“Characterful, fantastic location”
Review of Warriors Apartment

Warriors Apartment
Ranked #14 of 1,403 Xi'an B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Excellent location right next to Muslim quarter and close to the bell & drum towers! Very spacious and everything is provided, including a washing machine & washing powder which was very convenient! (Actually we were told they'd do the laundry for us if we left it for them the next day while we were out but we were desperately short on clothes at that point so did it immediately)The apartment is decorated with terracotta warriors throughout and there was costumes as well - lots of fun. Apartment cleaned and fresh towels provided daily - not like in a hotel but more than expected in an apartment. Didn't use the kitchen as we ate out but there is a small one so you can cook. Very homely place.

Two little things to note:
- if you bring your own soap (I do as I have allergic skin) put it somewhere obviously separate from the soap provided. I had almost used mine up so it was quite sorry looking and it got accidentally thrown out in the cleaning which was a little inconvenient as I couldn't use the ones provided.
- if you are on the Kang bed, there's a cupboard fixed to the wall so be careful not to hit your head like I did (should be fine unless you try to stand like I was)

Clarence and his wife are very friendly. Met us at the train station, poor Clarence had to wait over an hour as our train was late. He also gave a quick introduction of the city as we drove. Took a tour with him the next day which was very enjoyable and hassle free, and he had interesting theories on the Warriors. He was very flexible changing his usual itinerary as I really wanted to see Banpo. The lunch was excellent too. He also booked a Tang dynasty show for us at short notice and picked us up after the show. Arranged transport to the airport as well. Full service!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 2, 2012

We had 2 couples stay at the Warriors apartment for 2 nights and had a wonderful time. The apartment is unique and the location is great being a 2 minute walk to the Muslim Quarter, markets etc. Clarence met us at the train station and after settling in to our apartment, we had a day tour which took in a temple, we visited a old gentleman's home (he lives in a cave) and this was a highlight of our tour. The other highlight of course was the Terracotta Warriors and what Clarence doesn't know about the Warriors isn't worth knowing. He has written his own book on them and has some interesting theories about the site and the warriors. The apartment is great and there was plenty of fresh fruit, bread and bottles of water provided. Clarences wife even insisted on doing some washing for us, despite there being a machine in the apartment. I highly recommend this apartment but more importantly, do a tour with Clarence and you will really enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: We didn't find an issue with noise at all and stayed in the two bedroom Warriors apartment.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Clarence and his wife are great hosts! Lovely apartment with lots of room for a family of 5 to relax and be at home while traveling. There are all these cool Terra Cotta statues all built into the walls and all. The kids loved it! They have a washer to do laundry, wifi and satellite TV...We had a great stay there. Just don't come expecting the Ritz...it will be great though. Great value.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
cclarence, Owner at Warriors Apartment, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

Reviewed June 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights end of May 2012. The hosts are wonderful ... if you take the airport shuttle to the Melody Hotel next to the Bell Tower, they come and get you and walk with you through the Muslim Street (a very nice attraction in itself) towards the apartments. Keep in mind that it is quite a long walk with luggage!
It is in a great location ... very near to the Muslim Street, the Bell Tower and the Drum Tower, and walking distance from the Xi'an City Walls. Also quite close to a bus station and a tourist information.
The best of the apartment was that it consists of two bedrooms, a kitchen, a bathroom, and a spacious living room ... all for around 500 RMB per night! Now this is value for money. Also, breakfast is included and already in your fridge when you get there, consisting of breads, fruits, eggs, beer and as many bottles of water as you like!
The bed was nice and hard (which I like) and there is a washing machine where you can do your washing for free! The only down side of this place was that after you've showered it will have a "drain smell" for a while, but since we were not sitting around in the apartment, it did not really bother us.
I would definitely stay here again, because of the great value for money, as well as the dedication to the Terracotta Warriors that the hosts put in!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Perhaps the timing was wrong when I stayed in the Warriors Apartment last December. The experience was not entirely pleasant.

The entire apartment was beautifully decorated and furnished with Qin Dynasty's relics and related stuff. There's more than enough space for big family to comfortably settle in. Location is good in the sense that it is close to the Muslim Quarters and the Drum and Bell Towers.

The main concern was the extremely-cold apartment. To make matters worse, Clarence told us that there would be a power cut from midnight till 6 in the morning. Imagine having no heater or lighting in a big apartment filled with clay statues in the dead of winter in Xi'an!. The ceramic flooring must have added to the cold. We did not have a good sleep at all, if any.

I thought at least the owner could have at least have the courtesy to let us know earlier about the situation, instead of telling us only after we have settled in. When asked for a discount, he outrightly rejected, saying that the price has been fixed. Needless to say, we moved out of it at first light the next day.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank limkopi
Reviewed April 18, 2012

We thought this B&B was exceptional value. Clarence and his wife thought of everything. The apartment included beer, great fruit and breakfast ingredients (self cook). It was very spacious, and everything that I could have wished for was there. It is worth commenting on the service. Clarence arranged a number of things for us before we arrived, and he kept us extremely well informed throughout the process. The service (provided by him, his wife, and a couple of tour guides) worked exactly as he said it would. The service exceeded our expectations. It was extremely thoughtful and highly competent.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2012

The Warriors Apartments is very centrally located to sites of Xi'an, including wall, drum & bell towers, Great Mosque, Muslim market area, shopping, and restaurants. I didn't need taxi in Xi'an. Apartments came up under Bed and Breakfast options but my experience is that it does not qualify. All that was provided in my stay was a few eggs and a couple small snack-size cartons of milk that may have been left from previous guests. No oil/butter or seasonings to cook with, no bread or fruits/vegs.

Clarence's tour to Terra Cotta Warriors was well worth the investment. He is a gracious and knowledgeable host. Lunch was delicious. Van was very comfortable. I paid premium price because I was the only guest that weekend, but I was very glad that I did it. Recommend it.

The accommodations are dusty but the bed linens and bath are clean. Expect city noise if you are not used to it. Location made up for all of this in my opinion. One of my favorite China experiences was sunset and evening walk atop the wall ... nice photos. I would stay again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo