“Special place, except for one thing ”
Review of The Westin Xian

The Westin Xian
Ranked #4 of 2,652 Hotels in Xi'an
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Beautiful, outstanding hotel. Very modern and contemporary. My only gripe (which means I can't rate any higher ) is that a room service pot of coffee (enough for 2 small cups ) was 110rmb. £11 for this? Surely the most expensive coffee in China?! Apart from this, quite a stunning place.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Stuart S
TheWestinXian, General Manager at The Westin Xian, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Greetings from The Westin Xian!

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the stay with us, besides the issue regarding the pot of coffee. I have shared your feedback with my team and we are reviewing the size of the pot of coffee as we speak. I truly hope we will have another opportunity to have you stay with us again in the future and deliver a truly revitalizing Westin experience with the many well-being programs that we have specially designed.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Xian soon.

Ugur Talayhan

Reviewed April 4, 2014

This is one of my favorite SPG properties. The whole place is new, and is absolutely gorgeous. Some one from Westin emailed me before arrival and asked my travel plans. I let them know that I would be arriving a little later than normal. I have SPG gold, so upon arrival I was upgraded to a large room, and there was a basket of fruit, a plate of cookies, and a hand written welcome card! The bed was super comfortable and the bathroom was ultra modern. The pool and workout facilities are all top notch, and the location can't be beat. The breakfast buffet is amazing and has so many choices. I think there is a bakery on site, because they had the freshest pastries. My favorite part was the make your own noodle bar. Noodles for breakfast = AMAZING.

Thank you for an amazing stay. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in Xi'an!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank crewguy299
TheWestinXian, General Manager at The Westin Xian, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Greetings from The Westin Xian!

Thank you for staying with us at The Westin Xian and we truly appreciate your comments concerning the hotel facilities and service. We are very excited to know that you had a great time throughout the stay. Surely we will be share your comments through to our team members as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we look forward to welcoming you again for your next visit to Xian.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Location is by far the greatest strength of this property. Just opposite to the Wild Goose Pagoda, it is surrounded by museums, galleries, monasteries, malls and restaurants of wide varieties. For those interested in Ancient Chinese history, I highly recommend a visit to the Xi'an Museum of history - just 20 minutes walk (5 minutes by taxi). It houses artefact of more than 5,000 years, and some of the most original decorative pieces from Han and Tang Dynasties.

Now, back to the hotel. My general impression is favourable. It meets the Westin standard. Rooms are of adequate size, with large bathroom and closet space. Best of all - free WiFi. Design is practical and minimalist, with a vague sense of mystery. I highly recommend the Chinese restaurant - Zenses. It serves Cantonese Cuisine and also features some provincial favourites. The Manager Yoyo Li is very helpful in offering dishes to suit special palate or dietary requests. There is also a private museum in basement which features some exquisite jewellery from Ming Dynasty - entry is complimentary to hotel guests.

Westin is not without problems. The drains seem blocked which emit unpleasant odour. That was promptly rectified after my complaint. Central A/C was also malfunctioning which blew hot air. That problem lingered for my entire 4 day stay. Luckily it was March, and weather was hospitable.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Epicurius_at_large
西安威斯汀大酒店, General Manager at The Westin Xian, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Greetings from the Westin Xian!

Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Xian and we truly appreciate your comments concerning the hotel facilities and service. We are very excited to know that you have enjoyed our facilities and service and will be sure to cascade your comments through to our team members! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future with more renewing experiences!

Reviewed March 30, 2014

The hotel is well located, and is a stone’s throw away from the Big Wild Goose pagoda, which is a must visit. There is a shopping centre which houses some nice restaurants within a 10 minutes’ walk. The highlight of the shopping centre is its laser show which is pretty unique.
The hotel itself has an interesting architecture with a wood based frontage. The Westin is known for its universal high standard and uniformity of interiors and the Westin Xian and the Westin Beijing both have almost identical room layouts and interiors. The hotel is located in a relatively quiet neighbourhood and seemed to be a popular choice for international travellers.
The city of the terra cotta warriors is worth a visit as there are other historical gems housed here.
The park opposite the hotel becomes a cultural centre in the evening with large groups of people across all age groups dancing to local and international music – one can join in if one chooses to!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank KSBan

Reviewed March 30, 2014

We chose the Westin as it is a Starwood hotel and because of its excellent location. From our room we could see the square so to speak which has gardens, shops, restaurants and at one end is the famous Big Wild Goose Pagoda. There are so many malls all within a walking distance around the hotel area. The square (as I refer to it) is bustling with life – locals and tourists alike and is a great place where time just flies. Some parts have very interesting night lighting. It looks very pretty. We even came across locals listening and dancing to different types of music and would you believe one group was actually listening to hindi Bollywood music and dancing! Apart from this the Shaanxi Provincial History Museum is also technically walking distance (mind you we went there by car to save time). The hotel experience was good – right from the check in, comfortable rooms. We definitely recommend it. We choose not to opt for breakfast in our tariff as we like trying local stuff and as already mentioned above, our location allowed us just that. Had a great stay and cannot end without mentioning that the Terracotta Soldiers are unique and a sight to behold.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Banrist

Reviewed March 2, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights on a business trip to Xi'an. And I was very glad that I chose this one.
The hotel is only 2 years old, and because of a height restriction it is quite wide and sometimes you need to walk a bit to get around the hotel, but that is only good for your health!
It is in a great location for foreigners/tourists as it is within easy walking distance of many restaurants and also some "western" fast food outlets. It is also right opposite a large park which is lovely to walk around in the morning and seeing all the activity going on there.
My room was excellent - good size and great amenities. And my understanding is that all rooms are a good size.
I stayed on the Executive floor and was very impressed with the Executive Lounge. The staff in there were very helpful and there was a good breakfast and plenty to eat and drink in the late afternoon. I would definitely recommend upgrading to the Executive Lounge - was very comfortable and a great way to sit and have a drink with friends or business colleagues.
I was most impressed with the staff in the hotel - they were all so helpful and always saying hello when they went past.
Would highly recommend this hotel for business or pleasure.
I am looking forward to going back to the Westin Xi'an and going for a ride on the monorail which will be completed by October and has a stop within 200 metres of the front door of the hotel.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a view of the Big Goose Pagoda and the park
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Richo12
TheWestinXian, General Manager at The Westin Xian, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

I choose this hotel due to foreigner friendly environment - lots restaurants, sightseeings etc. hotel is huge and enjoyed room, except couple of things. 1. Building is huge and wide, so that it is very far from my room to elevator. (Ok) 2. Noisy outside by construction. (Ok and it will go away after construction) and they changed room to other side and that room is ok 3. Bad smell at lobby-actually it is isle between lobby and elevator. -NG. I have find another one.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Kihwan Y
TheWestinXian, General Manager at The Westin Xian, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Greetings from the Westin Xian!

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us. We sincerely apologize for not having lived up to your expectations during your recent stay, your comments have been shared with the related departments. We hope we will have another opportunity to bring you a truly revitalizing Westin experience with the many well-being programs that we have designed.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Westin Xian soon.

General Manage