“Great place to stay”

Guilin Ming Palace International Youth Hostel
Ranked #2 of 47 Specialty Lodging in Guilin
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Hi! I am Peter Santamera, The Ming Palace was a super place to stay. The saff and other guests were really friendly especially the staff. The social areas were lovely and as VCO22 above said there are lots of nooks and crannies where you can hide away if you want or socialise with other guests.
It was very important that I could access the internet and the Wifi was all over te hostel. My wife and I are learning Chinese in Yangshuo right now but we will return to the Ming Palace on our way to other parts of China. Location was good and facilities exellent. We look forward to our return. Well worth the money.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Peter S

Reviewed September 24, 2013

The welcome at the hostel was first rate and I even came back because of it. The social area is really nice as there are different nooks and crannies and if you don't feel so social you can hide or you can jump right into the action. There is also Wifi throughout which is great.
There is a nice terrace to look over at the mountains.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Victoria C
Reviewed September 16, 2013

A nice place.
Nice speaking english stuff.
Location is ok.
Rooms are nice though we had a room at the fifth floor...
The bar looks nice but the tv was too loud.
In the bottom line, it's a nice place in the city. Worth the money

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank adiwein
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Had one night at this hostel and the room was lovely, friendly helpful staff and good location. However we left our luggage for one night in the storage cupboard and when we returned it had been opened and looked through. When we told reception they did not seem to care! Would definitely recommend they get a more secure system for this. Otherwise good place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013
MingPalaceHostel, Manager at Guilin Ming Palace International Youth Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Hi there, thanks for your feed back. I am very happy to know that you like our hostel and the staff here. Yeah, the location of our hostel is close to any nice view in Guilin, it’s a pity that you don’t have more time can be spent in Guilin,
I am sorry for the inconvenient caused to you, It never happen before. And we already realize the problem, we will allot a card to the guest and help them to do it if they want to store their luggage after that, thanks very much for your good suggestion as well.
The suggestion and support from our guest will always be the power which push us to be better and better, thanks. Team of Ming Palace.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Fantastic hostel. We stayed in a mixed dorm, within the room we had secure lockers which could fit backpacks. The hostel itself - bedrooms, bathrooms and common space - were always kept clean and tidy. The big common space was an appealing place to hang out and meet other travellers. Cheap food and drinks ensured there was always a good atmosphere. The staff were always helpful. We'd highly recommend staying with Rock&Wood.

Room Tip: Good~Good~Good~
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2013

The staff of Ming Palace International Hostel were not only the most friendly we encountered during during our two weeks of our travels through various places in China, but their English language ability is also more than adequate. Our two double rooms were very spacious, clean and had air-conditioning. Room prices cheaper than in the other hostels we stayed at in Beijing and Lijiang. The bar and breakfast facilities were good, and the atmosphere in the communal areas appealing. The location is also excellent. Within a few minutes you can reach the bank of the Li River and both Western and Chinese restaurants.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anpene
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I have been to a lot of hostels whilst travelling through Asia. Asia's hostels are better than most around the world, but this place is pretty special. As a hostel it is standard. Rooms are clean, even the cheapest rooms have a bathroom between 6, but I believe its outstanding qualities lie with the staff. I as a solo traveller it wasn't always easy to make instant connections with the people in my room especially as my Chinese still isn't great and I rarely ended up sharing with any westerners. As this was more of a base for me I went back and forth to this hostel 3 times! When you find something good stick with it, and this was great! I spent my evening either walking round the city that was only a short walk from the hostel or in the company of the amazing staff who were always helpful and accommodation and most importantly constantly trying to improve their English and their customer service. I had a fantastic time talking to the staff and would go back to Guilin just to visit people who I have come to consider my friends!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo