New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Whistler, Canada
“Who doesn't like a little "cheese" now and then?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

Although the dumplings weren't the best I've ever had and the audience was full of tourists, the show seemed fairly authentic. This is a good way to get a glimpse of traditional Chinese music and dance. Doors open for dinner at 6 PM. Getting there by 6:30 or 6:45 is fine. Show starts at 8 PM and is done just after 9. Opt for the dinner & show (US $50) because US $32 seems a bit steep for just one hour of music and dance.

Visited October 2013

Cairns, Australia
“I'm not an Opera person, but this was pretty good!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

I have never been a big fan of Opera style performances, but I have to admit that being accompanied with my wife and two teenagers, we all agreed that this was well worth the visit. The food was nice, not outstanding, and we found that there was enough good quality food for the evening. Due to the layout to watch the performance after the meal, the tables are in a set position which makes it hard for the waiters. Yet the service was good also. The performance itself was fast and entertaining. A bit of everything to please everyone. Would I do it again? Yeah, I reckon I would. So yes, worth a visit.

Visited October 2013
Medford, New York
“Touristy but enjoyable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

We went here with our China tour. It is in a large tiered theatre which was filled with other western tour groups. Dinner consisted of 15 different dumplings, which were tastey. The show is definitely done for tourists but was enjoyable and well done.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Shelley R
Regina, Canada
“Tacky, fake 'Chinese culture' is insulting.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

I would have found this show boring and sub-par in Las Vegas. It's completely inexcusable here, presented as 'Chinese' when the choreography, costumes, and much of the music are so obviously Western in origin. The dance performances are incredibly dumb and really boring, with the most athletic dance move being the occasional high kick. Weak.

The only positive thing is the traditional Chinese orchestra, and even then I have my doubts as to how authentic the music is when the rest of the show is so clearly Westernized and fake. It's insulting to the audience's intelligence to suggest that any of this resembles anything from the Tang Dynasty, or is even Chinese in origin.

It's true that the theater is nice and some of the food is pretty good. The show is too gross to make up for it. Not recommended.

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ReginaGirl_8
Taunton, United Kingdom
“The Tang Dynasty, Xi'an”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

I went to this show as part of an optional Viking River Cruise Imperial Jewels of China Tour. It was rated as being a 5 star trip and cost the equivalent of approximately £50 per person. It was set in a rather nice theatre in the city with a smart entrance but the food provided definitely wasn't five star though it was obvious that this is what they were aiming to achieve. I found the show however to be really good as it provided the cultural experience I had been seeking. Very colourful costumes and interesting sounds. At the start a group of instrumentalists played from the front of the stage whilst we ate our food courses in the company of others around a table set for six. I was definitely being rushed because it was obvious the waiters were eager to get all of the food served before the lights went down. For me the food was pretty average compared to some of the nice restaurant meals we had eaten elsewhere on the Viking Cruise tour. An amusing thing was that the toilets were definitely 5 star compared to many of the other conveniences I had used elsewhere in the city!! This included an attendant pouring liquid soap from a teapot over an extremely ornate sink, quite bizarre! Overall I enjoyed the experience and don't regret the expense, after all its the sort of thing you'll only get the opportunity to do the once.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Been to DaTang JinCheng? Share your experiences!