“Good hotel, but not 100% in line with what I expect from a Westin”
Review of The Westin Xian

The Westin Xian
Ranked #4 of 2,645 Hotels in Xi'an
Reviewed June 13, 2014

we stayed in is hotel for 1 night! The hotel has a nice design and the staff are quite friendly. The pool in the basement has a nice style and the gym looked quite nice as well! The club lounge on the 5th floor has a nice selection of drinks and food from 6to 8 pm.

The things we did not like so much are:
we received different informations about sights from the concierge and the club lounge.... who is right?
The lobby and the hallways smell a bit like "smelly feet"
The restaurant in the basement can be a bit nicer
in our suite bathroom there was a wooden bench - that one it too long, so you can not fully stand in the middle of the shower

We had another small thing that shows for me the staff is not that well trained yet! As there are no bathrobes for kids in the hotel I had to take towel from the pool after having a swim with my boy (do not want him to catch a cold). Afterwards they called my room 3 times (almost waking up my son) and afterward came also at the door (not respecting the do not disturb sign) to collect the towel back. Dear staff at the Westin Xian - no other spg hotel has went the same length to get back a towel that I anyway do not want to take home! Really,..... It would have waited for you in the morning and there was no need to disturb us or my sons sleep!

The location of the hotel is nice.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
TheWestinXian, General Manager at The Westin Xian, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Greetings from The Westin Xian!

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the stay with us. I have shared your feedback with my team and would like to note that we are having training to improve staff room service and are starting a small renovation for lobby smelling very soon. I truly hope we will have another opportunity to have you stay with us again in the future and deliver a revitalizing Westin experience with the many well-being programs that we have specially designed.

Reviewed June 10, 2014

- wonderful location, right near the gardens & fountains
- very comfortable room and amenities
- the staff was extraordinary, very courteous and helpful (I had to do a web check-in for my flight, and the folks at the front desk and club lounge upstairs got their personal laptops to help me as there was some issue with the websites)

- wifi access was very poor and can be improved significantly
- also, the lighting at the entrance/near the elevator is quite dim

Room Tip: ask for club lounge access if possible
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Greetings from The Westin Xian!

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the stay with us. I have shared your feedback with my team and would like to note that we are currently halfway through a wifi improvement project. I truly hope we will have another opportunity to have you stay with us again in the future and deliver a revitalizing Westin experience with the many well-being programs that we have specially designed.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

We stayed 3 nights in the Senior Deluxe Suite on the 3rd floor. Great big bedroom with bathroom and a separate dining/sofa lounge with second TV. Strange fact is that our room had no view at all and then I mean that you could not see outside because of the way the windows are constructed, a bit strange and I can imagine some people would feel trapped but it did not bother us really. No natural light can come in the room. This was the only room available when we booked, so be sure to book more than a few weeks/months ahead of your stay. We enjoyed very much the complimentary SPG lounge food and beverages on the executive floor (4th). This is much calmer and nicer to have breakfast and dinner than at the restaurant downstairs. I stayed there with my husband and 2 small children and really the staff was very helpful. I visited the museum in the basement which has a nice small collection for the art enthousiasts. I was the only visitor then which was sometimes a bit creepy. Also the gift shop and cafe near the museum are closed and it is more a ghost museum but it is free for hotel guests. We had lunch once at the downstairs restaurant but because of some renovation works it was very noise also they choose lunchtime to vacuum. But after we complained they stopped vacuuming. Some seating areas inside the restaurant are very windy and sitting outside on the patio is sometimes better. We had a lovely dinner in the lobby bar and enjoyed the friendly chatty portuguese manager there. The food at the hotel was good but nothing special. The hotel had arranged babysitting service for us at an extra charge so my husband and I could enjoy a quiet dinner. The swimming pool was closed for renovations at the time of our stay but that was communicated to us very clearly before we booked and again at check-in. The hotel is situated in a lovely part of Xi'an, completely new. It was built 5 years ago, only ''old'' thing in the area is the Red Goose Pagoda. The entry price is a bit expensive for China (50 rmb) but worth it, the grounds around the pagoda are well maintained with a lovely rose garden. I even visited it twice. If we ever visit Xi'an again we will definitely stay again at the Westin.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Greetings from the Westin Xian!

Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Xian and we truly appreciate your comments concerning the hotel facilities and service. We are very excited to know that you have enjoyed our facilities and service and will be sure to cascade your comments through to our team members! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future with more renewing experiences!

Reviewed June 1, 2014

It´s a very nice hotel, beautiful architecture.
Is a Westin, so the best bed you may find, standard and trademark, delicious.
Room is big, comfortable, very good bathroom, nothing to complain about.
Hotel is just 3 or 4 floors, explained in the check in that it can not be higher than the pagoda right in front, what makes sense. The cosequence is that is spread, and you may be far from elevator. For me, nothing bad, but if are a very very lazy one, may disturb.
Brakfast is very weel served, both chinese and western buffets. But as these hotels are so very different in regular business days and on weekends, and I´ve been in a holiday in China, it was very busy. And not with the most well behaving people. It was very annoying. I havn´t, but if you´re really upset with a noisy environment, consider paying the difference and use the businees area for breakfast.
Location is the best possible. Is right in front of Big Wild Goose Pagoda and the North Square. You get out of the hotel and have the beatifull view of the Pagoda, a nice pedestrian area, all possible shops, restaurants (chenese and western big chain ones). In the evening, crowds goes for night entertainment in chinese way, so ver nice to just walk around. And with the advantage of being right in front of where the dancing waters daily show happens.
Worts the stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
TheWestinXian, General Manager at The Westin Xian, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Reviewed May 26, 2014

Beautiful new hotel at a lovely location opposite the wild goose pagoda and near the plaza. Great area to hang out and spend an enjoyable evening. We stayed 3 nights and our trip to Xian was made memorable by the stay at Westin among other attractions. Excellent Concierge service made our trips so easy. Restaurant and food scored high as well..Large and spacious rooms and bathrooms. Beautiful property but still needs to settle in. Some basics need to be looked into - the wifi was patchy, the bathroom flooded and showers dripped and the doors to room and cupboards are so darn heavy that they are difficult to move. The security on ground floor rooms is a concern. Suggest the common areas and corridors could be lit better. The staff, though courteous, could benefit from English speaking training. Customers who stay at Westin paying these prices, certainly expect more and this hotel still needs to work a bit more. Knowing Westin, i am sure they will. I recommend it as the staff is professional, efficient and happy bunch of people who are willing to help at all times.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Greetings from The Westin Xian!

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the stay with us. I have shared your feedback with my team and would like to note that we are currently halfway through a wifi improvement project and are have training to improve staff English speaking. I truly hope we will have another opportunity to have you stay with us again in the future and deliver a revitalizing Westin experience with the many well-being programs that we have specially designed.

Reviewed May 25, 2014

Excellent hotel. Beautiful, tastefully decorated lobby. Large, well-appointed, very comfortable room, and friendly staff. Located in a new area in the middle of shopping and restaurants and near the Wild Goose Pagoda. Cannot beat the location. We'd stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelOn11

Reviewed May 25, 2014

I booked a tour throughout Beijing, Xi'an, and Shanghai and the tour service only allowed for one night in Xi'an.

I went into Xi'an not expecting much as the tour company only had us stay there for a day, but the Westin is really what made my trip to Xi'an worth it.

1) Location, location, location
Property is situated in the best part of town. I cut my tour that day short as we were exhausted from such an early flight, and let's just say that I was able to make up for lost time as our last site was visible from my hotel room!

2) Service
An error was made when booking this reservation and I had just booked a hotel for the wrong date on a pre-paid package. The staff at the Westin was unbelievably accommodating and was able to move my reservation on very short notice.

All other Westin employees delivered a great level of service as well

3) Property
Rooms, great. Restaurants, great. Communal areas, great. Everything was impeccably clean.

Great stay at the Westin --- I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends