“A Canadian perspective” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #817 of 3,257 Hotels in Guangzhou
Montreal, Canada
“A Canadian perspective”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I travelled to Guangzhou with my mom this past May to attend the Canton Fair. It was a last minute decision so in the end we didnt have much choice in terms of hotels. Having looked at the photos (misleading) of the IT World we decided to give it a go since it was close to the Fair and included breakfast.

Rooms:
Upon arrival we were very disappointed with our room to the point where we considered going somewhere else but it was non refundable so we had no choice but to stay. It was dark, smelly and claustrophobic. The mattresses on the bed were awful. I think I read in another review that you could feel the mattress springs. I can confirm that indeed you do. As for the shower, it didn't drain properly nor was there any pressure. We just never felt clean. Also at night you can literally hear people slam their room doors and hear them walking up and down the halls. While we were there, they were doing construction in the middle of the night (only one night) which in my view is unacceptable.

Hotel Staff
Nobody at this hotel speaks English so that was very frustrating. There was one person, the desk clerk, that spoke a little English and in all fairness she tried her best to help us out but it wasn't enough. Please be aware that this hotel will take a 1000RMB refundable safety deposit upon arrival. When you leave remember to get it back because if you don't mention it, they won't either. That is what happened to us.

Breakfast/Restaurant
We were happy that we had breakfast included but we were so disappointed at the lack of quality. The breakfast eating area itself was not clean and needed serious renovation. The breakfast buffet was just random things thrown together like pasta, dumplings, bacon, noodles etc. Although it sounds tasty none of it was trust me. That being said, what saved us was the omellette bar where the chef made you one on the spot with whatever you wanted in it. This sustained us for a few days but to our disappointment one morning we realised that the service had been taken away since the canton fair was over. We were staying a few days extra and still had breakfast included. When the staff realised our disappointment, they brought us an omellette and then charged us for it. We just sent it back. To me this was totally unacceptable. And on the last day of our breakfast, my mom saw a cockroach run near the fruit bowl. We just stopped eating and left.

Conclusion
I am not a picky by any means. I have been to many countries and stayed from the best hotels to the basic. This hotel was a big let down and if you ask me, we got ripped off but we are to blame as well since we booked last minute. I am sure if you book in advance you can get something a lot better. If you're stuck and you can afford it, I'd put in an extra 50-100 dollars per night and get something a lot better. In the end, do not stay at this hotel. When I think of it all I can think is 'gross and dirty'.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Thai first
herzele
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

we were invited by chinese company, big big room, with kitchen, big bathroom .... suite ???? but so dirty and old !!! after more then an hour of big discussion, they put us in a small, but clean :-) room. not friendly at all , and no english !

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank schermen
Miami Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

I arrived there on May 2 2011. They gave me a smoking room , so the cigarette smell was awful. I requested a changed, but they did not have more rooms available. In general the hotel is not that bad if you do not care about food and comfort . The hotel need total reface . The maintenance is not good , so you can see the deterioration all over the place. Only few people speak English like every where in Guangzhou. The hotel has a good location for the canton fair in the new complex. Price is cheap. You have to be careful when booking and ask rooms with windows. The breakfast buffet is included , so you can not spec for that price to have a 5 stars hotel buffet.

Room Tip: Ask fro rooms with window and non smoking.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank rgsanchez

Travelers are raving about these Guangzhou hotels

Markham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2010

I am staying this hotel for a trade show in the expo centre; my friend in China booked this hotel for me through his HR dept. to save me trouble.

I've read some not so good reviews on this forum before, but decided to take a chance. Well, it didn't pay off. It's a 2 star hotel disguising as a 3.5 star hotel.

They messed up my reservation; originally, I was going to stay here for 6 days, but they had only booked 1 night; so when I asked them, they said they can move me up to a better room tomorrow night for a fee. Considering all the hotel is booked up in this area, so I didn't have much choice.

Anyways, my suggestion to you is this, if you're a light sleeper and require a good bed for sleeping, stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank henkc
Guadalajara, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

Overall I can say that staying in this hotel was worthy. We choose the hotel because it was close to Canton Fair un Pazhou Complex. The rooms are good enough, the price good. Generally I can say it is good experience.

However, avoid Restaurant. The service is very poor. There are not capable to attend a crowdy hotel, while you have to stand there watching others to stop eating and leave their table for you. Even in less crowdy stays, the food is poor and the service is terrible bad. It took more than 30 minutes to get a dessert, finally they came with the wrong dessert and at the end they charge you a tip, that they don't deserve

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

We loved this hotel for business and would stay there again, In fact now we're in Shanghai and first looked to see if there were here so we can book or stay

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business