“Worth getting a Guide”

Ranked #1 of 335 things to do in Xi'an
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: One of the most significant archaeological finds in the world, this 16,300-square-meter excavation reveals more than 7,000 life-size terracotta figures of warriors and horses arranged in battle formations.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This is why I went to China. Seriously. They are just as customized, tall, and intriguing as you've heard, and they are a must-see item in China. That said, I want to offer some tips/ insights about what you'll see so that you can have the best possible experience there:

1) The warriors are all in pits, kind of like a sunken football field. You walk on elevated sidewalks that look down into the pits, in a way that feels exactly like watching a game from the stands at a stadium. There are three locations to view them- one huge stadium where you get to see hundreds of uncovered warriors and two (military leader areas) which are basically still dirt mounds. Plan to spend most of your time in the main stadium.

2) Set expectations: With only a couple of clearly preserved exceptions, you can't really see the paint- it disappears after coming into contact with the air. Think Greek statues- a lot more white than had been intended.

3) It's worth getting a real guide. I went on a group tour and my guide provided no insights and basically told us to wander. As a result, I felt like I missed out on a lot of helpful information that could have made the trip spectacular- instead of seeing the nuances of the different expressions and the different positioning, I was totally naive about what was happening. As I had spent so much money to travel there, it would have been worth the extra money to get someone to give me those actual insights.

4) There's a tea house there where you can stop for a break, but the prices were extraordinarily high, even by Western standards, and the food looked close to inedible. Pack food with you for snacking.

It's totally an extraordinarily amazing and worthy venture- just be prepared!

1  Thank gbh914
Write a ReviewReviews (12,273)

Reviewed October 24, 2012

It is definately worth a visit to xi'an spceifically to visit the terrecotta warriors. It was realtively reasonably priced as well considering what you are visitng

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Quite an astonishing place to visit and one of the highlights of our visit to Beijing (a city we found quite underwhelming). We took the overnight sleeper (Z19 deluxe sleeper) from Beijing to Xi’an arriving in Xi’an at 8:00am. We arrived reasonably refreshed at the train station which was quite chaotic. We looked for the “tourist bus” to the Terracotta Warriors but could not find anyone who spoke English (even the police) to help. Eventually we found buses heading to the TCW but apparently not the tourist bus – quite fun though. Walked from the road over to the TCW entrance and took the bus to the site.
Pit 1 was stunning – amazing number of terracotta figures stretching on either side and into the distance. The detail of the figures (warriors, courtiers, horses etc) was quite something. Much of the color had come off the figures but that did not detract from the overall impression. The history of the warriors and the story of their re-discovery is fascinating. Breathtaking and well worth the visit.
We found the tourist bus to take us back in to Xi’an with the help of a nice student. Nice bus but unfortunately it did not stop at the Huaqing Hot Springs as we had hoped. Did some sightseeing in Xi’an and then the Z20 overnight sleeper back to Beijing.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I almost cried when I saw these amazing 2200 years old statutes. Archeologists are doing a great job, excavating and putting all the pieces together. Lots of history, mystery about how this army was made. The Terracotta Warriors Complex is a must!

Reviewed October 24, 2012

This was my highlight of the China trip.
It's mind boggling.
Got great pics, it gets crowded.
Restaurant for tourists here is poor quality and crowded.