Golden Flower Hotel, Xi'an
Ranked #26 of 2,658 Hotels in Xi'an
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Stayed for two nights here as part of our extensive tour of China.
As mentioned by others it is a bit off the centre but relatively peaceful in this frenetic city.
We were upgraded to a serviced appartment, which was so large that I had to make my wife leave a trail of breadcrumbs so that I could find her again !
Service was excellent, with a great breakfast and a restaurant meal which was extremely good value for money.
Apart from the obvious amazing spectacle of the terracotta exhibition, Xi'an is noted for its cuisine of dumplings.
We ventured out on our first night to a very "local" restaurant round the corner from the hotel
where in the whole street we were the only "westerners". We had our dumplings and a few other dishes that we pointed to and they were all delicious. There were six of us and the locals had great fun watching us devour their sort of food.
Must say that at no time did we feel threatened or worried about the neighbourhood around the hotel.
The hotel was extremely busy with groups staying, but they were directed to another dining area for breakfast so there was never a problem with service.
The staff were immaculate and the young ladies at reception a joy to behold.
This hotel is certainly to be recommended for your stay in Xi'an

Room Tip: Avoid any rooms with interconnecting door, as insulation poor. Ask for a high floor in the Executve...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 15, 2011

this is my second time around in this hotel. this is my first and only review because my definite opinion is that during my first time which was more than 10years ago our room air conditioner was not functioning well.

here it goes. definitely the hotel didn't change since 10years ago in terms of quality and sanitation. still clean and luxurious. what set this back is the location because its not near to many convenience store. well i don' t know about xi'an but i would have expected it to be in a better location. our room was spacious and comfy. wifi coverage is good. i can get good signal while seated in our room's sofa. my wife and i were so relax it felt as if we are on our nth honeymoon. breafast was very good! unline in our beijing hotel the breakfast in Golden Flower was as expected very good of course this hotel is managed by Shangri-la. definitely i will recommend this hotel to all who will visit this historical city of Xi'An.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 10, 2011

We landed in Xian for our 3 day tour after Beijing and I will try to be objective here about this hotel as we had just left Fairmont Beijing which is a different calibre. I have stayed at Shangri-La Singapore and also visited Shangri-La in my own city and can attest that Golden Flower only bears the association of Shangri-La but none of the luxuries one is familiar with a Shangri-La hotel chain. However, their service level rivals many 5 star hotels that we've visited! Details below. The washrooms were showing signs of wear and there was a strange red stain in our washroom near the drain (see pic). The bed was hard but I prefer them and the TV was surprisingly the tube kind which I have not seen one since 2002. I found this little detail to be odd as LCD/Plasma TVs are inexpensive these days but one is not there to watch TV but rather for the terra cotta soldiers so this was minor. I did find the air conditioning in the room to be overly audible and it did keep me up some evenings. Check in was a breeze as the staff checked us in the room and luggage was brought up promptly. Our package also included airport pick up and drop off and this was done very nicely in very comfortable sedans, in fact our return trip to the airport was in an Audi! Nicely done! I did enquire during check in regarding upgade to Horizon Club but was told there was none but the hotel did not appear busy to me so this was rather disappointing.

The gym and pool area was clean but we did not get to use them as our main intent was to tour the terra cotta soldiers museum and the city. Our package also included a city tour which was split into 2 portions. Morning portion was the tour to see the amazing terra cotta soldiers which in my opinion is indeed one of the new wonders of the world. And at noon you are dropped off at the hotel by the friendly guide to wash up and grab a lunch. At 2.30 pm we were picked up for the city tour which was uber fun. We visited the Wild Goose Pagoda, Bell and Drum Tower amongst many other interesting sites. Xian is a booming city and you will see many new developments and construction on route to the hotel from the airport. There will be a hotel staff at the airport waiting to pick you up and she will escort you to the waiting vehicle where a warm towel and bottled water awaits you. How's that for service with a smile!

We dined at their Shiang Restaurant and I have to say Xian food has a kick in the spice level but its an amazing form of chilli pepper that doesn't numb your mouth but rather takes the flavours of Xian cuisine to an awesome level. Breakfast buffet was also included with our package and there were ample Western and Chinese options we an omelet station, noodle station and many baked goods, juices, I loved their breakfast spread and the staff in the restaurant is always smiling and ready for service. I did find the locals in Xian much friendlier than Beijing and Shanghai.

The hotel is located in front of a highway and there were some local eateries but we did not get the chance to check out. We did however check out various restaurants in other parts of town and near the city walls which were great. Taxis are cheap here but hard to hail one, a ride into the city walls takes about 20 minutes but cost only about US$3.

I am unsure if I would stay here again in my future visits but I do miss their service as the latter part of our China tour landed in Shanghai and service was almost non existent in that city.

Room Tip: We were not given the option but ask for a Horizon Club room as I hear they have appys and wine hour...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Shangri-La Golden Flower from Jan 19-22, 2011. The hotel is beautiful and consistent with Western 4- to 5-star standards, if a bit dated. The staff are welcoming and professional. The rooms are very large and the beds are plush and comfortable. The restaurant serves a variety of cuisine at a reasonable (by Western standards) price but the quality is moderate. The business facilities are reasonable and the hair salon is professional and affordable. The location leaves something to be desired. It is approximately a 10 min cab ride from the city gates and there are no good restaurants within walking distance. In fact, walking in this area can be hazardous.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2011

Nice hotel but the rooms were a little dated. It was clean and the staff was helpful. The food was good and the buffets had a good mix of western and chinese fare. The massage staff were not really what one would consider professional massage therapists rather local women who were trained in what to do. The person massaging my feet watched TV through most of the massage.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 25, 2011

This is one of the first 5 star hotels built in Xian and hence the building does show it's age in places. it's probably not the best located hotel in the city and adjacent to a noisy highway, but OK all the same, as taxis are cheap. The service here is very good and the staff speak good English.
I was upgraded to a large executive suite which was very nice and comfortable. The airport transfer service was very efficient and the hotel cars are high quality. The room package that includes a city tour and trip to the terracotta warriors is excellent value and recommended.
The only disappointment was the standard of the breakfast buffet was poor for a hotel in the Shangri-la chain.

Room Tip: The executive suites are large and comfortable
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 30, 2011

This hotel was a bit of a disappointment, but tolerable. We were with a tour group staying here, but we were here for less than 12 hours. The linens were dingy, room amenities were less than a lower end budget motel in te US. The breakfast buffet was also a total disappointment, I should have wandered the streets for something more authentic instead of choking dowtiamat this buffet had to offer. The one nice quality was the free Internet service.

• Stayed: July 2011