a Tuesday, and the line was very long. With my parents who are over 65, we took the lane 4 for people with special needs so that saved us a lot of time.
There are 2 other halls which charge entry fee, one costs 300 yuan(free for seniors above 80 or 65 visiting with paying visitor, half price for the paying visitor accompaying senior) and another one costs 30 yuan (free for senior). Re-entry of these 2 halls are not allowed, also no pictures allowed there.
After entrance, we hired a guide to all the free and paid halls. She first took us to the 2 paid halls and finally to the free area. The guided tour was about 2 hours. To me, the collection in the paid and the free areas are equally interesting to me, but the paid areas are smaller and much less crowded. The guide took us to see the highlights and skipped those might be of less importance so we did not have chance to see all on display in the paid areas once we followed the guide out of them where no re-entry was allowed. It may be better if the guide had taken us to the free area first, where we could re-visit any time after the guided tour, and finally left us in one of the paid areas where we could take our time to see things she did not walk us through.
The crowd in the main (free) halls was the worst in late morning. So after the guided tour we decided to have lunch early to have a break when it was very crowded. In the afternoon when we re-visited the main halls, there was not crowded so we could see every piece at a leisure pace, read the details and take pictures.
I bought postcards at the souvenirs shop. They also had stamps for sale. It cost 5 yuan to send postcards to the USA or Canada so I was given 3-yuan and 1-yuan stamps to make up 5-yuan postage. Funny thing was that only those 1-yuan stamps were self-adhesive but not those 3-yuan stamps, therefore I had to ask the staff to borrow a glue stick when I found out about it back in the hotel.

Reviewed October 11, 2018

Not sure why we couldn’t get in. We had booked our tour months in advance and put the Shaanxi History Museum on our itinerary. Our CTS tour guide said the wait would be long and even if we waited in line, it would not be a guarantee to get in.

We arrived early in the morning and she discouraged us from going in. Other tour groups walked right in without waiting so I am going to assume CTS erred and forgot to purchase tickets for us.

The tour guide suggested we come back another time when it isn't so crowded. But we booked months in advance and flew thousands of miles to have her suggest this? Not sure the proper process so hopefully you plan accordingly and not be disappointed.

Reviewed October 8, 2018

As others say, get your tickets early. We had a second tour guide who went ahead to get them for us. The museum was packed. Moving around was difficult, very loud, and good luck getting photos without 20 people in them.
Some exhibits had English descriptions, but most did not. We did have a tour guide, but I prefer to travel on my own. I did attempt to locate maps and other materials in English. The staff advised none were at the museum. Get a tour guide or just enjoy looking. .