I like to match the location of the client I am visiting to the comfort of the hotel I will be in while there. This involves 'specing' out the location to ensure amenities exist near the hotel, whose prices tend to be hotel standard = inflated.
The property is smashing interior wise, from the clean, spotless interior spaces, to the rooms whose size is awesome, comfortable, and quiet.
I have stayed in stellar properties before, and this one did not disappoint.
And now the rest of the story..
Having read other reviews from Tripadvisor, I had thought perhaps external amenities were finished in the area since the 2010 Asia Games are close.
They are not.
I did not have the Pearl River view. I had the desolation / construction lot one facing towards the North. The room is fantastic, but with that view, keeping the shades closed is a winner.
"It's a long way to Tipperary" Snoopy used to whistle. Well, it's also a long way to walk from the hotel to the nearest mall. The sidewalks are mostly broken for the 20 minute walk to the Grandview Mall, in which food, beverage, and a Starbucks can be found. Watch your step on that walk to avoid the spit on the sidewalk. It's a cultural thing. Around the hotel, like a nuclear blast zone, there is noootthhinnng. During that walk, remember you are in China, and do NOT cross the street if the green walk signal is on without ensuring the cards are truly stopped for you. Red lights here tend to be a suggestion, not a fact. Use the undeground walkways if they exist. They are unmarked but will be near the corners of the intersection.
While the hotel offerred to call me a taxi, from my lack of Mandarin to return me combined with an experience of some Chinese taxi's not using the meter, I decided to walk to and from the hotel to the mall. The humidity is near 90%. That combined with temps in the 90's turn your walk to ick quickly. Forget using the metro, as the streets are under construction to the nearest stop, and I could not verify the metro itself is even built yet.
Summary: While the hotel is a fantastic property, it's location must be noted. The construction sites nearby are nowhere near completion, nor is there any sort of hurry to do so, from appearances. This is as of September, 2009.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the new CBD Pearl River New City of Tianhe District, the 351-room Ritz-Carlton, Guangzhou is a luxury destination in the hub of Southern China. With 40 minutes drive from Baiyun International Airport and ten minutes from Guangzhou East Railway Station, hotel provides travel routes to various destinations in China, including direct trains to Hong Kong which take less than two hours. A series of new city landmarks such as Guangzhou Opera House and Guangdong Museum are at just steps away from the hotel. Distinctive services and facilities include 6 restaurants and lounges serving Cantonese and Western favorites, special cigars and wines. From intimate groups of ten to a conference for 800, meetings planners can choose from over 1,000 square meters / 11,000 square feet of exceptional function space available in The Ritz-Carlton Grand Ballroom, three multifunctional meeting rooms, two boardrooms and spacious pre-function areas. An extensive health club and The Ritz-Carlton Spa(R) rejuvenate body and mind, while The Ritz-Carlton Club(R) Level anticipates guests' needs with its dedicated personalized service. The Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Guangzhou features 91 luxury serviced apartments of one to four bedrooms in size. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Orbitz, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Cancelon, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Ritz-Carlton, Guangzhou reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ritz Carlton Hotel Guangzhou
- Ritz Guangzhou
- Ritz-Carlton Guangzhou
- Guangzhou Ritz Carlton Hotel