“I didn't want to leave.”

Shangri-La Hotel Guilin
Ranked #2 of 613 Hotels in Guilin
Milwaukee
“I didn't want to leave.”
Reviewed May 6, 2010

I recently booked 2 rooms for 2 nights with my husband and 23 year old son. It was wonderful, I can't say enough about it. It had only been open for 1 month, when we arrived, so we got a special introductory offer, with breakfast included. The buffet was outstanding, the best breakfast I've had in China. The dinner buffet was also excellent, with more choices than I would have imagined. Since the hotel was so new, the outdoor and indoor pools and the spa were not opened yet., although they looked beautiful. The gym was huge, with top of the line equipment. The business center offered free internet service, as I did not have a laptop. All staff were completely attentive, excellent service. My one complaint is that smoking is allowed in the common areas, and it did ruin the atmosphere of an otherwise gorgeous lobby. Also, there are some residential buildings on one side of the hotel, but bamboo is planted, which should offer more privacy.

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank midwesterner51
Sigi_8, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Guilin, responded to this review, May 7, 2010
Thank you very much for your kind comments about shangri-la Guilin, Rest assured they will be passed on to our staff to encourage them even more to reach higher levels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
singapore
Reviewed April 29, 2010

This hotel is not in the heart of Guilin city but only minutes away by car. I stayed here during the soft opening when they offered really attractive rates and was expecting spotty service. I'm happy to report that the staff was extremely well trained and helpful. One small complaint - the special tea at the Shang Palace was not as good as that at the Shang Palace in Shenzhen. In fact the regular Long Jing tea we drank during our first dinner tasted much better than the 100 yuan deluxe version we drank during our second dinner. Overall, a very enjoyable stay it was!

Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Scotland, UK
Reviewed April 28, 2010

We stayed one night. We were picked up from the airport in a lovely new, spacious vehicle with leather interior.

There was a little confusion at check in - one member of staff thought we hadn't yet paid (we had paid in advance and had our receipt to prove it thankfully).

Our deluxe room was spacious and wonderful but there was a slight 'dirty drain' smell from the bathroom the following morning. The decor was fairly acme chain hotel, though there was a beautiful painting of the karst peaks, on the wall behind our bed.

The breakfast buffet was the best we encountered with an extensive selection to suit just about everyone.

Although the staff were courteous and pleasant no-one assisted us with our luggage to our car after we checked out.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Mexico
Reviewed April 25, 2010

I made a 2-week trip to China last month and stayed for a couple of night at the Shangri-La in Guilin. Hotel is brand new with top notch service, staff will do anything to get you what you need. We stayed at premier club rooms, and one of them had a breath taking view of Guilin's famous karsts. Breakfast is not that good though, I must say that the hotel just opened so it still has some details to look after but I could honestly say this hotel is very good, extremely clean and will get you a very nice sleep after some sightseeing in this amazing place! I can also recommend the Sound and Light show in the Yangtzee river, which the staff there recommended us and got us tckets. Great experience!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Hong Kong
Reviewed April 20, 2010

I spent a couple of nights at the Shangri La with my husband and we loved it there!

- The staff is very helpful and most of them speak English- don't hesitate to ask them to translate street/landmark names for you in Chinese, it will save you a lot of hassle.

- The location is good too - only 5-10 minutes away from the centre of Guilin.

- The room is comfortable and you'll have the best rest in years as the bed is SO comfy!! Only drawback, the views are not as pristine as I expected ... it is a bit built up.

And the last but not the least - the food. I honestly think I could go back to Guilin just to enjoy the Shangri La buffets again!
The food is fresh, varied (Chinese, Japanese, Western, Indian etc ...) and if you have a sweet tooth they serve the best macaroons I had in my life (and believe me, I had many!) as well as beautiful tarts and cakes... Heaven!

Just one last thing, if you don't arrive too late at night, get a taxi (get the name of the hotel in Chinese) and don't use the hotel's transfer as it is 4 times the price of a normal taxi. The cars are very spacious and comfortable but I think very overpriced.

I warmly recommend this hotel and will definitely stay there again next time I am in Guilin.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed April 16, 2010

We booked the "Deluxe Room".

Good points:
The staff are helpful and polite.
The bed is comfortable.
Can borrow a power strip for free (coz the type of sockets in the room is the new type).
Complimentary breakfast buffet.
Free shoe polishing service.

Bad points:
The location is a little bit far away from the city center. We went in and out by TAXI only.
No computer, No Wi-Fi service (you have to bring yoru own notebook to access the internet).

Conclusion:
Nice hotel but no surprise with the room. The interior design of the washroom is just too simple.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank missrain