“Good but certainly not exceptionnal”
Review of Club Med Guilin

and 1 more site!
Club Med Guilin
Ranked #1 of 657 Hotels in Guilin
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We have spend 3 days in the last week of October visiting from France, doing a 10 days trip in China. The Club is brand new and the first impression upon arrival was very good. A very impressive park (46 ha total) with unique lights effects at night. Rooms are OK but certainly not luxurious. No bath tube and a strangely decorated bathroom (kind of gothic design all black) with a hole in the middle open on the bed ... Large terrasse on the Park. F&b is typical Club Med. Good but nothing stellar. We had to ask for fresh squeezed juice in the morning and the buffets remain somehow basic. Evening activities are 'standard' for a CM. The bar area is VERY noisy and do not give you any privacy feeling. Occupancy was less than 30% so I do not dare to imagine how this can be when the site is fully packed with 800 guests The GO team is passable +. You clearly feel they want you to be happy but something is missing. We have spent most of days scouting the area on our own so we had no chance to test the sports.

A killing detail. The club is lost in the middle of nowhere 40 km south of Guilin. You can't get taxi there so they need to be ordered on call. 1hr wait guaranteed :( Sadly the club do not inform you so you get caught the first time. No shuttle to the two local towns Yangshow and Guilin.

Overall, this new resort s not designed particularly for overseas foreigners. First segment targeted is indeed the Chinese community. Not an issue as such but good to know if your aim is to be in a quiet place where you think you will meet mostly foreigners.

My final conclusion is this club is nice with some great assets. But certainly overpriced ... Hence the average mark

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Nicolas D
Write a ReviewReviews (1,482)

Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed in Club Med Guilin for 4 days from Oct24-27 with our 2 children (8years old and 3 years old). It was our first stay in a Club Med and we were very impressed by the quality of service, the friendliness and professionalism of all the staff. We really enjoyed our stay, parents and children alike, and our 8 year old son who attended the Mini Club every day was very sad to leave. The variety and quality of activities organised for children thru the Mini and Petit Club was fantastic, a very big thank you to Camille and her team. The facilities at the kids club for both mini and petit club were top quality, our 3 years old daughter spent a full day with the petit club and I also took her there on my own leveraging all the toys and the playground facilities. While the kids were busy we ventured into rock climbing, going on the trapeze, played tennis, jumped in the beautiful outdoor pool for a swim with a view, went on a scenic and local village discovery biking tour, had great fun with the instructors and each had a wonderfully relaxing treatment at the Spa which we highly recommend as well. There wasn't enough time to enjoy all the other indoor and outdoor sports/activities proposed but basically if you crave for them you won't be bored! The domain on which the Club Med is located is simply unique, with majestic Guilin mountain backdrop, beautiful greenery and amazing art pieces ornating the grounds. We loved the feel of the place, a great mix of cool and authenticity. The excursions proposed by the Club are also very worthwhile booking, and in particular we sidecar sightseeing and local village life discovery trip is an unforgettable family experience, thanks to Felix who runs it and to Kikka for recommended to us. The food selection and quality was great as well, we enjoyed the various options to grab a drink during the day or the night and the shows in the evening were entertaining for everyone in the family. In the tradition of the Club Med the very international staff mingle with the guests in a subtle and friendly way and their dynamism, kindness and interesting personalities made every conversation we had with them and engaging and fun moment and they were all also eager to get honest feedback on how our stay was going, we thank Gilles from the management and his whole team for their attentive care. For all the very busy moments, there were also some very peaceful, relaxing and more private ones, as the grounds are huge which is a big plus of this resort. We hope to go back with other family friends to discover the region more.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Lizrun
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Firstly, I have to admit that I may have chosen the wrong time to club med Guilin. I went there during the Mid Autumn Festival, where club med Guilin is facing serious problem of staff shortage as most of their Chinese staff will have to take leave to go back for family reunion. If I choose some other time my experience may be different.

