“More hotel than hostel”
Review of Hantang House

Hantang House
Ranked #1 of 1,409 Xi'an B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Clean, spacious rooms. I can't comment on the dorms as we are a family of 4 (with 2 young children) so we booked one of their ensuite triple rooms. After the misery of the Harmony Guest House, this place is paradise. We paid the same amount for both hostels and Hantang is a million times better.
The downside? Food and drink is overpriced but you don't have to eat or drink here but it is convenient.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Chingfordian2012

Reviewed July 19, 2012

The hostel is designed more as a hotel, clean dorm rooms with comftorable beds and good aircondintioning. Reception seemed constantly understaffed and not being separate for the bar, resulting in several mistakes. We had 9 people checked into our 8 bed dorm, housekeeping was changing sheets at 11pm and 7am with the lights on when people were trying to sleep.

The only common area in the building is at a cafe/bar, which is a Jamaican Blue coffee chain which means paying the equivalent prices you would in Australia.The quality of the pastas and wraps were very good, but remain ridiculously overpriced (note: the quality does not extend to the cocktail menu). We also were asked to move tables to accommodate outside guests (who would be spending more money than us) which we found irritating since we had bought drinks and were staying there. We found the common areas were heavily polluted with smoke from staff and guests with no outside courtyard or non smoking area. Our clothes stank of smoke after 15 minutes of checking emails, this is the only area where the Internet worked.

Also the 'good luck' pet turtles they have at the front door that are kept in a small basin with nothing more than a few inches of water is not a welcome sight for animal lovers.

Room Tip: No lift, so second floor is best.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2012

The hotel gets a full five rating for one major reason - our flight was horribly delayed and so we didn't arrive untill the awful hours of the morning but the hotel checked this and sent a car to pick us up. A great surprise but so welcome, and not the kind of service you often get.. It wasn't cheap, but the price is set by the taxis, not the hotel, and the airport is some way out of the city. The rooms are fantastic, great quality considering the relative price. Pay a little extra, get on the top floor private rooms, and it is reasonably quiet (barring the usual noises you get in a city). Yes the bar is a little 'American' style, and the beer isn't cheap, but the coffee is decent, they make good biscuits, and the breakfast is pretty good. And, if you're a fan of 90's hip-hop, then the music is fine.

Room Tip: Get a private room on the top floor, as it will be quiet and comfortable, but be aware THERE IS NO L...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I have to say I was very impressed with the rooms, they felt like a four star hotel, the private bathroom was exquisite! I even had a flatscreen tv in my room. It was about 230 yuan per night tho. Still cheap if you consider the quality of the rooms! Also the location is pretty nice too, it's just a short walk away from the main square.

BUT, the bar or the community room was horrid. They want it to like an American bar, and that's what the prices are like that as well. You Cant get a beer for under 20 yuan which I think is unthinkable for a YOUTH hostel. The food is pricey and complete crap. I tried it to times because I thought it was the local food the first time but it was not. My stomach was turned upside down. And then for some crappy fries and fried chicken they charge 60 yuan. You can go to a decent restaurant for
That kind of money.

Also the music is unbelievably annoying and the staff didn't seem to nice to westerners, their English was a problem as well.

And NO WIFI in the rooms which was the worst for me because i always had to sit in that bar and I got annoyed to death. Also the only Young People there are Chinese.

Still because rooms and location ist good I give 3 stars overall.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

Stayed in Hantang House in June 2012 and was really impressed! It was the first hostel we stayed in in this trip (we are on honeymoon and have done everything from 5 star hotels to guest houses to tea houses while trekking!) really impressed with this hostel.
The location is great, 10mins from Bell Tower and centre of town so we could walk everywhere. Very clean and comfortable. I liked the common area as it was handy for people to hang out. We stayed in a private ensuite room and it was genuinely like a hotel.
The food is part of an Australian company Jamacia Blue and is really quite good. It is a little in the expensive side but I thought it was worth it. They do killer mojitos aswell!! The bar generally has a good atmosphere.
Another plus was on our last day we checked out and went to cycle the city walls. We left our bags in Hantang and when we went to collect them we got to shower in one of the dorms which I really appreciated!!

Staff are nice and helpful. Laundry was reasonably priced also.

The only bad point I would say us that they should be careful who they let into the bar at night time - when we were there some locals got really drunk and started a fight with hostel guests. The women who worked there broke it up (while the men stood around watching!!) but the drunk people weren't thrown out so the guests just finished their drinks and left. I just felt it wasn't fair that the guests were made to feel uncomfortable.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Globalhoneymooner
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Very good for value and good location and service too.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We were impressed by this hostel. It looks and feels like a hotel. I booked a double bed and the beds are super single. Shower is good and they even provide towels, toothbrush, toothpaste and soap. My friend booked a dorm bed and he said it was very clean too. Great value for money. Drinks at Jamaica Blue were good. Western breakfast was filling. Good value for money. Even my friend who lives in Xian was impressed by this place. Staff speak very good English and are friendly. They let us keep our room until 3pm on check out day.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends