“"Very Good" ... for China. Highlight was feeding the happy Giraffes - hilarious!”
Review of Guangzhou Zoo

Guangzhou Zoo
Ranked #39 of 706 things to do in Guangzhou
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This the largest zoo in South China with over 2,000 animals including the giant panda.
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I love animals, am an avid photographer of animals and I had heard the Guangzhou Zoo was probably one of the best in China, as far as a best zoo in China can go. Although it's a few years since visiting, Shanghai Zoo was pretty grim for the most part, and Beijing (apart from the Panda exhibit rustled up for the Olympics) was quite dreadful, too. I decided to go see Guangzhou Zoo, feeling I'd probably walk out saddened and sorry I had been - but I did not. I left happy enough with my day some five hours later.

There are some pretty grim enclosures, granted, but they were in the minority. The poor lions for one. No enrichment, tile / concrete floors, tiny prison-like cages. Why? I just don't get it .... yet the raccoons and red pandas had huge grassy enclosure in comparison - and good for them! A couple of other poor species had grim, lifeless, uninspiring enclosures but for the most part, many of the enclosures were okay. The animals all certainly looked healthy (unlike some of the other zoos I have visited in China) and they have a fantastic diversity of animals. New enclosures have been constructed, with more new enclosures underway, so they are perhaps evolving into the 21st Century of animal exhibiting and care.

I also wanted to to get a panda fix, but they remained locked inside their glassed-in enclosure so were difficult to see, let alone photograph.

Apart from some of the uninspiring enclosures, the locals need a lot of education about viewing animals and to develop some respect. They constantly throw food at the animals or yell and carry on or act like an ape to get a creature's attention despite signs indicating otherwise. That, more than anything nearly drove me bananas. But it is simple ignorance for the most part (like throwing marshmallow to the tigers .... because everyone loves marshmallows, right?!).

Trying to purchase my entry ticket was challenging as they had no ticket instructions in English and the staff were rather grim. The F&B and retail outlets are very average. But the highlight would have to be hand feeding the giraffes. Y10 for a bunch of leaves, I bought several!! I would go back just to do this again. Don't need to spent $K1 staying at Giraffe Manor in Kenya - hah!

3  Thank HappyTravelsQld

Reviewed October 20, 2013

I visited the Zoo last week and walked away fairly depressed. While there were a few decent sized enclosures (Elephant and Tiger)

I was nothing short of disgusted at the terrible enclosures many of the large cats were enclosed. They were held in tiny concrete enclosures with no natural environment. Just concrete and wire cages. Not even a glimpse of their natural environment.

A very upsetting experience. I also witnessed people throwing food at the bears and zoo keepers doing nothing to stop it.

For the large amount of visitors this zoo experiences, the welfare of the animals well below acceptable standards.

I would not recommend visiting if you care about the wellbeing of animals.

3  Thank Paul H
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We visited during China National Holiday and the crowds were enormous. I thought the zoo had a good variety of animals and all seemed to be easy to view. It was not overly smelly as some zoos can be and I thought most of the displays were generally well done. My granddaughter enjoyed it. They also have some amusement rides that are showing their age but still fun. They had a display of rocks that I originally thought as a little strange but after seeing the uniqueness, I completely enjoyed seeing them.

2  Thank Nuuanu
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I visited the zoo last week and was pleasantly surprised how well looked after the animals were and in good surroundings.
There was lots of animals too of the same species, we were able to purchase at 15 RMb bananas for the elephants, leaves for the giraffes. There are lots of gift shops with soft toys after each area which might prove challenging if you have young children. there are plenty of options for food and while more expensive than usual it was OK. You are not allowed to bring in your won food and your bags are checked at the gate. The fee of 250 RMB may sound expensive but we had 6 hours there and it was great. make sure you do the safari train trio which is free is goes along a road where you can see more rhino's, hippo's, elephants, tigers, impala and many more animals and birds in a more natural environment. there is also an animal nursery where they care for young animals. We were lucky enough to be there on closing and my friends son who is five was bale to hold an orangutan, it was a very special moment and the attendant was fantastic with this animal. One of my favourites was seeing the pandas and they are so cute!

2  Thank dottygirl
Reviewed September 3, 2013

i was shocked how small the cages and open spaces are for most of the animals also the way through the zoo is very confusing throughout there is not really a system in the way as for the stroller it is ok could be better, as everywhere you should def avoid weekends it over crowded even if it is a huge space keep in mind the basic price is 20rmb per person but they also have additional fees like for the ocean world pet zoo etc

1  Thank harleystefflson