“Beautiful Saddleback Karst Mountain, but facilities just okay”
Review of Nanxi Park

Nanxi Park
Ranked #47 of 154 things to do in Guilin
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Nanxi Shan Gong Yuan (南溪山公园), "South Stream Hill Park," is located just a few minutes south of Guilin on the main road (Zhongshan Lu). The park is not on the "top tens" of Guilin travel guides, but I think its worth a visit. During peak tourist season, this park may not be so busy. Also, the park is close enough to Guilin City Center to see the park in half a day, but far enough south to get a different view (than Fubo, Diecai, or Solitary Beauty Peak). The mountain's extreme saddle-shape is unique, and the views from the top are worth the climb.

We visited the park for my birthday, climbed to the temple in between the two peaks, then attempted to free-climb to the top of either peak. The steps end before reaching the top of either peak, but that doesn't stop most visitors. Follow the path a bit further up for better views. If you want a serious adventure, climb to the top (at your own risk).

Alternate Entry: To get into the park for free, avoid the main entrance. Instead, walk south toward the Nanxi Shan Hospital. Before reaching the hospital, head east down the first ally south of the park; you will see a nice international hotel and a large parking lot. Look for paths up the mountain (there are a few). Then, begin your climb up Nanxi Shan from the back side of the park.

The facilities are not great, nor are they very clean. On the northeast side of the park, there is a tea house offering various teas and souvenirs. The art made of pressed tea-leaves was most impressive.

Also, the stream in front of the mountain can be more of a cesspool than a stream (depending on the amount of recent rainfall). Even so, the dirty water shows up quite nice in pictures.

1  Thank Matthew J
There are newer reviews for Nanxi Park

Reviewed December 8, 2013

We thought to visit this park because we saw this when we wander the city with a bus without any fixed destination. Although the entrance fee was very high (60RMB) We thought to have a visit due to two reasons.
01. It was given AAAA Rating
02. The security guard at the entrance was so helpful with providing us with details..

What we saw?
The landscape was only around the entrance area, and after about 100meters, nothing much to see at all. there is a temple in side, but you have to pay for ring a bell or play a drum. caves were closed except one and photography was not allowed in temple area.

Most annoying thing was there is an entrance to teh park few meters away which we could enter without paying a cent. How do we know? we exited using that gate and there was no one around the exit and it was directly opened to the main road.

Its a Rip..and that was our only disappointment in Guilin.

1  Thank nish1231
Reviewed November 12, 2013

The journey to Nanxin Park just 30 minutes from the bus stop near hotel stay. Location of the park heading out of the city of Guilin. Lots of visitors on a holiday, because the park is so beautiful, neat and spacious. hilly contours of the land, a variety of plants and flowers decorate the garden. there are some caves that had to pay again if entered. I do not go in for a bit scared and pay her fairly expensive.

Given the spring, I'd love to this park because of the info from the hotel staff I could find the cherry blossoms here.
But unfortunately, I just found a little cherry blossoms. several days of heavy rain have eroded the beautiful flowers. There are several types of cherry. I wish I could go back to the park to enjoy cherry blossoms with my family.

1  Thank Indriws
Reviewed May 7, 2012

beautifu/so many people.I went there with my good friend and try to make some photoes by my new Single Lens Reflex) Camera

Reviewed May 5, 2012

It's a beautiful park especially in spring when there's cherry blossoms. You can climb the mountains which give you an incredible view of Guilin or just relax in the park. It's a nice place for romance and chatting.