This few years I have been to many club meds in Asia, eg Bintan, Bali, Cherating, Maldives and Sahoro, all with good memories. I like club med’s all inclusive concept and I strongly recommend club meds to all my friends, I believe everyone must at least have their club med experience once, in their life time.

Guilin is very different from other club med, may be except for the GO, which remain cool, energetic and entertaining, but other than this, nothing else.

After I checked in to club med, on our way to the Atelier restaurant; i noted something very different from other club med. Trash, cigarettes buds everywhere on the grass field along the walk way. Immediately, I sensed that this time my club med experience will be very different from my previous experience. I remembered my trip to Club med Maldives, I can hardly find falling leaves on the floor, as they clean the place constantly. Bintan club med, the beach was so clean, as they make an effort to clean it every day. The walk way to Atelier, very important first impression, and yet this happened.

FOOD AND BEVERAGES
When I arrived Atelier for first time, I cant even find a place to eat. Yes we have to find our own table, we waited for a very long long time hoping that a waitress will notice us and set up a table for us, but nothing happen. We ended up doing it ourselves, finding our own table, clearing all used cutlery on our own. The same thing happened the next two days, we always need to find our own table, clear the previous guest’s plates and cutlery, on our own.

Yes like what the previous reviewer mentioned, there are flies sometimes, but I don’t really blame them for this. I have been to some expensive luxury 5 stars hotel with even more flies.

First few days I even have problem with the cutlery, Its hard to get and when you asked them, the answer, is “NO MORE, DON’T HAVE”, instead of “Please wait for awhile, let me get you a new one”.

I also facing the problem of getting hot water for my tea, and even if I can get, the water is always not hot enough. Sometimes when I asked for hot water, they said wait, will get for you, I would expect them to bring it to me to my table, but instead, they just leave it at the table where they serve tea and coffee.

During my stay I had my breakfast at the lotus restaurant once. Wow…, i wanted my tea, but this round, I have to wait for a very long time for new clean cups, and the used cups pound up at the beverage/coffee machines really kills your appetite. I can even see little cockroaches running on the coffee machine, its still there the following afternoon when I had my lunch….and this is supposed to be a fine dining restaurant.
We have had our lunch in Lotus restaurant once, they told us lunch time is 12pm to 3pm and I came around 1pm, the food served to us is not hot enough; its taste like it has been left there for one hour before they served us.
WHAT’S THAT SMELLS?
I don’t know what happen to the lady’s toilets in Atelier, it smells horrible all the time. My friend rather walked to other buildings then going to this particular one. The cleaning lady is cleaning the toilets all the time, but the smells remains horrible, I have to hold my breath every time I go in. The management really needs to find out what is the reason for the unpleasant smell in the toilets.
WORST EXPERIENCE
Been to many club meds, understand that we will need to queue up to book for the fine dining restaurant for the following day or the same day, I fully respect that policy. I dont not have problems with other club meds, if we came late, they will tell us its already full or there’s already eg 35 people queuing , and don’t have to waste my time waiting there. Certain club med we have to come as early as half an hour to queue up but the GO will come and talk to us or entertain us with some games or magic show while waiting. BUT NOT THIS ONE. The reservation starts 6pm, and I was there about 5.50pm, and there’s already about 30 people queuing in front of me. Not knowing what is the limit I just keep queuing as its only 10 mins to 6pm. Nobody turns up, no GO, no staff from 6pm until 6.40pm. That’s also a pregnant lady queuing in front of me with her little kid in her hand. Some of the quest was so unhappy and started shouting and yelling where’s the GO, and how to contact one. That’s one turn up around 6.40pm and told us there are only 4 places left and we can go now. Can you imagine how frustrated after waiting for 40minutes. Why there’s nobody there at 6pm? Why only 4 places left? One of the guests was so mad and raised his voice and commented we don’t pay our money to get this kind of treatment. This so far is my worst experience ever in club med.
The following day I went to queue up earlier and this time I was told we can only book for lunch and not for dinner as dinner has been reserved for other VIPs. I understand I am not a VIP but at least appreciate club med to at least put a note there or a staff to be there earlier to inform us, not after waiting for more than half an hour, just sorry, its for VIP not you. Talk to us, let us know while waiting, isn’t it that’s what GO for
The only good things about Guilin club med is the GO
So the only good thing about club med Guilin is still the GO, especially the following GOs, who makes our experience in club med so much better. Thank you Victor, Jerry, Emilee, Kate, Jade, Mark Love, Coco, Carin, Catherine for their great company. All of them make our friend’s first club med experience so comfortable and memorable.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank JennyJian
ClubMedAP, General Manager at Club Med Guilin, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Hi JennyJian,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations.

I will make sure to review your feedback with the F&B team for improvement.
We will also be looking into the queueing system for the reservations of the restaurant.

I'm glad you enjoyed the company of our G.Os. They are indeed very talented and come from various countries around the world and they create a unique experience for our guests.

Thank you once again and rest assured that all feedback is reviewed with Management team here in Guilin.

Kind regards,
Club Med Guilin – General Manager

Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in club med Guilin with two other families from 13-17 Oct. Since one family booked separately, we have asked the club med staff to put us together as close as possible.

There was room available in the same building and same floor but only two families were arranged together.

When we checked in the room, the door frame fell down. Luckily, it didn't hurt my daughter. I was surprised on the maintenance of the hotel as it was only officially open in August.

The GOs are great but some of the buggy drivers are not helpful. Jade and other GOs in mini club were great! Although there was little hiccup, my daughter said it was her best club med experience (we went to other club med in the past)

Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

Me, my husband Andrea and my 5-year-old daughter Emma had an unforgettable week at Club Med Guilin.
Amazing location, lots of green, and super facilities.
Plenty of activities organized and handled very professionally but always with a warm, friendly and smiling attitude by all the personnel.
Lots of choices indoor, outdoor and always great shows and parties at night.
And paradise for the kids at the Mini Club!
The whole team is superb, but special mention to Gilles from the Management, Victor from the Sports Team, and Ben Ben, Sun, and Cam Cam from the MiniClub.

Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank PatriziaB74
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We all knows that the “Oct-1st Holiday” in China is always “People Mountain People sea”.
During this peak period, you got to make right decision.
It’s my second time to visit Guilin, and to choose Club Med for vacation with my family, did let us have a good time there.

Rock climbing, biking and bouncing are very interesting.

Special thank the GO Kate Rhodes, from New Zealand, the biking tour shows us the lovely village with sweet smile. The off road riding was so quiet, excited and safety. My wife & I did enjoy the biking with Kate.

One more thing is about the GO Jade Ysc, charmmy young lady can speak both English & Chinese. My daughter, 13-year-old, was take care by her for 4 days. She did have fun with all the program which was arranged by Jade.

Right choice in Guilin, choose Club Med.

Jacque

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 82_3Jacque
Reviewed October 12, 2013

My first experience here worked out really well. Very impressed by the service and facilities provided and the atmosphere created by the staff. It is basically suitable for any groups of people, no matter you go by yourself, with family/friends or as a group, you will find things to do and enjoy the beautiful landscape, diversified outdoor/indoor activities, nice food, amazing shows and parties, etc. Kids will definitely enjoy their time in the mini club. I travelled with my friend and her 6 year daughter for 3 nights, each of us had a blast and didn't want to leave. I would like to thank all of these great GOs and staff, those who I personaly dealt with and provided their greatest hospitality are: Nico (Indonesia), Emily (UK), Lisa (SA), Mckinsey (US), Alit (Indonesia), John(Mauritius), Andy (China), Martine(Taiwan), Simona (Latvia), John (Korea), Robin (China), Gid(SA), and Gille(France).

I'm looking forward to coming back again and enjoying your other sites.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends