“Pushing Boundaries and Exceeding Expectations”

Young Pioneer Tours
Ranked #3 of 79 Tours in Xi'an
More attraction details
Owner description: Young Pioneer Tours is an adventure travel company formed in 2008 and based in mainland China. Specialising in travel to North Korea, we are an adventure tour operator that provides "budget tours to destinations your mother would rather you stayed away from". We are renowned and rated as one of the best tour operators to the DPRK (North Korea) with our unparalleled experience, fun way of doing things, and most importantly, excellent relations in country; this makes us the best choice for your Korea tour. Aside from the DPRK, we travel to a number of other destinations such as Iran, Cuba, China, Antarctica, Iraq, and other former Soviet countries. All our tours are founded on the YPT ethos of fun, thrill seeking and adventure at a great price. All ages welcomed!
Nagoya, Japan
“Pushing Boundaries and Exceeding Expectations”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I recently took part in YPT’s March 2013 DPRK tour and was thrilled with my experience. I went into the trip with an appreciation for the fact that my activities would be limited, and in some cases, prohibited. For example, I would not be able to take a stroll down the street without permission and accompaniment of the local guide. That said, YPT was really able to push these boundaries and, while still restricted in what I was able to do, the local guides and our YPT guide (Troy) were really quite accommodating. I was able to explore and see much more than originally anticipated. I attribute this to the fantastic and obviously trusting relationship Troy had with the local guides, which, I understand he has cultivated over his many trips to the DPRK. A strong, trusting relationship made the local guides more comfortable and willing to accommodate most requests (within reason of course). I have only been to the DPRK this one time, so I cannot attest to other tour companies and their relationships and connections with local DPRK guides, but YPT has really ingratiated itself with the locals. This led to an incredible experience. Highly recommended and not only will I return to the DPRK with YPT, I am sure I will continue to explore off the beaten path with them in other corners of the world.

Visited March 2013

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
“You don't know what you're missing. YPT is the BEST”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I'm a young college student from America. I need to make sure I spend my time and money (even when traveling) wisely. If you don't read any more of this review, read this: I cannot recommend YPT enough.

My mind was blown. The smaller group was filled with fantastic people, especially my YPT guide Troy Collings. Of course, I looked at other tour providers. They do not have anything close to the laid-back and more "real" experiences you get to partake in the DPRK. Other than visiting the typical monuments, statues, etc., we also went bowling and had a fantastic visit to a children's school (I hadn't played in a ball pit in a long time, haha).

I am always spreading the word about the unique and utterly enjoyable trip I had with YPT in the DPRK. It's uncomparable to any other traveling I've ever done ever (and I've been to 18 countries already).

Travel is the only thing that you can buy that makes you richer. In my case, not only did the travel make me richer, but so did the people working behind the scenes at YPT make this the best trip I've ever had.

Visited March 2013
Boca Raton
“One Word: Unforgettable”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I took part in the February 2013 DPRK tour and prior to deciding to go with Young Pioneer Tours, I was torn on which tour group to go with. There were several strong contenders when I was deciding which group to pick but after looking at YPT's webpage, something just kind of clicked. Aside from them having the lowest cost available (a nice bonus!), their tour seemed to put a focus on enjoying yourself and making the most out of the experience. A lot of the other tour groups I saw online seemed bland and devoid of any character. Also, the fact that they cap their group sizes was a very large factor for me.

Gareth and Richie were the two YPT guides on the trip with us and from my 6 or so days in DPRK, I couldn't have asked for better guides. They basically have the trips down to a science on finding that balance between having the perfect amount of fun while still being respectful and appreciating just where in the world we are. Richie was my primary guide on the trip and every single time there was a question, he was able to answer it instantly. Having done the trip so many times, he had a level of insight that was just incredible. Not only that, but you can tell the rapport he has with many of the local guides is something that most tour groups only hope to achieve.

It is easy to see that YPT puts a lot of thought and time into planning each and every one of their trips. I can't praise YPT enough for giving me such an amazing experience and I hope to go on another one of their tours sooner than later!

Visited February 2013
London, England, United Kingdom
“Kim Jong Il birthday tour”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

The trip was brilliant and an absolute must for anyone with an interest in this part of the world. It gives you a whole new perspective seeing it firsthand instead of just reading about the place. The tour was excellent and clearly a lot of groundwork has had to go in to get to the good relation that YPT has with the guides and border guards, giving us a much freer look at the country. Things can seem chaotic at times with schedules changing, but this just seems to be the nature of the country with things often closing without warning. Would recommend, and go again.

Visited February 2013
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Don't use any one else !!!”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

A friend and myself did the YPT in September we are a little older than the usual age joining the tour as we never do tour groups and thought the younger generation would add a little extra excitement to the trip and we were not wrong on that front.

We joined and met all the group at the back packers in Beijing to catch the train into NK which was approx a 24 hours trip, we were so glad we done the train one way as you really got a feel for the country and seen a lot of the country even before the tour began.

The reason we also chose YPT was they send an English speaking guide along which I think made all the difference. We were lucky with the North Korean guides as they were really nice and joined in on all activities along the way and answered all our questions that we posed.

It was a toughly enjoyable experience and all our group got on well which was great as we done the 7 day tour which I think is a min, as 5 would be just too short and I don’t think you will every return so do the extra days.

A big Thank You to Richie and our NK Guides for the everlasting memories and one of the best destinations I have been lucky enough to visit.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank EC120

Been to Young Pioneer Tours? Share your experiences!