“Not too bad not to great” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pullman Guangzhou Baiyun Airport

Pullman Guangzhou Baiyun Airport
Ranked #16 of 3,385 Hotels in Guangzhou
“Not too bad not to great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

First night they over booked and instead of upgrading they downgraded us from King to 2x singles even though a king size bed was available. The only difference was the position to the lobby. The room was not cleaned correctly there was hair and dirt in the bath. Customer service was tiring and unprofessional.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Pullmangzbyairp, Andreas Quality&Attitude Manager at Pullman Guangzhou Baiyun Airport, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear Danielgray82

Thank you very much for your visit to our Pullman Baiyun Airport Hotel.

Please let me share your points which we need to improve to make sure that all our
Guests will have enjoyable stay. First of all, our Reception team will increase there effort
to make sure that all our guests will get the appropriate Room assignment.
Secondly our Housekeeping will enhance there steps for cleaning the Guest room
to avoid future incidents happen again. Please be assure that we always try our best to
provide great Pullman service for all our guests.
Our team would like to welcome you back soon to our Pullman Baiyun Airport Hotel.

Quality & Attitude Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

I was at the end of a long business trip and at the suggestion of a local colleague I stayed at the Pullman as a 5-star indulgence. The trip had been 16 days long of many meetings and new experiences, so I was ready to relax, and this was the right place to do it, even if for only 1 night before I flew out the next day.
While checking in the floor manager looked at me queerly, until I realised that being 5-star it was unusual for a patron to carry their own bags, and once booked in a bell hop was quickly delegated to see me to my room. Being from NZ we don't normally tip, but the exchange rate was very favourable and so I tipped the bell hop RMB20. He looked like I had given him a gold bar !. Next the room was large and airy, and a platter of fruit and snacks was arranged on the sideboard with a silk napkin, great!
The bed was VERY comfortable, and I enjoyed the whole experience. There were a number of Chinese artworks arrayed throught the hotel and went I walkabout to view and enjoy them. I was joined at a very large floor-to-ceiling painting by a staff member and we quietly discussed in perfect english, the scene depicted and its meaning. I think she appreciated the attention of a like minded soul who appreciated her culture.
The dining room was large and well patronised, with a large and varied menu. The staff were attentive and welcoming.
The next morning in typical kiwi fashion I packed my bags and made my way to the lobby to check out. I was approached by a senior manager there who profusely apologised. I said "What for, i have enjoyed my stay?". But he then said I should not have had to carry my own bags, and proceeded to arrange a bell hop to see to my bags and make sure I got to the upper lobby and driven (electric car) across to the airport without further delay.
It was a great chance to experience 5-star at Chinese prices, which I could not afford at home in NZ.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Falkenberg, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

Arrived in the morning in Guangzhou and with a early flight out from Guangzhou airport in the next morning this hotel was the right choice. Its near the airport and within walking distance. The suite I stayed in had a great atmosphere and had a really nice setting. Excellent bathroom. The only problem was the noise coming from some construction site around the area. Breakfast buffet was very nice. The evening buffet was ok but not fantastic.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Pullmangzbyairp, Andreas Quality & Attitude Manager at Pullman Guangzhou Baiyun Airport, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Dear Cenneth U.
Much appreciated for taking the time to give us your positive comments on hotel’s location and service. We all satisfied to hear that you had a great time and enjoy your stay with us. Our team always give there best to deliver great Pullman service.
Thank you very much for mentioning our Suites which are really nice and many guests choose these rooms. Breakfast is very important; therefore we monitor all guest requests to extend our variety on our buffet. We also extend our evening buffet variety to make our Guests visit more enjoyable.
All your suggestions are more then welcome and we all see you for your next arrival at our Pullman Hotel.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Having arrived at night from KL, I decided to stay at a hotel near the airport. It's within walking distance, & the hotel management has offered free pick up service. I was told that I have to pay cash as deposit because it's not possible to pay it using my credit card, but other than this minor annoyance the whole stay was pleasant.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

I would like to start off by sharing my own experiences in here, but before that I do want to reply to Philip N's previous review about Pullman hotel-Guangzhou as I have shared working experiences with him on this matter. I would like to point out that it is inaccurate and subjective, largely influenced by personal emotions. I am not here to defend anyone, but simply to state facts.

Under no circumstances did the hotel said "they were only obligated to provide 200 roses" for our company usages, we asked for this amount of roses and they were providing them for free. There is a difference between the two. The estimated amount was based on the change from 9 flowers to 4 flowers, hotel staffs involved were only surprised by the change, not "freaked out". Yes, the hotel had 500 roses back then, but that doesn't mean they had set aside the other 300 roses on purpose but because our company had only asked for 200 roses.

I also have doubts about the ranting about "over-charged prices of the roses". You have to understand that hotel bought the roses from contracted suppliers, which means prices are going to be different from wholesale prices. You cannot expect prices to be as cheap as if you are purchasing from a flower shop in China. When Philip and me stopped along the way to Pullman hotel, I went to a flower shop and asked if they can provide 150 roses and the prices as well. It was 1300 RMB, just 200 RMB less than what the hotel offered. Instead of accepting this offer, he declined, claiming there was no time left to wait. I then proceeded to ask if he would accept the price of 1500 RMB, which he agreed to without much hesitation. There is a conflict between what is claimed and what actually happened.

To my knowledge, the hotel did not act as if it was normal price, it was just because that was the first time flowers are sold to customers directly in this manner. I am sure that with better time scheduling of running errands, we would have been able to purchase flowers at a lower cost, instead of leaving this to the last minute. I also do not understand why this complaint is filed after he personally agreed to the pricing, the purchase was simply not forced. Therefore, I do not think that the argument "when people are cheap, it brings about a cheap experience" truly reflects this hotel's services in all due respect. I did not share the experiences of traveling to the swimming pool so I do not have the authority to comment on that issue.

For me personally, Pullman hotel did provide a helpful and comfortable stay for my business purposes. Rooms are clean, spacious, tidy and quiet, a consensus shared by customers of our company. More importantly, during the whole time period of my stay, hotel staff and managers alike were very willing to offer help, regarding to the priority of my customers' stay. Specifically, when some of our customers from Russia and Japan arrived, translators were immediately provided and thus communications were able to be established between our company and our customers. This was very helpful to our customers' experiences in our showroom at GaoMing, as they were able to arrive on time and have prior knowledge about the rundown & transportation arrangement.

Other than minor issues like pricey printing services and laundry services, services provided in this hotel are excellent; also, the attitude of staff members was satisfying and professional. Overall, I would recommend Pullman hotel to anyone planning to have business trips in Guangzhou and around.

Dear John_HK123

Thank you very much for choosing Pullman Baiyun Airport Hotel during your visit to Guangzhou and for sharing your review with the Trip Advisor community. As you mention some minor issues like pricey printing services and laundry service, please be assure that it is always in our best intension to listen careful to all our guests preferences for achieving the best possible Pullman Service.
Thank you also very much for your compliment about our excellent; services provided and the attitude of staff members was to your satisfaction and professional.
Your Hotel recommendation to anyone planning business trips in Guangzhou is very encouraging.
Our Hotel Team say thank you, and welcome you back soon for your next visit at our Pullman Baiyun Airport Hotel.
Los Angeles, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

The company book 20-40 plus rooms every year around September.

There are good moments but the moments where they are so cheap really stands out sometimes. I question why we have our guests stay here every year and deal with them.

For example, I had them put roses in our guests rooms and they said they will do it for free. This morning, they said they thought they would need 9 roses per room. We really only need about 4 roses per room as we changed our vase. I said I don't remember what we used last year but this year we only need 4 (as this vase is clearly smaller) and please do not try to put 9 roses in (as one girl was questioning how she could fit 9 into a very small container).

After the meeting, I was running around doing errands. One of my errands was to get roses and I ran out of time. I was in the wrong part of city for obtaining flowers on my last errand but my errands were very time specific and I didn't have time to stop or the option to change the errands around much. I called to see if they could get me more roses. I offered to replace the ones we use later in the day; I just needed 150 to go back with the driver to another part of the city for two people celebrating their 15th wedding anniversary. It was our guests anyways and the roses I would take were roses they put aside for us. They said no and that they were only obligated to provide 200 roses. They couldn't allow me to just replace the roses as they have a contract to get roses from only their supplier. I understand the second part. I question the first part because the girl I met with in the morning was freaked out how should they would get 9 roses per vase and we're only using 4.

So didn't that technically mean they had set aside more?

Even if not, I'm okay to pay.

Well...they charged me a lot more than I have been buying all around China and I have been buying about 4000 roses the last few weeks. I was buying another 3000 that night. I know what roses should cost me.

I would have been fine if they charged me 4 times more and okay if it was 8 times more than I expected. It was so much more than I expected.

When people are cheap, it brings about a cheap experience. Who wants a cheap experience?

What annoys me more is that they made it seem like it was normal price. Then minutes later when I am paying, they said it was one of the first time they charged for flowers. So if it was the first time, how is that normal price? They said they had to put my charge under a meeting or event fee because they have no other way and didn't know how to do this transaction.

Thanks for charging the normal expensive price.

I get they have to get roses from their contracted supplier but they had to charge me that price?

I worry about the impression they give off to our guests. The staff doesn't always have the best attitude either.

