“100% my all-time favourite hotel in the world”

Shangri-La Hotel Guilin
Ranked #2 of 659 Hotels in Guilin
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Most reviews can get very samey - denoting how the rooms are of a good standard, staff are friendly and food is enjoyable. But the Shangri-La Guilin takes it to a new level. The dinner buffet on offer every night at the hotel is extremely good value for money, with multiple cuisines and quick service. Guilin is a fantastic city to visit for witnessing authentic China, and both the location and concierge of the hotel ensure that this is maintained for international visitors. Within walking distance of many attractions, the staff can also grab you a cab within a minute to get you to local attractions a bit farther away e.g. Elephant Trunk Hill. All rooms are expectedly clean and the hotel offers comfort and peace of mind, as you are not worrying about the value for your money nor problems with your experience. This hotel really is a one-off.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,177)

Reviewed April 3, 2013

My family and I spent 5 nights here. There are many terrific reviews of this hotel. It definitely lives up to the "Shangri-La" name. So many employees in the hotel spoke such good English that I almost forgot we were in China.

The setting of the hotel is an oasis in the city. The hotel is quite new. The buffet breakfast was terrific. Due to our daily tours, we only ate one quick dinner in the Ubar, and it was very good also.

I spent the money on transfers for my family to and from the airport in a very nice van, with wifi! It was very nice and well worth the money (50 minutes each way).

Room Tip: Our river/garden view was very nice, but if you are touring every day you may just want a standard v...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 3, 2013

The Shangri-la Hotel in Guilin lives up to the Shangri-la tradition of excellence. This is a hotel in which your visit can never be long enough. Our room was excellent, facing the beautifully landscaped grounds between the hotel and the Li River. The gardens are worthy of a visit. Unfortunately, we visited before summer, and the beautiful outdoor pools were not open. Our room's view included many of the beautiful Guilin "gumdrop" mountains and the Li River. The room was very large with a beautiful bathroom. Both the room and the public spaces were well decorated and immaculate. The breakfast buffet was huge and included both western and Asian foods. The baked goods were outstanding. They had many stations making hot, fresh food for the patrons. We had sandwiches in a small bar/restaurant on the premises, and the cheeseburgers were a welcome respite from our usual Chinese entrees. The hotel is located across the river from the downtown and lake region of Guilin, but with a guide, we did not have a problem with this location. I must add that we were given some incorrect information during check-in, but the hotel stood behind the advice given by our agent. As in all of the Shangri-la Hotels I have visited, service was impecible. This hotel is highly recommended.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel with fabulous facilities. The rooms are tastefully furnished and very spacious as are the communal areas.

The buffet was extensive and the a la carte menu decent with some local dishes which are well worth trying.

The staff were extremely polite and very helpful with a good grasp of English.

The only complaint that we had was to do with the swimming pool as we told that we had to use a swimming cap, and since we didn't think to pack one before we came on holiday we couldn't use the pool, which was a disappointment to our 7 year old daughter.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We would definitely stay in shangri-la hotels again. We did not get a River view room, but we got a nice view of the front and some of the city. The amenities are excellent and the breakfast buffet was outstanding. I loved the gardens around the restaurant where we had breakfast.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Some of the guest rooms so-called 'River View' rooms, and you need to pay more for this purpose. However, the river view in front of this hotel actually has nothing being exciting. The 'river view' is too exaggerated to be described on the hotel website.

Room Tip: choose the standard room, it is not worth to pay more for the 'river view' room
Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night while in Guilin. I had arrived quite late to the hotel but they checked me in very fast and I even managed to book a spa appointment after my shopping trip as the spa opens till about midnight. Massage was really good. I even fell asleep and they let me fall asleep till the spa closed! Service was great. I would stay here again if I visited Guilin as this is definitely the best hotel in terms of quality around town.

• Stayed: March 2013