“Wonderful blended contemporary”
Review of The Westin Xian

The Westin Xian
Ranked #4 of 2,645 Hotels in Xi'an
Reviewed April 9, 2013

So happy we chose the Westin, so hard to choose with many wonderful looking hotels. We tend to go for smaller boutique style hotels relating to country we are visiting. This hotel is relatively new, built outside the old city wall, & within walking distance of the Wild Goose Pagoda. A wonderful park & square across the road, & a new shopping precinct just opened. There are beautiful gardens surrounding the pagoda full of peonies, the national flower of China. Very well photographed flowers! There is a fabulous lake with musical lights & fountains at night. This area is the best for a stroll in the evening, wonderful lights, & a square where the locals dance for hours, young & old, gracefully & beautifully. Great bars & eating areas...so very chuffed with the area in which we stayed.
The hotel is contemporary but blended well in the Asian style. Needs to settle in to itself & lose the sharp edges which it will do with age.
Chatty friendly front office manager Robert, from Australia...great to speak English to, & ask lots of questions, as the English is limited...this applies to much of China...lovely friendly people knowing the basics, & they will only improve with more Western visitors. Find them just lovely & so willing to help in any way.
Taxis cheap cheap, but always carry the Chinese name of the hotel, very important, or one can have huge problems!
My only gripe was the visit to the hotel museum....not one word of English, so sadly couldn't understand any history of the articles displayed. Was so disappointed.
X'ian is the most beautiful city, one of the oldest in China, 9 million people...they think that is small !!...& they are very proud of it. I so want to go back, still much to see. The Terracotta Warriors were on my bucket list along with The Great Wall, & the Forbidden City....loved them all, so privileged to have seen them. What an amazing country China is.
Will happily stay at the Westin when I go back. Btw, up grade to Club floor, worth it for breakfast, snacks, free drinks, & basically a meal at night. Lovely to veg out any time.
Keep it up Westin.

Room Tip: Club floor. Only 5 stories, good views anyway.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
西安威斯汀大酒店, Executive Assistant Manager at The Westin Xian, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear KLTSunshineCoast,

Greetings from the Westin Xian!

I would like to personally thank you for choosing to stay with us during your trip and we trust you had a refreshing stay and we do hope we extended the unique Westin service we are renowned for!

It was a great pleasure to hear your experiences in our hotel regarding the services and how they met and may have exceeded your expectations. It is always wonderful to hear praise such as yours and I will ensure that your comments are cascaded to our team appropriately.

Thank you once again for your feedback and please feel free to contact us if you would like any assistance in making a booking at The Westin Xian in the future.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

My review is on 舞 or in English they call is 'Mai' their Japanese restaurant with an excellent tasting menu, ie. small plates of each dish and all you can eat. The price is a little expensive but the quality is definitely international. We went with a 'group buy' site so it was a lot better value.

We went with a 9 month old baby and their were very friendly about that. We will definitely go again!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
西安威斯汀大酒店, Executive Assistant Manager at The Westin Xian, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Dear welovedumpling,

Greetings from the Westin Xian!

Thank you for taking time to discuss your recent experience at the Westin Xian.

It was a great pleasure to hear you that you enjoyed you culinary experience in Mai and how the service met and may have exceeded your expectations. It is always wonderful to hear praise such as yours and I will ensure that your comments are cascaded to our team appropriately.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

It is a nice hotel and good rooms.
We staid there on reward nights so cannot say anything on the value.

The staff were very helpful but inexperienced, that will sort itself out in time with good management.

We liked the room but a bit noisy from the outside, our room faced the pagoda.

The location is far away form the airport and the terracotta warriors but pretty OK.

The design is nice but it already looks a bit old but guess that is how it should be.

We like that they participated in the earth hour

Room Tip: If you want a silent room, don't take one facing the pagoda
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
西安威斯汀大酒店, Executive Assistant Manager at The Westin Xian, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2013

Dear Callek,

Greetings from the Westin Xian!

We thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking time to provide us with your valuable feedback.

Our hotel debuted on Mar.27, 2012 in Xian and designed by Shanghai-based Neri and Hu Design Research Office. As a “modern bridge between the past and present”, the hotel has an interesting fusion of indigenous culture and contemporary design that reflects both the city’s ancient character as well as its importance in the rapid growth of the region today.

We also have taken note on all the points you have provided us and do rest assured we have reviewed your comments with our department heads to implement measures for improvement concerning our guest satisfaction.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed in this fairly new property for three nights on a recent trip simply because I was attracted by the three facts:

it's location besides the Big Wild Goose Pagoda
it's a new property
there is a nice private museum inside the property (that i sadly didn't managed to visit)

The hotel is very spaced out as it cannot be higher than the pagoda next door, and rooms, though fairly new, are showing signs of wear and tear, in particular, the wood panels. Bed was nice and firm, and bathroom is amazingly huge, with separate rain shower stall and bathroom.

We were originally in a standard room, but was upgraded to a deluxe room with a very nice desk area after we complained of the non-working AC in the original room. However, we soon realize that the AC in both rooms were simply non-existent. Apparently. AC will only be turned on late March as March is usually cool, and so, unlucky for us to be there when the temperature is abnormally high in early March.

The location of this property can be considered both it's strength and downfall, sadly. You are close to the Big Wild Goose Pagoda, which is itself an amazing sight, but that also means visiting the city wall and anything other sights inside the walls a challenge with no working public transportation to bring you inside the wall. So you can only rely on taxis, which is easy to grab from the hotel, but good luck trying to fend off those scary locals who will blatantly snatch your cab on the streets from you when you wanna come back. All I can say is, do not be shy, and when any, ANY, cabs stops in your sight on the streets, quickly jump into the front seat if possible to secure that cab, even when the passengers are still forking their bills!

