“Dishonest Checkout Payment”

Ranked #168 of 3,447 Hotels in Guangzhou
Orange, California
“Dishonest Checkout Payment”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

The title is referring to "Dynamic Currency conversion" for credit card processing. The hotel can process your card by converting the currency rate to your home country currency first, usually at a much unfavorable rate to the card holder. This is legal, but it's pretty much a scam. I paid about more than 10% higher than if I paid the transaction in local currency. When I asked the hotel clerk not to use this option, she just played ignorance, saying that US card holders must pay in US Currency. She said I could pay cash if I wanted. Since I was on my way to Hong Kong, I didn't have time to deal with this, nor had time withdraw 5,000RMB nearby. I just paid it. I pretty much paid an extra night of stay.

The hotel itself has adequate service with excellent location -- considering it's closed to a subway station and plenty of restaurants and shopping destinations within walking distance. The room is quite spacious. Breakfast comes with the room; choices are very limited and most items are mediocre Chinese food. While Internet is free, it has the great "firewall" of China where I can't access things like facebook. Other 4/5 stars hotels that I stayed at had open Internet.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank chinaadopted

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Blocked 2 rooms for the canton fair in the main hotel out of sheer familiarity since this was my 4th time. The front desk allotted a nightmare of a room in a building right at the back called the fortune apartment, it was everything a 'room' should not be. Since it was 1am I did not protest.
The next day I took up the issue with the front desk and they refused to move me to the main tower unless I pay RMB 350 more than what is mentioned in my hotel voucher, absolute cheats, they finally settled for RMB 200 per day per room. The overall atmosphere is 'take t or leave it'. The breakfast is very basic and manageable but not for too many days, everything drips with oil/fat. I will never come back nor will I recommend to anyone. There seems to be no improvement or efforts towards it. Though this was my 4th time here, it would surely be my last. The Royal Mediterranean is a far better option just across the road.

Room Tip: What tip can one give when a official hotel voucher is not accepted and more money is demanded for t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Guangzhou hotels

VA
Reviewed April 6, 2012

This stay was for a classmate reunion. I flew all way from USA for this reunion and had to stay at this hotel (Guangwu Hotel). Check in was relatively quick at 11:00 pm. The internet was free. Each of the elevators have separate buttons to push. You can test your intelligence every time when you come down to the lobby floor. The room is just smoking although it was a nonsmoking room, I guess. The breakfast was so so for Chinese foods, let alone the western foods. The worst part of my experience is the check out experience. It was not in any order (multiple lines). No pre-checkout bill was provided and all checkout procedure was done manually (i.e., we are not in computer yet!!!). The room was not quiet at all. You can hear the constant noise from Tianhe Road because of its busy traffic. The only thing that the hotel is attractive is that it is very close to a subway station, which is less than one hour from the airport. But it will not be for me next time. I would rather choose a western-chain hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank KMXlean
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed August 8, 2011

This is my third time in this hotel.. Last time the construction had made the whole place a mess, but once inside the place was perfect.. This time though the new lobby has been completed.. The rooms & toilets are spacious/clean/luxurious as usual (which is hat made me come back). The location is a great advantage.
The rest of the place stinks.. The breakfast is like street food.. Absolutely unfit for consumption.. This place needs to be shut down and reopened after all the renovation is completed with some professional management.. The reception is manned by young girls who have no clue on the check in procedures & waste a lot of time consulting with their superiors.. Rooms service has no knowledge of English at all..
I am sure there are much better options in & around the central district of Guangzhou

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Manila
Reviewed November 11, 2007

My wife and I stayed in this hotel on a recent visit to China. I wouldn't class the facilities as good enough for a B&B, breakfast was excluded by the way. The room was very old and the bed mattress was rock hard, probably ok if you have severe back problems, if not you will end up with some.

The toilet was in the shower!! Our room (a suite) seems to have been divided from another guest room post construction and we could hear every word our neighbours uttered.The restaurants were overpriced in my opinion.

On the positive side, the staff like most of the Chinese we encountered were eager to help and made a good stab at English.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank PesoMillionaire
South America
Reviewed October 17, 2006

Regular prices for a room is about RMB 260, I was charged RMB 880 for a double standard room, and no breakfast, during Canton Fair Season.
The staff was friendy during checking. The Hotel has 2 blocks, the main block is old. My room was in the old building. My room was small, I think all rooms must be redecorated. The beds are, just enought for 1 person and not comfortable. There is a pocket size bathroom, like the bathroom of the stateroom in a ship. There is no separated area for the shower.
I just returned from a 5 stars Hotel in Dongguan that charged me just RMB 80 more, and included a breakfast buffet. Definetely there are better choice during Canton Fair season. This hotel just worth RMB 260.

Stayed October 2006