“Everything is Ritz standard except the location...”

The Ritz-Carlton, Guangzhou
Ranked #2 of 3,503 Hotels in Guangzhou
Reviewed September 13, 2009

I like to match the location of the client I am visiting to the comfort of the hotel I will be in while there. This involves 'specing' out the location to ensure amenities exist near the hotel, whose prices tend to be hotel standard = inflated.

The property is smashing interior wise, from the clean, spotless interior spaces, to the rooms whose size is awesome, comfortable, and quiet.

I have stayed in stellar properties before, and this one did not disappoint.

And now the rest of the story..

Having read other reviews from Tripadvisor, I had thought perhaps external amenities were finished in the area since the 2010 Asia Games are close.

They are not.

I did not have the Pearl River view. I had the desolation / construction lot one facing towards the North. The room is fantastic, but with that view, keeping the shades closed is a winner.

"It's a long way to Tipperary" Snoopy used to whistle. Well, it's also a long way to walk from the hotel to the nearest mall. The sidewalks are mostly broken for the 20 minute walk to the Grandview Mall, in which food, beverage, and a Starbucks can be found. Watch your step on that walk to avoid the spit on the sidewalk. It's a cultural thing. Around the hotel, like a nuclear blast zone, there is noootthhinnng. During that walk, remember you are in China, and do NOT cross the street if the green walk signal is on without ensuring the cards are truly stopped for you. Red lights here tend to be a suggestion, not a fact. Use the undeground walkways if they exist. They are unmarked but will be near the corners of the intersection.

While the hotel offerred to call me a taxi, from my lack of Mandarin to return me combined with an experience of some Chinese taxi's not using the meter, I decided to walk to and from the hotel to the mall. The humidity is near 90%. That combined with temps in the 90's turn your walk to ick quickly. Forget using the metro, as the streets are under construction to the nearest stop, and I could not verify the metro itself is even built yet.

Summary: While the hotel is a fantastic property, it's location must be noted. The construction sites nearby are nowhere near completion, nor is there any sort of hurry to do so, from appearances. This is as of September, 2009.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business

An Agoda Traveler
Reviewed August 29, 2009

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed August 24, 2009

I've had the good fortune to stay at many of the 5-star hotels on Park Lane in London for business, so I have a pretty high expectations when it comes to top-notch hotels. The Ritz in Guangzhou is absolutely on the same level in terms of the facility and the amenities. Even the service was outstanding (for China, where I found almost all higher-end hotels get an A+ for effort and a B-/C+ for delivery).

The room was huge, and beautifully appointed, and the bathroom was also quite large and very well-done with marble and gorgeous fixtures, etc. It really was first-rate. I believe there are three restaurants in the hotel (one on the ground floor and two on the 2nd or 3rd floor), but I only tried the ground floor for the breakfast buffet - which was excellent (and included in my room rate). The 3rd floor also has a well-stocked and very well-appointed bar, and there's a small lounge in the lobby area where you can have drinks/coffee/snacks as well. Overall everything is truly outstanding, except . . .

Location, Location, Location! I originally planned to stay 5 nights but ended up checking out after only one night. The reason? This area is completely desolate. Despite being in the center of town of you look on a map, there is absolutely nothing within walking distance except construction sites and a small back-alley shopping area where there is nothing except one-room stalls selling fruits & veggies, beer, etc. Even some taxi drivers don't know where the hotel is, or even the street it's on. My girlfriend grew up in Guangzhou and she tells me the area was, until recently, a somewhat run-down residental neighborhood which the city cleared out to make way for a new high-end shopping and hotel district. It's clear from all the hotel construction in the area, and the Mercedez dealership going in across the street, that it's aimed at upscale visitors and locals, but as yet it's a long way from being completed. I wouldn't stay there again, despite loving the facility and the room, until the area has been built up a bit. Much better to stay somewhere around the train station in the Tien He district where there is lots of shopping, restaurants, etc.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 7, 2009

Stayed there due to business, I always travel to Guangzhou; having stayed in many "international" hotels.
I had a very bad impression with Ritz Calton:
local people smoking in non-smoking area...but hotel staff has never stop this happen actively.
most staffs were likely to serve "english lanugage" guests... always treating "non-english" guests with cruel attitude; this is an unbeliverable finding in an "international" hotel !
The only positive comment...buffet breakfast...among standard.
The hardware is good enough simply because they are very new, not a surprise.
Location...inconvenient, a developing area...surrounded by sites

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank goodmankl
Reviewed August 5, 2009

I am a big Ritz Carlton fan and this property does not disappoint. Although I was in Guangzhou on business for three weeks, with my wife, my company can not expense the Ritz Carlton properties. However, for one night my wife and I treated ourselves to the Ritz Carlton hospitality in Guangzhou. We are so glad we did!

