“Good location, good rooms, nice staffs”
Review of Lakeside Inn

Lakeside Inn
Ranked #9 of 652 Hotels in Guilin
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Considering prices of other hotels within the same neighborhood sandwiched by two most tourist attraction lakes, and near to vivid night scene, I think this hotel is a gift to traveler.
Rooms are nicely decorated and clean. I think it was renovated recently. Though one of the rooms(at least mine, with two king-size beds) may face the place where the construction is, I can bear this small(really small) noise with the price and quality of the rooms.
There are bars where you can drink cheap and OK Chinese tea and coffee, very good secluded place especially when you want to avoid nightmarish(sometimes pleasant though...) Guilin's night scene. Puer and Longjing tea's price is very competitive.

There are only three rooms, so it is easy to be filled up. You may be guided to other affiliated hotel called "Riverside Inn" which I've never experienced but not that good based on reviews.

So if you can't book here, I would recommend go for Wada or other options.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Hosang_China

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Stayed only over night when we go back from Yangshuo and need to catch flight next Morning in Guilin. The girl waited us till 12:30am during night time for check in and got up before 6am next morning for check out..
The room is actually spacious enough compared with my expectation after viewing hotel pictures. Downstairs is a bar which is a nice place for gathering. The hotel is very close to Shan lake(just in front of door) that's why we like the location as well.
Considering the price, I think it's with great value for those budget travelers who also care about cleanness and surroundings.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 7, 2013

we stayed at the lakeside while transiting to Yanshuo. Nice affordable place next to the pagodas. Also very close to the main shopping street and night market. strongly recommend for a short stay as the amenities are pretty basic. Nice pub which also serves limited food. Room are spacious, but the bathroom is a bit rundown

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Divyes
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I have been going to this place for over 1.5 years and i haven't found any other place like it in Guilin yet.The staff and owners are all 100% making sure you have the best stay possible!If you just like a good atmosphere and conversation with people from around the world then this is your place.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 15, 2013

A nice, mellow place with a friendly staff.

The price seemed high for low season (Y168 for a double).

Our room was above a noisy parking lot; the window was at the head of the bed.

There was a useless space-heater in the room (the portable, electric radiator type that has some sort of non-flammable liquid inside of it) that was good for drying socks and not much else.

The bathroom had a liquid bath soap/shampoo dispenser, but the contents were so thoroughly diluted that neither produced a decent lather.

The coffee was overpriced and watery.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the parking lot.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cooper B
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Great stay at this inn! It lives up to it's name - it's really a pub with 3 rooms on the second floor. I was skeptical b/c of it's size and price (<30 USD/night) but the single room was spacious and clean. The bed in fact is the softest one I've experienced yet in China (incl. staying at hiher rated hotels). Even though it's upstairs from a pub, I didn't hear any noise from going ons downstairs or smell any smoke. Locals, expats and tourists seem to find there way here - it's a chill place to hang out and the decor is very mountain rustic.

The best part and what puts this place over the top however is the staff. I saw the owner all 3 - he's very friendly and curious. The young college students working there are likewise, friendly and helpful - getting me a heater, providing food recommendations... Their English was good enough so that we could carry on a conversation beyond "what do you want". They arranged a tour for me and purchased a plane ticket to Xi An which was cheaper than what I found on other discount sites.

There were a few downsides but you have to remember this isn't a 5 star or even 3 star hotel. The place is not centrally heated so it gets cold during the winter. However, they gave me a space heater which totally did the trick. I can't say much about the food as I only had breakfast once but I don't think it was worth it.

My tip for food would be to head to the pedestrian/food court to the left of the inn. Take a left out of the inn and walk past the Waterfall hotel until you reach a pedestrian shopping area and ask someone where the food is. It's down an alley (can't remember if it's marked) and has stalls and stalls of food - everything from noodles to baked goods. I had dinner there for less than 10 RMB and it was tasty. Pick up some exotic fruit on your way back and enjoy it at the hotel - staff will gladly give you a knife or even cut it up for you. I and some other guests shared a "chicken egg" fruit with the owner and staff.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Loved our 2 night stay in this small inn. The bar area was cosy and friendly, the bedroom equipped with everything we needed and a decent shower but the thing that really made this place stand out was the fantastic staff - they were exceptionally helpful, keen to practice their English and just utterly charming! Fab value for money too, cannot fault it. Even the guests were great and we had a very sociable evening in the bar area with fellow guests, staff and a couple of other travellers who popped in for a drink in the bar.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple