“The worst Club Med in the world?”
Review of Club Med Guilin

and 1 more site!
Club Med Guilin
Ranked #1 of 648 Hotels in Guilin
Reviewed September 8, 2013

There are 2 Club Med in China. They both use the 50% off as opening deals to attract customers. However, both of them brought me bad experience.

The Ya Bu Li one opened a few years ago. I pre-paid 100% at the counter of Club Med in Guangzhou 2 months before but Club Med informed me after one month they offered a wrong price and requested me to pay the difference. With my invoice on hand, of course, i refused. I tried to defense for my basic right but Club Med refused to provide service and just requested me to get refund ignoring i have booked the air tickets for 4 persons and the period i booked for is the most peak season of China. Even I contacted Maggie, the GM of Club Med China, nothing was changed. Maggie gave zero feedback after replying with a message of "let me check". The holiday of us 4 were totally destroyed since we didn't have time to plan another trip within such short period and such peak season.

Last week, my company organized a workshop in the latest Guilin Club Med. It opened in Aug.. Besides all the GOs are very friendly and professional, the hotel management was proved totally a mess. Lots of staffs are waring their personal clothes since the uniform are not available yet. So don't be surprised if a man with Gucci belt comes to pick up your used dishes. We tried to registered the "white card" for private spending and the front desk people spent half hour trying to figure out why only one room could be issued while the other 2 rooms could not. And the result was no finding neither no solution. The floor is very slippery at the main passageway and caused my colleague slipped on ground twice. The cleaning lady scolded my colleague of putting toilet paper into the toilet. Shouldn't the toilet paper go to the toilet? Same spending was charged to my credit card after i left and actually it has been paid by cash. This mistake is still under Club Med's "investigation" at the moment i am writing this review.

If you are very despairing to have someone to look after your children so that you could go to SPA or biking; if you could stand for zero basic minimum hotel service, choose Club Med in China. It might be the worst 2 in the world.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JackieXian

Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

The bathroom is extremely small compared to Asian standard. The breakfast hour is extremely short (till 9:30) if you are on vacation and and want to wake up when you are fully rest (vacation hotel normally offers breakfast till 10:30). Check-out time is at 10:00!!! The cleaning lady came straight without knocking to our room at 9:30, woke us up when we were asleep! Came again at 10:00, which is really annoying. Restaurant ala carte can not be booked over phone, but you would need to go there and line up at 18:00 sharp at the reception for the next day!!! The temperature in the main restaurant was so low, that the food is immediately got cold. Felt like in a summer camp instead of on holiday.

But the personnel for the activities is extremely friendly, and competent. The hotel arrangement itself has a lot of room to improve.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Tao Z
Reviewed September 4, 2013

As a Club Med junkie, I had to try the newest largest (i think) Club Med in Asia. Club Med Guilin definitely has it's wow factor and grandeur with large spaces that make you feel so small. Their grounds are massive, so big that buggies are provided to take you from one main point to another. The rooms were superb, modern, new, well-equipped, spacious and extremely clean and comfortable. Food was not the best I've had in a CM but not bad. Although not the entire resort is completed yet (like golf course) and some staff are still not as well-versed or seasoned yet, some of the G.O.s that i met were just absolutely awesome and made our trip so worthwhile. Emily (Fitness - She's absolutely gorgeous, bubbly, fun and her classes were awesome! Did Steps, AquaGym and had so much fun and a good workout. Would've done Zumba and Abdo as well if i had more time), Kate (Mountain Biking - She's such a darling. She was patient enough to take me cycling around just within the grounds of the resort even if i was a beginner and ensured i was safe at all times), Adi (Bar - TBH, I never liked CM drinks until I met Adi who made amazing drinks that i actually liked), George (Archery- Such a sweetheart who's a new G.O. but tries so hard and actually speaks decent English for local), Jono & Jerry (Golf - Hilarious) and even Chef Osman (The only local chef who could speak good English, and gave us excellent personalised service), really were fantastic G.O.s, hosts and now friends for life. Really enjoyed the classes, sports, entertainment, F&B and competitions they were in charge of and they were just great company in general. Really made a difference to our trip that might otherwise have been not as great as expected as this was more of a family-orientated resort whereby most of the guests had children. Also, i would say 90% of guests were locals and this CM is really catered towards them, hence timing of meals, shows, etc. are different from other CMs i've been to, as well as majority of G.Os are Chinese-speaking. All in all though, we had a great time and truly miss the lovely G.O. friends we made!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jean L
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is my first time in Club Med but my friends and I really had a great time here. All the GO are so friendly and hospitable. They are so impressive. For me, I think this is the speciality of club med and it really makes guests feel at home.

Of course the rooms and the food are fantastic. I guess I have gained several pounds during my stay here.

I will definitely recommend my friends to be here and I myself will be back again and of course will go to other club med.

Here I would like to say thanks to The GO from Mini Club, Jade and Simona who have made my daughter so happy. And also the GO from my favourite game,Archery, Bren has brought me so much fun. I will keep the Gold Medal you gave to me forever.

also, I would like to say thanks to all the stAff members in Club Med who gave us excellent services and joy.

Wish you a brighter future.

Angela

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Good
- Newly built facility. Everything including even bathroom towels are very new.
- Very friendly and professional attitude of G.O. Special thanks to Victor - Rock climbing, Bren - Archery range, and Kate - MTB
- Well organized daily program.
- Great foods
- Kids school is impressive.

Bad
- Too many flies in the restaurant. Yes big fat flies! More flies inside restaurant than local street outside!
- No changing room facility around pool.
- No scheduled shuttle buggy (or sometimes not seen at all) that more than half of the resort area is basically deadweight zone.
This place is meant to be for parents with small KIDs. Don't expect us to go to all the way to the Art centre or Zen pool on foot all the time.
I asked shuttle driver to confirm this that he doesn't go those areas unless asked. Meaning that there is no return shuttle once you get there!

Room Tip: try to avoid 5th floor of the main building. there is no air-con. or very poor air circulation
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have been to four club Med village in Asia, I think Guilin Village is the best. Although there is no sea, but its artistic atmosphere, the surrounding scenery is better. The tour outside village is perfect, Li river, Impression Liu Sanjie, etc. Certainly, the G.O. is very nice there, especially Emily's Abdo Class, it’s so energetic and enjoyable. I also recommend Yoky’s Rock Climbing,The rock climbing is the featured activity. I will go there for holiday in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2013

As expected, staff were fantastic from guest relations to GOs. Super friendly. Great range of activities from rock climbing to yoga. Large premises - and particularly interesting given all the sculptures. Facilities are obviously new and beautiful. All in all, a great vacation and good value for money. Quick convenient transport from airport and easy to take a taxi from Club Med to do local sightseeing.

Only a few minor issues given it has just opened, such as the difficulty of booking a la carte dinner (i.e., finding a better process than having guests line up early in the morning to book a table), would be great to be given a map of the area and facilities when checking in, the noodles at the noodle bar were seriously overcooked!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guilin
Guilinyi Royal Palace
Lijiang Waterfall Hotel
#6 of 648 in Guilin
Banyan Tree Yangshuo
#5 of 479 in Yangshuo County

Been to Club Med Guilin? Share your experiences!