“One of the best hostels I've ever stayed at...”

Guilin Ming Palace International Youth Hostel
Ranked #2 of 40 Specialty Lodging in Guilin
Toronto, Canada
“One of the best hostels I've ever stayed at...”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I kind of randomly chose this hostel but I am so glad I chose this one. It is simply one of the best hostels I've ever stayed at and I have stayed in over a hundred... The girls at the reception work hard (as well as everyone in the hostel) and service is very efficient.
Beds are comfortable, big lockers for each guest, private bathroom, toilet paper provided (it is rare in a hostel in China!), bed light and various plugs for each bed, cool chill area/bar with TV, pool table, food, drinks... I had a great time and had to extend my stay a few days. Thanks for teaching me mah-jong! One of the girls took me out for a BBQ and I tried food I had never tried before, delicious! I will definitely recommend this hostel to anyone I know going to Guilin!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank inmmmeoriam
MingPalaceHostel, Manager at Guilin Ming Palace International Youth Hostel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Hi, thanx for your review~
I just want you to know that we enjoyed your company as much as you enjoyed staying with us. It is a little bit of a pity that you didn't won during the ma-jong game, though. Hah, next time then! Hopefully we will see you again sometime in the future and you'll beat us all by then. Best wishes and lots of love to you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
london
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I stayed in MingPalace hostel during the busy chinese holiday period. Despite the busy time the staff was super friendly and helpful. It was nice to get to know them a bit better not just exchanging a few words while paying. They had time to talk/ interact with guests, made me feel like at home among friends, which was very nice. All that and more not mention that i left my lucky shorts in the hostel which i will collect in different part of China, thanks to amazing staff in Ming Palace :-) ..i thought i would never get the shorts back ..how cool is that?! Hostel itself is very clean and cosy. Highly recomended! Will be back!
Thomas

1 Thank thomas p
Yangshuo
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We had a great experience in this hostel. The place is well located in a calm street. We had a large clean room for a 100/n. Staff was very friendly and helpfull, spoke quite good english. The common room are pretty big so that it doesn't get too loud. Good breakfast and fare price food. The 5th floor roof terrace also has a nice view.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bestiola2020
Munich, Germany
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Not really recommended! Compared to all the other hostels that I stayed in during my 3-weeks in China this was the worst one and I would not stay there again. Maybe I was just not lucky with that place...

First, I had the worst check-in with no information about where my room nor the facilities nor the surroundings of the hostel. And, I had to wait forever because there was just one person at the reception and the guy in front of me had to think about what tour to take. It was only 8pm, there could have been 2 people at the desk, I think. There are cats in the lobby that belong to the hostel and there are cockroaches in the lobby. The internet on the computers does not always work in the evening/night. I could use the internet on the laptop of on of the receptionists - that was nice though! They helped me doing the laundry, that was nice also (I was not smart enough doing it myself - mea culpa).

The single room was very small, the smell in the bathroom awful - when brushing your teeth you better hold your breath, it is a very moldy smell, not much different than in the rest of the hostel. The bar staff is very slow and their English bad and they're not especially friendly. I had to wait for 15 minutes to get a coffee in the morning.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
MingPalaceHostel, Manager at Guilin Ming Palace International Youth Hostel, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Muna E, thanks for the feedback. It’s a pity that you didn’t have a pleasant stay at our hostel, we oppologize for all the inconvenience has been caused to you. At Ming Palace Youth Hostel, we value every customer feedback and take your comments seriously. I have inspected the whole situation and gave our new staff stricter training. They will handle their work more properly next time.
A great hostel is not built in one day. Accepting your critism, we’d also like to ask you for a second chance. Either you or your friend visit Guilin again, we can offer one night for you for free. We assured that you will have a different opinion of us by then.
Good luck,
Ming Palace Hostel Team
London
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Had a great couple of days here - very friendly staff, wonderfully social (but not rowdy) atmosphere, clean beds and cheap DIY laundry. For me, I'm normally one to use the hostel much more as a cheap bed instead of as a place to hang out - prefering to spend most of my time wandering the town and city in aim of coffee-sipping etc... in Guilin, I found the reverse to be true - the hostel was the ideal place to spend some time, to read, eat, drink, and get some good advice on travel in the region. Highly recommended

