“Stay here for the location - not the rooms”
Review of Xi'an Garden Hotel

Xi'an Garden Hotel
Ranked #59 of 2,653 Hotels in Xi'an
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Location is great - right next to the Big Wild Goose Pagoda and pedestrian streets, grounds are beautiful, authentic Chinese gardens with white swan and peacocks, the rooms however, are extremely outdated and very disappointing. I stayed here in mid-September for 2 nights. My room had a terrible odor so before I settled in, I went to the front desk to see if they can change my room. The manager told me the hotel was completely booked and there were no other rooms available at all. To appease me, the manager offered to go up to my room to check it out. When he returned, he told me he didn't smell the odor but let me that he opened the windows to air it out. I had no choice but to sleep there for the night. The hotel wreaked of stale smoke. Although my room was on a non-smoking floor, the hotel did not prohibit the other guests from smoking. The room had not been decorated since the 80's and I've never seen a hairdryer that looked like a vacuum cleaner. The rooms pictured on the hotel's website is a far cry from the room I stayed in - apparently the featured rooms are all suites which are all renovated. The next morning I complained again as there was a new manager on duty. He told me that he can change my room to a smaller room but it was a smoking room. I declined. The second manager was much nicer and much more hospitable, and truly seemed like he was making an effort to make my stay more pleasant. In the end, I had to stay in my original room. The manager gave me a bottle opener worth 10 RMB for my troubles.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed October 4, 2012

There is a giant garden in the center courtyard and gardens everywhere around it. The garden is very peaceful with resident swans, ducks, peacocks and the ever present koi. The kitchen will give you bread to feed them if you ask. My room was large and lovely. And very importantly, there is IN ROOM WIFI!!
Great location near the Small Wild Goose Pagoda and a park.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Only stayed one night but the hotel was charming and all staff very courteous. Both breakfast and dinner menu was a choice of Chinese or Western so everyone happy.

I have nothing but praise and recommendation for this hotel

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My wife and I spent nearly four weeks travelling around China and the Xi'an Garden Hotel was by far the best of all the hotels (a total of 8) we stayed in. It was clean and comfortable and the staff, in their Tang dynasty costumes, were very helpful. The lobby was large and well furnished. The gardens, complete with pond, swans and peacocks, delightful. The room was sufficiently large, but, as we found everywhere in China, the bed was very firm. The bed and bathroom were clean, but the carpet had stains on it. We have a lovely view over the garden. Breakfasts were plentiful, both Chinese and Western. The hotel is located near the Large Wild Goose Pagoda, a lovely park, shops and a Walmart!! Would certainly recommend it to anybody visitng Xi'an.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed here for two nights as part of an organised group tour in Beijing, Xian and Shanghai. The hotel is well situated, just across the road from an amazing Mall (Tang Dynasty) which was quite eye opening.
The building is set in beautiful grounds with a small lake (pond) complete with swans, peacocks, ducks etc. Rooms were some distance from main entrance and reception but corridors were clean and reasonably bright. We had wonderedwhy our guide had made mention of the hardness of the beds but soon realised why when we sat on one of them! Rock solid would probably be the best description and we had to ask for additional topper to be added to the mattresses. To say the room was "tired" might be generous- it could do with redecoration and modernisation but it was clean and well enough equipped.
The breakfast buffet was disappointing and despite efforts didn't really cater for western guests. We found it a bit disconcerting to be joined at our breakfast table by a young chinese girl and her mother, perhaps it was because we had been seated as close to the tv as you could get and she wanted to watch something.
Overall this hotel is fine, just be aware of the beds!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank grayday
Reviewed July 28, 2012

this hotel is not ancient ,but in ancient style and it's good location
i like the building style ,like the ancient palace and though the room is a little bit old while the enviroment is reallr good and this hotel close to big wild goose pagoda and tang paradise and neaby the QU JIANG shopping area and easy to find different resturant for meals
and there is one bar street in CI EN XI LU
the hotel offer Chinese breakfast and western breakfast ,Chinese one RMB28/person, western RMB58/person
Japanese Emperor and OLYMPIC TORCH stayed at this hotel before ,what's more ,this hotel rate is cheaper than other common 4 star hotel in Xian
this is what i know for this hotel and my favrioted hotel in Xian
i recommend the friends, who like Chinese Traditional culture and history, this hotel is really a good choice

Room Tip: maybe you cam book one room, from the window can see the big wild goose pagoda and garden ( there is...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank jeffyang
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Booked this hotel because my colleagues stayed here last time they were in Xi'an on business. Was a little worried when I read somewhere that although the hotel lobby and grounds were nice, the furnishings in the rooms were rather worn. I was pleasantly surprised, maybe because I got upgraded to a deluxe room. The room on the 3rd floor is quite bit, with a couch and two chairs, a big flat screen tv, and a very comfortable king size bed. I am truly enjoying my room. The only downside is that the light in the bathroom is censored, and while that is quite convenient, the light is just outside of the bathtub, so when you're in the shower for more than 1-2 minutes, the light doesn't sense anything and turns off, so you have to stick your arm outside of the shower curtain to reactivate the light. Not a big deal but something to note.

I haven't checked out any of the services offered at the hotel or the courtyard, but I plan to visit the gym tomorrow for a much needed workout. So far so good. Very good value for the price.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business