When I went to the swimming pool, this girl gave me attitude. It was thundering so she said I couldn't swim. But she said I can go see the pool. So I did. However, there was one guy next to the door like he was guarding it. I wasn't sure if I could go in. When I went back to ask the girl if I could go in or are they not accepting further guests, she said "Do you see people? If there is, you can do the same?" in a broken English version of that. I asked her how I could have been sure with a guy blocking me and after her emphasis moments earlier that I couldn't swim but can only look. Technically, I "saw" the pool behind the guy blocking me. My question is if I could go around him and "see" the pool.

I think the guy was a personal trainer for the gym next to the pool. Not sure if the guy was looking for business standing there or what.

So many times I feel they are about the money rather than the service. It is a business but do you want to feel that during your stay?

Convenient to airport? Yes.

Good service? Questionable and varying.

Value? Less with each day in my opinion. Especially at 1500 for 150 roses. Normal for US yes but much more than I have been paying in China. I'm not one to argue price but that annoyed me a lot.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Phillip N
Pullmangzbyairp, Andreas Quality & Attitude Manager at Pullman Guangzhou Baiyun Airport, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Mr. Phillip N.

Please let me appreciate your visit to our Pullman Hotel and your comments.
As you shown us your Loyalty for several times, this is very important that we increase the expected Pullman Service to deliver great Guest satisfaction.
For your Service Issues I already informed the relevant Departments to step up there efforts to guarantee improvements are made. For your incident about the Flower arrangement it is very important that we keep Over-communicating between Guest and Team and therefore we will increase the attention to assure that Guests expectations are in place. Our Touch Spa will introduce there courtesy training to make Guest service more Alive and enjoyable for all our guests.
It will be our pleasure to welcome you back soon to our Pullman Hotel to show you the commitment of our team for great Guest Service.

Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

I have been in this hotel over the last 5 years on several occasions, here is my report from last night stay:

Check in: long checkin times, yesterday it took them 15min to get me up to my room.

Room: I woke up in a 'banana boat bed' not comfortable at all; they have used low end mattresses for this hotel and because this is a high traffic hotel these mattresses 'wear' easily after a short period of time. I rate the bed a 2* and did not had a goodnight sleep because of the mattress.

Bathroom: leaking shower; they have this problem in other rooms, I experience a soaking wet bathroom floor after a shower and this is not the first time, I had this during other stays in different rooms as well.

AC: It's common practice for Chinese hotels to 'limit' the AC settings to save energy, the AC wasn't cold and I wasn't able to get my room temperature below 25C.

Noise: when I arrived at my room housekeeping was screaming to each other from 1 side of the walkway to the other. This morning house keeping started to clean up the room next to me at 7AM and did this with more noise. I was in #1540 and had noise from room above me in the evening and in the morning, rooms and doors are not 'sound proof' so bring ear plugs.

F&B: I tried to get information on the pricing of the diner buffet, spoke over the phone with 2 people that didn't understand my question and when I asked for the assistant manager the lady refused to connect me, she insisted that I discussed my problem with her, I insisted in speaking to the AM and after 25min he returned my call and advised me pricing. As described in previous reviews: they need to hire staff that speaks & understand English.

Sauna: needs maintenance/overhaul, has been been worn out and not looked after.

Pricing: I paid about Euro 100,00 excl. breakfast. That's a high price to pay in China and Pullman takes advantage of their position at the airport. Dinner buffet is +300RMB and although they offer a great selection this price is absurd compare to what you pay at other branded 5* hotels in China. Again: they take advantage of their unique position at the airport.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Pullmangzbyairp, Andreas Quality & Attitude Manager at Pullman Guangzhou Baiyun Airport, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Gotcha4444

Thank you very much for you comments and the explanation of your incidents happen during your stay.
Please let me apologize for all your point’s and assure you that it is very important to the whole Hotel team that we improve our Pullman Guest service.
-For your points with Check in and check out and better English language ,the team will attend a special Training to make this procedure more effective and efficient for our guests and in the same time we introduce our English Dialog Program to our Front Team.
-As you point out about the poor Bed standard, our Team will pay more attention to the consistency in following the room Standards.
-To your incident with the Bathroom door and AC, the Engineering team will increase the daily round check for all Bathrooms and AC Installation.
-The incident about the noise in the morning is disturbing and will have a new courtesy training in place which will contacted for all involved team member.
- For our Sauna we have already adjust and double check the Maintenance Company to guarantee orderly operation for our Guests.
-Our Kitchen is following the seasonal Products from the Market and pay attention to our guest’s preferences to have a great variety of different dishes in all our Restaurants.
As you mention in your comment you are a Loyal Guest for 5 years ,even before it was Pullman we all appreciate your Loyalty and friendship to our Hotel.
Please let me welcome you in person for your next visit and feel free to contact me for any
help for you and your Friends.