1 Thank xliam
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We had booked this hostel due to the rave reviews online but were unfortunately rather disappointed. On a postive note the staff were courteous (I wouldn't go as far to say 'friendly') although sometimes the service times were slow i.e. the main receptionsist would be on the phone and two others would be sitting down at the table eating...The main lobby has a nice atmosphere as everyone tends to hang out and there is a bar and a TV which is nice. The location is a short walk to the main shopping/eating area which is good. On a more constructive note...we were given a room on the 4th floor which wasn't ready around 1pm (fair enough early arrival as check in is at 2pm), but when we got inside it didn't smell clean at all. There was a strong smell of sewage, the sheets smelt of body odour and there was a dead moth on the mirror. We then asked to switch rooms only to be told that there weren't any available. We were only offered an alternative twin room when we mentioned that we were willing to pay extra. To be fair, the receptionist offered us a small discount. Whilst this was appreciated, it was by no means forthcoming. The wifi signal on the 4th floor was also very weak. The hostel does not provide a ticket booking service (except for tours and taxis to the airport). This surprised me as having travelled around China for three weeks and stayed in many hostels, I believe this is a standard service. On a more serious note, I had asked the hostel to freeze some ice packs for me which I needed for my medication. When I was checking out, she handed them back to me unfrozen (even though I had mentioned that they needed to be frozen hence why she needed to put them in the freezer). When she offered us some ice, which the barman tried to charges us Y10. All in all we had bad first and last impressions of this hostel and so would not recommend it at all. Suspiciously I am unable to leave a review on hostelworld...

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the 4th floor as the wifi signal is weak. Also, if you're a couple you m...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
MingPalaceHostel, Manager at Guilin Ming Palace International Youth Hostel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear cashformike, I can feel your rage through your extreme words. We thank you for choosing our hostel, but your comments only reveals your lack of knowledge about our work and the local conditions.

Youth hostel staff, unlike hotel receptionists, has to deal with trivial yet urgent work every single day, i.e. help travelers plan their trips, sending postcards, book accommodation for the next destination, translate for foreign guests, answer countless questions about where to eat/shop, what to do in the city, where to see a doctor, etc. You saw our receptionist eating at the front desk was because they could only spare a little time to satisfy their hunger with cookies. Please understand if our service is slow sometimes. We don’t book bus tickets to Yangshuo because it runs every ten minutes that no one will spend 30 minutes on the way to book a ticket when you can easily get one at the bus station. As for your icepacks, we have apologized for several times and gave you free ice as compensation.
We always encourage our guests to communicate with us. Posting negative review afterwards might reduce your dissatisfaction and our reputation, but it certainly can’t make your problem solved. We would have double checked and upgraded your room for free if you reported the main issue, as we aim to provide a comfortable environment to our guests.
Even though you won’t recommend us at all, we still believe that the masses have sharp eyes. There is a reason why we are recommended by so many other real travelers and we won’t let them down.
Minneapolis
Reviewed September 19, 2012

What a wonderful place to have as your homebase. We had a room with two double beds - and (besides the ants) it was wonderful! There was an AC unit, which was wonderful after a hot day touring around. Plus, it was just outside the old city, so we were able to walk around the old part at night. I love that the locals love to be active and are dancing, playing various sports, swimming and enjoying being outside.

We did both the Li River Cruise and the Rice Terrace tours through the hostel. Both were very affordable and we met the nicest people. Plus, the tours were good. That's the plus when staying at a youth hostel - you meet people that have similar travel goals.

The staff was the friendliest by far! I felt the most comfortable while we stayed here. They even had someone up at 5:30am to make sure the taxi driver understood where we needed to go.

I would recommend this hostel to anyone who wants a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: I heard that the bunk rooms could be noisy - so if you're looking for a good nights sleep - get...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends