“How hostels used to be - great staff, awesome location, backpacker atmosphere!”

Guilin Ming Palace International Youth Hostel
Ranked #2 of 52 Specialty Lodging in Guilin
Reviewed April 3, 2014

The second you step foot into Ming Palace, you are instantly taken back to all the great things about backpacker's hostels that have now been overlooked to make way for quirky, fancy hotel-style surroundings.

A fridge next to the reception filled with beer and water, worn-out sofas with travellers lounged over them, public-use computers that were probably once owned by Jesus and a pool table that has had one too many bad players ripping up the green - and this was just at reception. On the way up to the rooms, the walls are coated in messages and murals of travellers past, either saying how amazing their stay was (in writing and hilarious illustrations) or giving links to their personal blogs - on the staircase up to the first floor and the one up to the third, see if you can spot my JoeySupertramp blog urls!

The room was cosy and had all amenities required. After a motorbike accident in Yangshuo, the girlfriend just needed somewhere to relax and it was absolutely ideal for that.

The main pull about this place is the staff - friendly, always greeting you when you walk past and with very good English. When we missed our train to Kunming, we ended up dragging our bags all the way back to the hostel and, seeing that we were extremely stressed, the staff gave us a deluxe room for the price of a regular room - tell me where your fancy-pants hostels do stuff like that!

The bar area is really chilled out and perfect if you are hoping for a quiet night, updating your blog with a beer and a plate of noodles.

Also, when you step out of the hostel, turn right and take the first street on your right, about 4 or 5 shops in is a dumpling house with some of the best dim sum I have ever had - a bag of about 6 dumplings comes to less than a dollar! Just look out for the big silver steamer outside.

Room Tip: The third floor seems to be the most happening place in the hostel, it has access to the roof terrac...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JoeySupertramp
MingPalaceHostel, Manager at Guilin Ming Palace International Youth Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

We are very surprised to see your so detailed description, even living here every day we maynot observe and describe as well as yours. Seeing this words make me feel that I was living in a happy world, though I am very happy now. Hope your hand has been healed, and have a happy life with your girlfriend.

Reviewed April 3, 2014

Conveniently located in the centre, next to the river and yet it escapes the main crowds. Has all the needed facilities, wifi is fast and dorms are large, clean and the beds are nearly double in width.
But the winner is staff. Genuinely friendly and helpful. Great english, advices and prices. I do strongly recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014

Haha, we are the winner, and you are winner,too, so we can get a win-win. If more gusets come and enjoy here come here because of your highly recommended, I think it is an arrow many carves. Thank you and have a nice day.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

It was overall a good experience, the few things that i would like to suggest, that its really difficult to got o top floors and specially with luggage, so please try to put some lift system there. As the hostel was going through renovation so it was a bit mess on few floors but never-mind as we were there off season.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I stayed at this hostel for 3 nights over Chinese new year. I found the staff (Amy, Zoe, and Betty)were so friendly it felt like we were friends. They helped me book excursions to many attractions at discounted prices nearby Guilin. They also have a fantastic little restaurant inside which serves good western food! I thoroughly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 15, 2014

The only time I took public transport from the Ming Palace Hostel was to get to the Reed Flute Caves and then a tour from the hostel to the Dragon Backbone Rice Terrace. There are public buses near the hostel that go to the nearby attractions but based on the estimated times on google maps I just walked everywhere. It was about 3 km (30 mins) to the Elephant Trunk Hill and that was the furthest I walked and I went to the Solitary Beauty Peak (50 m about from the hostel), Wave-Subduing Hill, Folded Brocade Hill, Seven Stars Park, the Sun and Moon Pagoda, also really close to the Lonely Planet recommended Little Italian and Amani restaurants. Since it is on the river side of the city on a small street it was the quietest place I've slept in, in China. The staff were nice, the restaurant menu was brief but good and they had a movie showing in English (With English and Chinese subs) every night. They can also sell you discounted tickets to most attractions at the front desk. The WiFi was dodgy supposedly worked best in the restaurant area, but the AVG on my computer blocked the WiFi from me (no one else staying there had that problem).

The 'how to get there' info they send you may be out of date. as of January 2014 it is 11-15 RMB to get from the airport shuttle stop to the hostel via taxi (and you want the 20 RMB shuttle from the airport to the last stop, or it is about 120 RMB taxi ride)

I had a single en suite room and it took forever for the water to heat up in the shower/sink but once it was hot it stayed hot.

Great Location, great people I would stay again!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Cináed Remus L
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Ming International has some of the friendliest and most helpful hostel staff we've met on our travels. They came up to us of their own accord to offer travel advice and recommendations, and moved very quickly to rectify the situation when our hot water and heater did not work (moving us to the deluxe room). They also helped us with bus information for some of the more rural parts of Guangxi.

The beds here are Western-style and soft, and are also some of the most comfortable we've slept in in China. There is 24-hours hot water and heat, as well as laundry facilities.

The lunch and dinner menus at the hostel cafe also feature pretty decent food. We especially liked the beer duck, which is a specialty in these parts.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 12, 2014

i stayed there for there nights, this is my first trip to China, so i don't have any experience. I always warried about the communication when i was travelling, coz i've visit many countries, and most of them can't speak english as well, that's really a big trouble. but when i was here, in Ming Palace Hostel , everyone speak english, amazing ! they give me lots of advice ,thanks Zoe, Roy, Betty, Angle and Wen !

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo