“Think Twice on this one” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Guilin Plaza Hotel
Ranked #122 of 605 Hotels in Guilin
Mernda, Australia
“Think Twice on this one”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for the beginning of our tour of China. We did not have a choice of hotel as it was part of the tour. We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. We found the staff rude, very few speak English. Check in was easy as we had our tour guide with us The room itself was fine, clean and spacious. Although the bed was rock HARD like sleeping on a wooden floor. We noticed no bottled water so I went down to reception to ask them for bottled water. Still waiting........................... We requested an iron and ironing board. It did arrive after a while. Upon check out we were charged for it, which my husband refused and they gave in. We ate one night at the hotel restuarant. PLEASE DON'T. The service is shocking really bad, so was the food. There was only four of us. Myself and hubby and another table with 2 Chinese men. They were looked after hand and foot. It took us over 20 minutes to get our drinks my husband got his rum and coke. I orderded a Brandy Alexander off the menu, nobody knew how to make it, so after 30 minutes I said forget it I will have a gin & Tonic. It eventually arrived. The meals itself were shocking, looked more like a frozen dinner meal. I ate part of it only because I was hungry. I used my husband's fork as mine was dirty. I did hand the dirty one over when I asked for a clean one. I never received one. My husband used chopsticks so didn't need his. Now for breakfast, the first morning I had asked for TEA, I was told by the waiter NO TEA, What I thought can't get a cup of tea in China??????????? The food, plenty of it but they cater for their own tastes and not for Westerners. The 2nd morning we received tea and toast without asking for it. The third morning tea, toast and pasteries. It just depended on who was on the front service. The location is no where near the centre of town. On their web site they say they have a shopping arcade, this consists of two tiny shops. Would we stay here again, NO.

Room Tip: Caters for their own rather than Westerners.
  • Stayed March 2011
4 Thank Kristine W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2010

At first sight the Guilin Plaza looked like a clean and glossy 4 or 5 star hotel. Unfortunately it fell far far short of the promise.

We could accept that it was not in the nicest part of town and surrounded by building works, but we were a bit disappointed to be pointed by staff in the direction of the swimming pool only to find the corridor leading there was inaccessible due to building works within the hotel which affected the pool and other facilities such as a guest lounge.

My partner went to the foreign exchange in the lobby (where they clearly advertised that they offered foreign exchange) to cash a traveler's cheque only to be told to go to the bank across the road!

You might think this a one off incident of poor service but this attitude seemed to run like a canker through all levels of staff. I had to ask the Manager 3 times to unlock our safe, which had been locked by the previous room occupant. Another 3 requests were needed to obtain a travel adapter for vital medical equipment following the loss of one at a previous venue.

Given that the guest facilities were not all open, it really took the biscuit when a small party of 4 of us were playing cards in the lobby (no money involved) but the Manager told us to stop playing in the lobby (even though there was a game going on in the shop behind us and nobody seemed to mind).

Fortunately the hotel is not too far from a popular restaurant chain beloved by children everywhere -because the food in the hotel was truly dire. The food on the buffet was stone cold when it was meant to be hot and the quality of the ingredients used was very poor.

The rooms were basic, the beds were hard but the rooms were not particularly dirty.

All in all I think this hotel really tarnished what would otherwise have been a wonderful and unforgettable experience. I could definitely not recommend anyone to stay here.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Jimj0will

Travelers are raving about these Guilin hotels

Overland Park, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2010

When you read the reviews as a whole, they are correct. This is a very average hotel, but may be one of the better options in town. Rooms are clean and quiet, large, but beds are hard.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bill F
Leek
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

Hotel stank of grease, hotel libby was shabby with high pressure salesman, chinese restaurant was dreadful, breakfast was poor, staff couldn't care less. So bad that we abandoned the Hayes and Jarvis trip and booked into another hotel. Avoid!

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank JRs2010
Salt Lake City
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2010

Our family booked two nights in two rooms at this hotel. For some reason I must have read the wrong reviews here in tripadvisor! The bathrooms were clean, but the beds were as hard a rocks and smell of varnish was over powering. We had to change from two rooms on the 5th floor to one on the 7th floor because the fumes were making us sick. No discount or apology was offered. When we asked for someone to come look at the airconditioner a housekeeping person showed up, fiddled with the switch for a minute and then informed us that there was no air conditioning in March. She also said something very rude on the way out the door. The one bright spot in our stay was the travel coordinator at the hotel. She was very helpful and sweet.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank fulfillingapromise
Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2010

My girlfriend booked the hotel as part of a tour package in Shanghai. However, when we got their because I was a "foreigner" they demanded I pay extra. I'm not sure the conditions of the tour package related to locals only rate or not or where the mix up occurred, but the "extra" itself that I had to pay was more than my entire hotel cost when I was in Shanghai. Very disappointed. The rooms themselves are fairly decent, but if you are a "foreigner" then I would stay away from this hotel...

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WorldTravelor44
Eureka, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2008

This hotel was part of a wonderful tool of Guilin and Yangshou. It made me realize that four star hotels in China are really what we would call three star hotels in the US. Walls are paper thin. View was of construction. There was pretty much construction all around the hotel, which is not in the city center or near any attractions. It was clean though.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family