Yes, it's true that the property is surrounded by new buildings being built but this is the new hot spot area in Guangzhou. Everywhere there is building in anticipation of the 2010 Asian Games being hosted in Guangzhou (it's much like Beijing in previous years). However, when you push the button next to the bed in your opulent suite and the curtains open to reveal the tallest TV tower (think space-needle) observatory in the world and you overlook the Pearl River below you know you are in heaven.

The Central Park property has always been my favorite, but this property does the Ritz Carlton name proud. The staff remembers and addresses you by name. Although the experience is a bit awkward compared to Central Park, which sometimes can be over the top, they do make you feel welcome and special here. There is no doubt you are in a Ritz Carlton property and this one is absolutely beautiful!

My highest recommendation!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2009

Was here for business and it was an excellent stay. The staffs were friendly and quick to serve, the food in the lobby cafe was reasonable, but watch out for the mosquitoes. Great new hotel with really nice big room. I paid less than $150USD corporate rate, what a fantastic deal. Stay here even if you have to pay a $100 more. Great experience.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank MVagusta
Reviewed May 6, 2009

Just returned from this hotel on 4/25/2009. Don't believe other reviewers too much regarding employee attitudes and/or accommodations. If one scrutinizes aything too closely, one is bound to find faults. I used to be that way. Trust me, I am a top shelf customer and can be extremely picky. But this place is the top of the top and delivers. I transferred from another hotel as a basket case (I won't go into it) and departed like a Hollywood movie star. They soft spokenly cater to your every whim and anticipate your needs like a 5-star + hotel is supposed to if you relax and give them a chance which is what I experienced: written directions to the cab driver for where I wanted to go in town, handling my plate for me on the buffet line, etc. There where times I walked around and didn't have to do or touch a thing for a serviceperson to understand what I needed and have it done. That's service. I smiled alot, relaxed and did alot of bowing and they seemd to hook me right up!

As far as I'm concerned, this hotel is a secret bargain at $195 US for the luxury. You wouldn't pay $195 for the Ritz in the US. For $195 US, I had a Pearl River view room, which you can view online, featuring floor-to-ceiling views of the river (spectacular at night!), extremely plush living/bedroom "suite" with private hallway, closet, master bathroom w/jacuzzi-style tub and flat-screen tv (CNN US & International), glass shower, remote control floor window shades, etc. Where else can you get that for $195? The hotel floor hallway carpets and doors are so thick you car hardly hear yourself. When you open the door to your "suite" and walk down your "hallway" revealing a panoramic view of the Pearl River all you feel is 10-star and a slice of heaven on Earth.

My tip for those complaining about the lack of neighboring concerns at the locations is to jump in a cab and head into town! At $3-5 US a cab ride, this is no difficult thing to do! I transferred from a hotel in a busier, crazier part of town (15 minutes away) and it was only 24CNY (~ $4 US) with traffic. At that rate, I would go shopping in the morning, come back, swim at the hotel, go out to get my hair done, come back, change clothes, and go out to the clubs for the evening again! Ask the hotel to write all the addresses you want to go to in English (for you) and Chinese (for the cab driver) in a notebook for you and be on your way! I would just hop in a cab and show the driver my little "black" notebook and all around town I went: movies, clubs, shopping, musuems, famous parks, Pearl River Cruise 2x... Why did I need the hotel to have everything developed around it? I didn't fly 10k miles to see another Barclays megastructure...

Did I say the food at the "Foods" restaurant was another exceptional bargain? I don't usually go in for the "hotel" priced meals thinking that's where they'll trap you since you're on their premises. At $28 US I initially though buffet breakfast would be a little pricey until I saw an unilimited 5-star quality italian expresso service, fresh fruit and vegetable juices, steak and lamb chops, dim sum, yangzhou fried rice cooked to order with your choice of fresh seafood picks, congee, fresh carved ham, and then the traditional bacon, eggs, and flapjacks. Needless to say I was hooked. Dinner was just as ridiculous with unlimited lobster tails, imported shucked Oysters, roast duck, more steak and lamb chops, tiramisu and on and on at $45 US. So, it's your choice in the new land of opportunity: you can spend $45 of unlimited eating on premises and take your plate to the rock garden with waterfalls, or you can jump in a cab and head into town for cheaper eats. All in all, how could anyone complain?

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo