All reviewsshangri la hotelbreakfast buffettour groupstayed here for two nightsterracotta warriorstourist hotelone night stayroom was largeother hotelsvery nice hotelstandard roomchinese foodchinacitywallenglishshanghai
Reviewed August 27, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights as part of our 11 night Trailfinders tour of China.
The hotel was typical 4 star with a little outdated room in need of renovation. The pool area is small but clean. The buffet breakfast was excellent with a great selection and really friendly and accommodating staff. We also ate dinner at the hotel on one evening and had great steak and fries.
Unfortunately Xi'an is undergoing a massive building project and the hotel's location is adjacent to a busy road intersection so no where to stroll out in the evening.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Staff are very helpful and obliging. Location could possibly be better in terms of shops and restaurants, but as the area is developing so fast I don't think this will be the case for long. Excellent buffet menu and also a la carte menu in restaurant. Free wifi in rooms, which are spacious and very comfortable. Although the hotel is big it still manages to deliver the personal touch and certainly made us feel very valued and welcome.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chocolateloverlondon
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We stayed at this hotel with a vacation tour group for one night. It is about a 10-15 minute (very fast and aggressively-driven taxi ride (as are most taxis in Xi'an) from city center (i.e., Bell Tower). It is not at the level of the Pudong Shangri-la which we stayed just the prior night, however, the hotel when it was originally built was most likely at the luxury level at that time. The rooms are large including the bathrooms and comfortable. I wouldn't say (as other traveler reviews have) that the furnishings are dated, but they do need refurbishing from years of use. The breakfast buffet is good in quality as well as variety. The staff service is also good and accommodating.

Why we weren't sure at first? It's the location of the hotel. It is a taxi drive to city center, and not walkable to given the distance and traffic. However, after walking thru city center and seeing the volume of people and traffics, and the noise and activity, actually staying away from the city center was more sane. So this Shangri-la is an ok hotel for a short stay in Xi'an.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Visitors4
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Having stayed in quite a few Shangri-la hotels (notably Pudong Shangri-la Shanghai a few days earlier) I was shocked at the neglected and dated condition of this hotel. Staff were not as attentive as is now expected and the hotel does not deserve 5 star rating.
Our room was clean but dingy, needing a good sprucing up. Curtains were dusty and very tired looking.
Hotel looked gernerally understaffed, the lobby was almost deserted during the day, but more bell boys and reception staff appeared later in the evening
We booked an 8pm table for the evening buffet and were offered untended, cold, meadiocre leftovers which we did not eat or pay for. The food and areas were not serviced, resulting in dried chocolate being on all serving tongs for the desert selection, container lids displayed but not used, food tepid at best, some cold, raw meat lying on the counter uncovered, not on ice and chicken, lamb and pork lying on top of one another. Salads were scarce and not fresh. The whole buffet was supervised by one very surley chef who didn't want to do anything. Although I spoke to the manager immediatley about the state of the food, he didn't do anything to rectify the situation. When we told him we wouldn't pay he then had chefs from the kitchen come out to look at the food and some things were changed, but too late for us.
People who had chosen from the alacarte menu were pleased with their food.
Breakfast was better but still not up to Shangri-la standards, very glad we were only there one night because if we had a longer stay booked, we would have moved.
I go out of my way to book Shangri-la hotels as stays in Singapore, Sentosa, Bangkok and Chang Mai have been stunning, I will be a little more wary now! I will be writing to the company about this too.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank MC100
SerenaZ937, General Manager at Golden Flower Hotel, Xi'an, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2011

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for taking the time to report your experience during your recent stay at Golden Flower Hotel, Xi'an.

We noted your negative rating for the hotel and its services including the unfortunate incident at our Restaurant for the Service and Food Quality.

I would very much like to talk to you personally about this matter and ask that you please contact me by mail andreas.streiber@shangri-la.com or phone (8629) 8232 2981.

With best regards,
Andreas Streiber
Golden Flower Hotel, Xi'an.

Reviewed August 12, 2011

I have stayed in so many 'good' hotels in China and this is by far the best.

Hotel's location is just beside a highway bridge which may provide little inconvenience as the taxi driver has to make a u-turn to reach the hotel but it was fine.

Taxi drivers in Xi'An generally know this hotel.

Booked a horizon club superior for 3 nights and gotten that. No upgrades compared to the usual upgrades I used to get under other brands but it was completely fine. You don't need it in Shangri-la.

Check-in was done at the lobby and was fast and smooth and check-out was at the horizon club was smooth too. They give you drinks when you are checking in/out

Room is spacious with more than enough walk-room. Bed is soft and comfortable. Room service is fine but not great.

What was really impeccable was the service from the horizon club, they remembered your preferences and are always smiling. Breakfast serving is a lot quieter but a lot more attention too but you get more choices at the cafe at the ground floor. Cocktail hour is good, 2 choices of white and red wine (1 chinese and 1 wolf bass) and the usual spirits. Kudos to the Hilary and team from the Horizon club. Thumbs up! Lounge was good! highly recommended!

Problems were solved professionally and promptly. I requested to take a cloth laundry bag and offered to pay for it but they all rejected it. They however were professional to provide an alternative which was to give a laundry bag but not the cloth kind.

I agree with many that this hotel is dated, one of the oldest hotels I have stayed but the service and hospitality makes up for it.

Would surely return to this hotel if I were to return to Xi'An

Room Tip: Horizon rooms provide good value
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo