“Good Fun in Xi'an”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Good Fun in Xi'an”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

If you are on vacation in Xi'an and want to have some fun, go to De Fa Chang with a group of friends and get the dumpling banquet. It is not an authentic, street food, Michelin star rated experience. If that's what you want you should be eating on the street in the Muslim Quarter or going somewhere more expensive.

I went to De Fa Chang with 2 friends and we ordered the smallest dumpling dinner banquet and a few beers. A tray of cold vegetable salads was included, they tasted fine, also included was a sweet and sour soup with wontons and the final soup with tiny lucky dumplings. The special dumplings don't taste like much but it is great fun to watch them get dropped on our table one after the other. The waitress spoke enough english and did a good jump of explaining the dumplings to us.

Everyone who said the generic dumplings taste best is correct. They were by far the freshest dumplings and tasted like typical pork and cabbage steamed dumplings like my uncle makes at home. The meal comes with a big bowl of the generic dumplings so we were stuffed by the end of the meal.

I went at 7pm on a Tuesday night and got a seat upstairs no problem. I wanted to sit by the window but those tables were already full. The waitress was typically gruff but she battled through her english like a soldier. The best part was watching the waitresses fight over table territory.

Consider these dumplings like fondant cake: fondant tastes like crap, yet people still get them for their special occasions. That's the case with the special dumplings here. Where else are you going to get dumplings in the shape of ducks and walnuts and pinwheels for 22 USD? Just get the smallest banquet, if you are still hungry go prowl the the Muslim Quarter for snacks to finish you off.

• Visited September 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Beijing
“Hit and miss on the dumplings”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I was there on a business trip, and it looked like we sampled every single dumpling the place had (over 20 I lost count)

Some were awesome, some ok, some hideous, I wish I could tell you which ones were the best but they came out hard and fast and then gone.

• Visited June 2013
“I was expecting more...”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We went to the restaurant at lunchtime expecting the 20+ dumpling menu. I was disappointed to find only 6-8 types. The dumplings were delicious but no great variety. Not the cleanest appearing place, I was happy that the dumplings are made fresh and hot and nothing is left sitting around with flys about...

Visited September 2012
1 Thank anamericantraveller
Columbia, South Carolina
“Nice concept, but disappointing dumplings”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We were brought here by our host whom we were visiting, a local of Xi'an. Surprisingly, he had never been to this place before - maybe that should have told me something. This place definitely caters to tourists. The various dumplings were in fact pretty dry and variable in taste and quality. The "special" dumplings come out in courses, typically two kinds at a time with one for each person. We also had had a variety of appetizers, and there was a plate of what I'd call "generic" steamed dumplings of which I had only one. In retrospect, that generic steamed dumpling was by far the best, and one of the best I'd ever had. I'd trade all the special dumplings for that plate of generic ones. At the end of the meal we had a hot pot - basically chicken soup - but it was really fantastic. Also I was told that the price was actually cheap - about $10 equivalent. So maybe tourists going without a Chinese friend (who does the ordering) are getting ripped off on the price.
Summary: go with a Chinese friend if you can, and don't order the dumpling sampler feast - get whatever else you want, and be sure to get generic dumplings and the hot pot at the end. Oh, and the beer went well with the meal!

• Visited June 2013
Toronto, Canada
“We loved it...”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I disagree with all the negative reviews-maybe because we did NOT order the dumplings. We had a beautiful set menu. I was with a large group of 14 tourists and everything was delicious. Spicy eggplant was our favorite but they also gave us a delicious sweet potato mash that was almost like soup and was so yummy.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank CanadaTravelbug

Been to De Fa Chang Restaurant? Share your experiences!