“Impressive hotel in prime location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Grand Park Xian

Grand Park Xian
Ranked #18 of 2,550 Hotels in Xi'an
UK
“Impressive hotel in prime location”
Reviewed July 19, 2010

Unfortunately the start of our stay was spoilt when a large "incidentals" deposit was demanded of me at checkin. This was even though our stay was booked and prepaid through a travel company who they should have gone to if they thought I had run off owing any money. No such deposit was demanded at our 5* hotel (Oriental Bay) in Beijing where we had just come from.

The one other disappointment with the hotel was that they wanted to charge me for internet use - so I didn't bother! How absurd for a 5* hotel in 2010?

Having sorted that out, the scale and cleanliness of the hotel was impressive, with views over the City Wall which was all lit up at night. Our rooms were well appointed and spacious. The buffet breakfast was excellent, so it made the hotel a good place for a short stopover whilst passing through.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Bellingham, WA
Reviewed May 13, 2010

The location was within walking distance of one of the city gates (although not the best gate) and center of town. Clean rooms and very nice lobby. Glass elevators fun. Very difficult to get a taxi from there though even with concierges one block out. would recommend overall and would stay again!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Okanagan Valley, Canada
Reviewed April 20, 2010

My father and I stayed at the Grand Park Hotel for 3 nights in Xi'an. It's located right next to the city wall and offers great views of the Wall when it's lit up at night. The Drum and Bell towers are an easy walk as are restaurants, shopping and other attractions.
The hotel had the most comfortable beds that we experienced in China. The rooms are huge and offer all ammenities. We got a very good rate booking online, it did not include breakfast but when we checked in they told us breakfast would be included. The breakfast buffet was outstanding and we found the Western, Chinese and Japanese choices to be top notch.
I would recommend this hotel as a great place to start exploring all that Xi'an has to offer.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Beijing, China
Reviewed March 19, 2010

I stayed here for two nights and my main purpose of this trip was to see the Terracotta Warriors and Hua Mountain. The hotel is clean and staff are friendly and efficient. The beds were very comfortable and I had a really good two nights sleep. I won't recommend the food at the hotel though as its pretty average. I was starving when i arrived in mid morning and my room was not ready so I grabbed something to eat from the restaurant while I was waiting for my room. My partner had the hainan chicken rice and i had their Beef burger. Both were nothing to call home about. Bars and places to eat are close by and its also close to the Bell Tower and Drum Tower. The city wall is also close by, as well as other attractions. The hotel map will give you sights and attractions to see. Internet is also fast although there is no wireless in the room. The only problem I had during my stay was during check-out where the power went out so there was no lift and I have to walk down 7 levels with my suit case.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Dallas, TX
Reviewed November 13, 2009

After 4 nights in busy/noisy/polluted Beijing, this hotel seemed like a calm, soothing oasis in a cute, sleepy town. There wasn't a lot to do in Xian but since the main reason anyone comes here is the Terra Cotta army, we were only there for 1.5 days. Flew in on 8pm flight, was at hotel by 9:30pm, bags sent by luggage van. Hotel could have been quicker about bringing bags up to room and since we have an early tour the next day, ended up bringing up luggage myself. Breakfast next morning was EXCELLENT---great variety, flavor, options. Staff was very nice and helpful. Went above and betyond in getting in touch with tour guide when I needed to talk to her. Considering the size of the group, this was the smoothest portion of our trip in terms of logistics b/c the hotel was so well run and efficient. Liked that it wasn't so HUGE and impersonal, the nice abundance of wood in the rooms and the reflection of our pretty hotel in the glass building across the way. Amenties were also very nice (especially the cool wooden comb).

Stayed November 2009
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 1, 2009

We stayed at the Grand Park Hotel for 2 nights on a visit to Xian, mainly to see the Terracotta Army. The Hotel was good and although not in the 5* class as indicated in some sites, was still of good 4* quality. I have no real complaints about the hotel but there were just a few odd things that could annoy you......
Like the room had coffee making facilities in the room but you only got one sachet a day!
Like the 9th floor bar was closed for renovations ( we weren’t told)
Like little 'in room' information about the hotel and surrounds
Like when we asked for some tourist information it took five minutes to find something other than a tourist map and a brochure.
Like some patchy service, in some places very good and others non existent. (unusual for China)
Nethertheless, I would definitely stay there again, the price was reasonable and the rooms were OK. We paid for a deluxe room and had a view of the city wall, this was really nice at night as it was lit up. (btw there is a big construction happening in the middle of the roundabout in front of the hotel, could get noisy)
The hotel was only 200m from the wall, and a short walk to the markets, museum steles, drum tower etc. The terracotta army is about an hours drive out of the city, we hired our taxi from the airport the next day for 500 RMB for the whole day. He drove us there and a few other places nearby. It seems from talking to others this is a reasonable rate and the taxi was a little better quality than the normal ones, it worked well for us and while he didn't speak any English we had arranged where we wanted to go with the help of the concierge before we left. We booked the same driver for our return to the airport. He charged about 150 RMB each way and even didn't charge us extra for waiting an extra hour on our arrival.
Overall, good hotel and good location.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Somerset West, South Africa
Reviewed July 18, 2009

I stayed in the Grand Park Hotel on a recent business trip to Xi’an. I’ve stayed there before when visiting Xi’an and always find it a great place to rest and relax. I will likely continue to stay here when visiting the city. The location couldn’t really be much better, directly across the street from the southern gate, just outside the city wall. It is only a 10-15min walk to the bell tower, drum tower, shopping centers, restaurants, etc. The parklands around the city walls make for a great run/walk in the mornings and there are often artists and musicians hanging around in the evenings.

The hotel has a beautiful, grand atrium lobby with a comfortable, airy sitting/drinking area, with live piano music in the evenings. There is a non-smoking section, however sometimes the drifting smoke can be a bit much. The rooms are average sized, very smartly furnished, and well-maintained – no stained carpets or peeling wallpaper here! A nice flat screen TV with satellite TV channels provide relaxing entertainment in the evenings. The rooms have a computer desk with moderately fast internet connection (included in room price). Most rooms have good views over the new city or old city walls. The rooms are very quiet – no hall noise or street noise – and the beds are comfy, making for a great night’s sleep. Request a room on the non-smoking floors if you want to avoid the stench. The bathrooms are on the small side but are nicely decorated with granite floors and marble counters. Good water pressure with loads of hot water.

I thought the service was great here, as it has been on previous trips. The reception staff, most of them English speaking, are always very friendly, helpful, and attentive. No complaints at all, some of the best service in China. One of the things I don’t like is that breakfast is not included in the room price, costing RMB 80 extra. However the breakfast buffet is great, as are the lunch and dinner buffets. Another thing that bothers me is that the fitness center has been “under renovation” for at least the past 5 months. How long can it possibly take to complete the renovations?

Anyway, you can’t go wrong staying at this hotel. I think it is good value for the RMB ~600 and I will continue to stay here whenever I am in town. I would definitely recommend this hotel to other travellers, for business and pleasure.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business