New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #1,606 of 3,048 Hotels in Guangzhou
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Never ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

Passengers of the cancelled outbound flight from Guangzhou were herded onto the hotel shuttle to the Good East Hotel at way past 2am, for standby until further notice from the airline. My first impression of the hotel premises was already bad but to my horror, at the checkin counter, I was told that it is on twin sharing basis. I didn't mind sharing with my other 2 travelling companions, but our request for an additional bed was adamantly turned down on the basis that there is no room with space for 3 beds. Thus it's either I room with a complete stranger or fork out 100yuan if I wanted my own room. Or standaround at the lobby? I don't think they would even send me back to the Airport! Isn't that outright daylight robbery at that unearthly hour and with no other transport available in that remote area? True enough, after I paid the 100yuan and went into the room, I found that the room can definitely house 1 (or even 2) other twin bed comfortably!

If I had the choice, I wouldn't even want to step into this run down hotel. I sincerely would not mind paying more if given the option to be in a more decent place. The carpets in the room are dirty and worn. The room door was old, rattly and it was pretty unsettling without a door chain. I didn't mind the bed being hard and but it sloped towards one side. I was thankful the bedsheets looked decently clean, and the airconditioning still worked, so I just kept to bed and didn't dare venture to explore other parts of the room. My room (which is probably reserved for paying customers) had 2 old sofas, and a small flat screen LCD TV which looked hilarious in the jaded surrounding.

The counter desk staff speak mainly Mandarin, with a only a couple being able to communicate in Cantonese, and none in English. So those who don't speak any Chinese will definitely be exasperated.

Meals were covered by the Airline but that doesn't mean we had to be treated poorly by the Hotel restaurant service staff. Food will only be served at tables with 10 people seated. You get reprimanded impolitely for not filling a table. Hygiene is definitely not in the agenda. The waitresses only give you a dirty look for requesting serving spoons. No extra spoons came, and will you eat food which has been dugged into by 9 strangers?

Don't even believe a third of what you read in the hotel marketing brochures or websites information on it being a 3star hotel, etc. I noticed though that there are a couple of blocks with the same Hotel Name along the road. So, unless the Airline had put us in the block with the worst rooms and service, I rest my case.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Just_my_views

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

Missed my connection to Singapore due to an inexplicable delay on my inbound flight on China Southern from Sydney. China Southern took three hours to arrange to take about a hundred of us to this hotel. This hotel is, to put it mildly, an abomination to any business traveler. The place reeked of various unknown stenches, the rooms were unbelievably dirty, the mattress on the bed might as well have been a piece of two inch foam stretched across a piece of plywood, and China Southern actually had the gall to book me in a shared room with some other random passenger! (to which I told them to go take a flying leap). Had it not been 10pm and I hadn't had to get up at 5am for my trip back to the airport, I would have left this hotel as fast as humanly possible. Spending the night in the airport terminal would have been preferable to staying at this nightmare hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
      Location
      Rooms
3 Thank AHeublein

Travelers are raving about these Guangzhou hotels

Hamburg, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

Airline canceled my flight due to bad weather. Then they let us like cattle to the slaughterhouse to this hotel.
Rooms were so dirty, that I did not want to take off my cloth. The carpet probably was vacuumed the last time about 5 years ago. Cotton buns and papertissue parts were in-front and under the bed.
The bathroom had one toilet paper role and there was only enough paper for one time using the same. Fortunately I always travel with one spare toilet-paper role in my luggage...
Food in the restaurant was, well - just go back to the airport and eat something there.

Really, staying at the airport and sleeping on a bench there, is better and cleaner. Also more comfortable, as the bed is very had and smelly.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business