Shaanxi Grand Opera House Xi'an
Review Highlights
Dumplings dinner and one-hour live show

My wife and I went to the Shaanxi Grand Opera House for dinner followed by the “Tang Dynasty... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

from $39.00
from $116.00
from $29.00
More Info
All reviews dumpling dinner dumplings tang dynasty musical numbers hour performance show starts fascinating experience chinese music english translation stage costumes theatre shapes percussion acts banquet cast
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

My wife and I went to the Shaanxi Grand Opera House for dinner followed by the “Tang Dynasty Show”.

Dinner was rice wine, cold starters and a never-ending supply of mixed savoury dumplings. All very nice.

The show comprised ten alternating percussion and dance sections with a cast of about 25 and lasting an hour. Prior to each section, there is a Chinese and English translation of what will be depicted. The choreography was very good but it was clear that not everyone enjoyed it (we overall did).

Book in advance for a combined dinner and show price.

Reviewed September 12, 2018

We had the dumpling Banquet - which was nice. Then the show which was very good, for the price it was a good evening of food and entertainment.

Reviewed July 11, 2018 via mobile

It was a great night for me overall. We had the dumpling banquet, which they serve 16 different kinds of dumpling. It was okay, I was happy but I felt it could be improved. The show on the other hand was excellent. Its a must see for tourist!

Reviewed July 8, 2018

We thought we’d give it a try, the food wasn't anything to write home about , the show was nice enough, pretty costumes and nice dancing, nothing spectacular but we didn’t expect it to be.
We went along expecting some light entertainment and that’s what we got.

Reviewed June 9, 2018

My wife and I recently had the dinner and show deal. The dinner consisted of many different kinds of dumplings and was very good. The show is pretty touristy. They performed musical numbers. Everything was pretty colorful and the music was OK, but it sure didn't have the feel of a top notch professional production. It was a little amateurish and contrived. It appears that this is a frequent stop for tours as the parking lot was full of tour buses. Wouldn't go again.

Reviewed June 4, 2018

I think this was a waste of time and money. The show itself was not professional and boring. A dumpling dinner package is available and the best part of this event. Seating is good, bu the lobby is full of people pushing and shoving. Stay home or find something more authentic.

1  Thank Judi L
Reviewed May 12, 2018 via mobile

A colourful presentation of dance attributed to a Tang Dynasty era allegedly. Commentary in Chinese and English and a multi lingual program is handed out on arrival at the theatre.

A nice presentation, comfortable seating and good views from all seats. Groups arriving just before the start seem a little disgruntled when they have to seat separately. A dinner package is also available - just came for the show so no comment on the food.

Enjoyable evening.

Reviewed May 8, 2018

We totally enjoyed our evening here. Our dumpling dinner was delicious. All of them were cooked well and full of flavour. I thought we might have still been hungry but that was not so. The show itself was spectacular with a rich variety to entertain us. We were seated upstairs and had the perfect view of those below and out to the stage. The venue was certainly full, so they must be doing something right! Impressed.

Reviewed April 23, 2018

This was was one the best experiences we had on our trip so far.

We opted to book the Royal Banquet which included a magnificent 6 course dinner and show.

It was also my wife's birthday and they surprised her with a bowl of noodles which is seen to promote longevity an prosperity.

The food was wonderful and the show very enjoyable with all the actors, costumes, stage and visual effects.

Something I would recommend for every visitor.

Reviewed April 9, 2018

This was not on our tour, but arranged by our guide. It included a dumpling dinner, with many dumplings shaped like the foods they contained, e.g. a duck's neck and bill on the duck dumping. There was also a picture card showing and explaining each dumpling.
The show based on the Tang Dynasty was excellent. The costumes and lighting were exceptional. The movements were delicate. A brochure in English explained the music and dances.