“Great shopping but be careful”

Beijing Road Shopping District
Book In Advance
More Info
$106.80*
and up
Private Day Tour of Historical Guangzhou...
Ranked #4 of 187 Shopping in Guangzhou
Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is certainly shoppers heaven with hundreds of shops selling just about everything you could want. It is easily accessible from the metro and the prices seemed ok to me.

I was annoyed by the number of street hawkers selling cheap watches and hand bags but I guess that is normal for this kind of place where there ate thousands of shoppers with cash.

I fell victim to a scam I hadn't seen before. I have lived in Asia for along time and I thought I had seen them all. This one involves two beautiful young women approaching you and asking for money. They only have enough English for their story and they have practiced it well. Originally they were hungry but when I offered to buy them a meal in a nearby MacDonalds the story shifted .. they had no where to sleep tonight and they just arrived from the countryside. I could see I being scammed as we discussed the story but when the younger one started crying I gave them 100 RMB and walked away. I was a perfect victim being a 67 year old Australian alone with no one to speak for me so be wary guys.. I walked another 100 meters and two more approached me but I was ready this time. It looks like some girls have worked this on this scam and they have their targets.

5  Thank saigon_peter
Write a ReviewReviews (1,139)
All reviews
in 84 reviews
"watches"
in 42 reviews

Reviewed April 11, 2013

This is a place you must visit when in Guangzhou. It has a lot of history here and there are many restaurants and shops for you to visit. One thing that is also prevalent is people asking you if you want to buy a copy watch or hand bag. If you look foreign you will be approached many times with the statement "Hello, watchie" or "Hello handbag". They will then try to show you some pictures of the items they are trying to sell you. I am guessing if you are interested you will follow them to a hidden shop to see the products in person.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We love this street! You can shop with reasonable price & dine with their wide range of delicacy or just for a walk.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

well what can I say, I was in Guangzhou this year .At the time of the Chinese New Years..
WoW..what an experience,I stayed at the Fu Ho Hotel within walking of the Pedestrian Street.
There much of been 100,000 people in the area that week....But what a great time I had mixing
with the locals and other people on Holiday...My Fiancee from Hohhot met me in Guangzhou
and what a wonderful 2 weeks we spent.Traveling the city with all their parks and places for this
American to site see...Just so u know my Fiancee is now my wife..We couldn't be happier..
And I owe it all to a wonderful time in Guangzhou... Thank you Guangzhou for the memories..

See more reviews
Reviewed March 28, 2013

A shoppers paradise when it comes to Guangzhou. Been all over China but such places are to be found only in certain areas like Shenzhen, Guangzhou and Shanghai. In Guangzhou, this is called Beijing Road (Beijing Lu). Its actually a single street. Approximately a km long. Traffic is stopped most of the day and its a pedestrian street. Located in the city center it is very easy to locate. Easy access by Metro, Taxi or Bus. Lined up on both sides of the streets and through the centers you will find everything from pin to piano. Garments and accessories from cheap unbranded stuff to branded departmental stores. Jewelry, make up, children clothes, shoes, men's clothing, electronics, watches, toys, bags - name it and its almost there. Lots of touts to beware of though offering fake branded goods. You can also buy fake branded goods here in some small shops. Very easy to locate. Bargain hard. Mostly 50% but can go as much as 75% as well. Belts, wallets, pens for men come cheap - do not pay over 50 RMB for anything. Fake bags, purses, cosmetics - all available for a very reasonable price.

After a long day of shopping you can spend time in Starbucks or Mc Donalds or choose from a range of over 100 restaurants and eating joints. Best time to go is in the evening from 5pm onwards. It closes around 10pm and you are gonna be there till then, believe me, so wear comfortable clothing and extra comfortable footwear to be able to keep walking.

Enjoy shopping and ensure to take off price tags off everything before you decide to give gifts back home :)

6  Thank Kamal_Narang