“hidden gem”

Ranked #11 of 619 Hotels in Guilin
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
“hidden gem”
Reviewed May 22, 2010

We loved it here, sadly we only stayed for one night, we had intended on returning but time ran out. Ok here is the deal, you get hotel standards at hostel prices. The room (deluxe) was lovely; spacious, light, and clean with a comfortable bed. We had a large balcony with chairs and were able to sit with a beer and admire the riverside view.
The staff are incredible, very helpful and so friendly, we would definitely stay here again.
I advise you to get an airport pick up. We made the mistake of getting the bus which dropped us under a bridge (the rain was torrential) a few miles away, then we had to get a taxi to the hostel. The taxi drivers were all trying to rip us off, they didnt want to put the meter on and were asking crazy prices for this short trip. The taxi we did get dropped us off at the wrong place, we ended up trudging around in the rain with heavy back packs for 30 minutes before we found the hostel.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Indonesian first
Singapore
Reviewed April 22, 2010

I have booked room in Guilin Riverside No. 6 ... Its very old hostel...the toilet door lock is spoilt and i was being locked inside the toilet for 20-min
But fortunately they come n help me unlocked the door within 5-min time.
The service is good but the room condition is very bad...
I try to booked No.5 but it was full.... Its a bad experience of staying here!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank EuniceWLP
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed April 21, 2010

Don't be fooled. This is not really a hostel it is so much better!!!!!Every room has a private bathroom. It is really a small boutique hotel with very personalised service. Absolutely wonderful.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed April 19, 2010

Very friendly staff. We got help from the wonderful shan-shan, who speaks excellent English and helped us a lot.
Hotel is new, very clean, located on the bank of the river, not far from the main attractions and from the center of Guilin.
We loved it, and if we ever come back to Guilin, we will stay here again.

Cheshire, England
Reviewed April 16, 2010

My teenage son and I arrived late evening and were glad to have booked their airport transfer as it was tucked away down a little alley by the river. We had the bunk room which, although small was nicely appointed with a modern and clean ensuite shower room which even had a hairdryer in it. The bed was a bit hard for my liking. I could not get my mobile phone to charge and the staff were most helpful in trying to sort it out for me. The next morning we wanted to take a bamboo raft on the Li River and I was a little disappointed they were unable to arrange that, instead they told us to walk to the train station and get a bus, then a minibus to Yangdi and they wrote this in Chinese for me. I was a bit overwhelmed by this but we set off. Luckily it was a straight road and only about 10 mins walk and once at the station a lady selling the raft trip negotiated a price with us and came on the bus to escort us, I think the raft belonged to her husband.
For the price we paid I was most impressed by this hostel

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed April 11, 2010

We arrived here after 6 days in Beijing. So nice and warm in Guilin. The Riverside Hostel (more like a small hotel) arranged to have us picked up at the airport which is always nice. Shan Shan and the rest of the staff treated us very well. We stayed on the third floor (couples room) and had a large private balcony overlooking the river. We also had a large washroom and kingsized bed. Buildings are all lit up at night along the river and we were woken up in the morning to gentle singing and local people doing tai chi along the river front. Guilin itself is a nice city with several attractions (Reed Flute Cave, Solitary Beauty Park, Twin Pagodas). The parks and pagodas are easy walking distance but we took a taxi to the cave. Taxi driver also took us to a pearl museum/jewlrey maker/retail location which at first I was somewhat leary about but he gave us a clear choice as to whether we wanted to go and in the end it was very nice. There was also a nice pedestrian shopping street (watch out for the touts) which had a really great restaurant which served good pizza and other western foods if you're ready for that. Cheers

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed April 10, 2010

It has a good location. The atmosphere is not bad.
(I booked block No.5 but not No.6)

We arrived the hostel very late that night. When I checked in and entered the room I found that they've made a mistake on my booking!
The room type was totally different from what I expected.
I made a complaint to the staff, but the answer was that the room I booked has already been occupied by the other guests.
They apologized and insist that the room they gave me was same price to the one I booked.

Who cares???
Same price, so we should accept your mistake??

Yes we had no other choice because it was already midnight.
Finally, my room became a NO view room and had a narrower double bed,
although I booked a riverview room with a wider double bed.

Moreover, when my bf switched on the TV, it only showed a blue screen (and the channel number) whenever you press any button. We just could not believe it. A TV set without any signal. Use for decoration?

I was very disappointed and upset.
That was my first trip with my bf, I did not want to disappoint him.
He told me that this bed was quite narrow. Of course he would not be offended, but I was just feeling sorry to him.

How could it be happened!? I still could not understand.

Two more minor problems.
1) The carpet in front of the toilet was very dirty. Yet the room and toilet were still clean. Cleanliness is Acceptable....if you can ignore the dirty carpet.

2) My bf connected to their Wi-Fi service, but could not load anything. What I can say is that don't expect much on the Wi-Fi.

Another Interesting thing, my bf asked "why are there some leaves in the bottom of wardrobe?"
I did't know how to answer him. I smiled, "May be they are decorations." :D

I may choose this hostel again.... if I travel by myself next time.

1 Thank missrain