I would still highly recommend this property as it is new and the prices are not as high as other luxury properties in the city. Also, the staff speaks very decent English.

The mall opposite the hotel also has the standard Starbucks for your caffeine fix, and there are some decent restaurants in there and a 10 minute walk from the property.

Room Tip: Try to get one around the main atrium so you need not walk too far from the elevator
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
西安威斯汀大酒店, Executive Assistant Manager at The Westin Xian, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Dear GeraldSingapore,

Greetings from the Westin Xian!

I would like to personally thank you for choosing to stay with us during your trip and hope you had safe travels to your next destination. We trust you had a refreshing stay and we do hope we extended the unique Westin service we are renowned for!

It was a great pleasure to hear your experiences in the hotel during your stay. The Westin Heavenly bed is one of our brand signatures designed to ensure a good night’s sleep and we are very happy to hear that you enjoyed it. I’m very sorry for the inconvenience caused due to the bus transportation you experienced, however our Concierge have details regarding transportation readily available at the hotel. You may in fact use the No.609 bus and this can take you to the bell tower directly, the bus station is outside right beside the hotels main entrance.

We would also like to apologise for the difficulty that you experienced with the Air Conditioning. As you have mentioned, the outside temperature had a dramatic change during the time that you were at the hotel and the created the problem that you experienced. The system has now stabilised and the climate control in the room is working well.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

This is my first leisure trip to Xian, and I am so glad that I had made a right choice to choose Westin Xian as the accomodaton for my first 7 nights' stay from February 10-17, 2013 in Xian, China.

The hotel is newly opened in 2012 with location not in city centre, but a newly developed tourism area where restaurants, shops and supermarket are all within walkng distance.

I like the modern design of the hotel, but most of the rooms are with small windws that some may not like it if you get used to stay in a hotel room with a full wall size window from ceiling to floor.
But with the hotel loyalty membership, I was so happy that my room had been upgraded to a very nice room with a balcony overlooking the famous Dayanta.

I noted some of the comments about the smell in the hotel. I am not an expert but guess the smell is from some of the natural materials (wood probably?) to be used. Plus the smell is only within the lobby area and it totally does not affect your room.

SPG recognition of Westin Xian is excellent, in comparing to some other SPG hotels which I have stayed before in China.

As a new hotel, there is still a room for some of the Front Desk staffs to improve their service standard. But I was so lucky to meet Ms. Emily and Ms. Apple of the Front Desk at the end, that I could see both of them are really trying to assist and handle the issues I had with their "hearts" as well as in a professional manner. BIG thanks to Emily and Apple!!

I also like the lady with her long hair in the Concierge who always try to offer help to hotel guests proactively.

Regarding hotel facilities, I just love the gym, as it is fully and well equipped. However, the wifi reception in the gym is bad that some enhancement is needed.

I have visited a lots of famous travel spots and museums during my stay in Xian, except the hotel museum since not much introduction is given about it, plus admission fee is needed for both hotel guests and other visitors. I don't know how many visitors will be going to the hotel museum in a day, but some more marketing might be needed for it, plus free admission could be considered to offer to hotel guests.

Overall my stay with Westin Xian is a nice and satisfactory one, and I have no doubt to recommend it to anyone who has a plan to visit Xian, for either business or leisure.

***Local Tips :-
1) All local taxis (take only the green one) running in the city are counted by meter, except going to/from the airport.
2) Beware of pick pockets.

Room Tip: Request or pay more for a room with the Dayanta view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank CK_CHUNG
西安威斯汀大酒店, Executive Assistant Manager at The Westin Xian, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear CK_CHUNG:

Greetings from the Westin Xian!

It was a great pleasure to hear your experiences in the hotel regarding the services of Front Office, Concierge and how they met and may have exceeded your expectations. It is always wonderful to hear praise such as yours, as it gives real life examples of service encounters. I will ensure that your comments are cascaded to our team appropriately.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Arriving at Westin Xian been great experience. Front staff are very friendly and easy to talk to. Rooms make feeling of warm and make stay comfort. Walking to room a little to long, hotel has good art work through and nice walk to room. Breakfast is very nice and egg chef is very friendly remembering orders from before. Local area very good with many options around. Best hotel location in Xian.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
西安威斯汀大酒店, EAM at The Westin Xian, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear Cheeky1974:

Greetings from the Westin Xian!

It was a great pleasure to hear of your experiences in the hotel regarding hotel design, the services and how they met and may have exceeded your expectations. It’s always wonderful to hear praise such as yours, as it gives real life examples of service encounters. I will ensure that your comments are cascaded to our team appropriately.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

I've a chance to visit Xi'an, one of the most ancient city in China. The hotel located at one of the most important scene in Xi'an, the Dayanta. You will get an excellent view of the Dayanta, shopping mall & the plaza from the lounge there. The hotel is designed not as the marble one as like other 5* hotels in China, it's very unique. Not minding that it may a bit dark, but it give you a very special feeling of a designer hotel. The breakfast has good variety to choose and the buffet dinner is good too (you can even try the hot-pot in the buffet dinner!! ). Employees with smile from their heart! Thumb up for the hotel!

Room Tip: Try to find a room close to the elevator
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Joejoejoehk
Connie l, Hotel Manager at The Westin Xian, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Dear Joejoejoehk: