“Hotel Review: Doubletree by Hilton Guangzhou”

DoubleTree by Hilton Guangzhou
Ranked #19 of 3,562 Hotels in Guangzhou
Reviewed April 9, 2014

The hotel just opened for less than a month, I was so excited to go this new hotel before even I booked the hotel. I love their free cookies hand out in the check in counter.

Well, I expected so much from this hotel, as I saw many beautiful photos on their hotel web site. But, all of the photos are generated by computer. When I entered the hotel, I was a bit shocked to see the layout and design in the lobby, which is completely different from what I saw on the web. Now that they have changed the hotel photos in their web site.

When I was checking in, the general manager came out to greet me. We chatted for few minutes, and then the key cards were given to me. But they forgot the cookies!!! So I asked for it, and they gave it to me eventually. I was also informed that the executive lounge was closed! Damn it!

I originally booked a deluxe room and got upgrade to suite due to my HHonors gold member status and my parents’ celebration. You will later see what they have done to the hotel room.

They changed the bed sheet colour in red, a bottle of red wine and some chocolates. The suite is big enough for 3 people. It also comes with a Nespresso machine and few capsules.

To view the photos and more about this hotel review, please go to my website: www.ThePointsAddiction.com

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Chris R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Guangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Hi there, and thanks again for choosing to stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Guangzhou. We are again happy to receive your comments and thank you for the positive remarks, we all remember your stay well as the team made special effort to create something special for your parents anniversary, so we truly hope they enjoyed and appreciated it. I have shared your comments with our team, and we will continue to strive to improve our service and facilities. Thank you again, and look forward to welcoming you back again soon for another warm chocolate chip cookie and stay with us. FYI - The lounge is now fully open for breakfast, snacks & cockatils!
Please contact me anytime should I be of further assistance: Chris.roberts@hilton.com Ph; +8618565028300

Reviewed April 1, 2014

Perfect location for travellers. Halal food places within 15min walking distance. Hotel staff were excellent and understood our requirements. English spoken. Would only stay there again. TV in bathroom a plus.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Mohamed P
Chris R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Guangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2014

Dear Mohamed,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Guangzhou.

We are all happy to receive your comments and thank you for the positive remarks. We will share your comments with our team, and strive to continue improving our service and facilities.

In fact we are currently working on some new menus for some Halal food in the hotel too, but you are correct, many options also just a short walk from the hotel.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

I stayed her for 3 nights a few months back - I actually quite enjoyed it, but, a number of decidedly odd things happened that could, be changed to enhance further experiences. Firstly, as we were exiting the airport, the wife was on the phone to the shuttle bus driver - we were literally walking thru the terminal as she pleaded with him to wait a minute - but he utterly refused to be budged from the sanctity of his time table, and we were rewarded with an expensive taxi ride in lieu. On the second night with the wife crashed out, I went to the bar for a couple of nightcaps - the waiter seemed not to believe me when I told them to charge it to the room, which was in my (Chinese) wife's names - the concept of interracial marriages seemed alien to him, and this left a bad taste - he compounded the insult by fishing out a spirit measure out of a filthy wash tray and tried to use it without rinsing it - it was rank and doubtless crawling with bacteria.

My wife had two scary experiences - once when an ungrounded parasol came crashing down within inches of crushing her skull. If this happened in a western country, the staff would offer profuse apologies and Brandy / valium whatever. However, illustrative of the Chinese attitude and the obvious lack of training, the staff did what they would do when conformed with any kind of actionable scenario and pretended like it never happened. She, with typical stoicism decided to ignore it - as she did later that night when her shellfish from the buffet turned out to contain, not fresh shellfish flesh, but rather foul odorous black sludge - still, at least they offered her a fruit basket for this particular attempt on her life. The rooms were very nice but, unbelievably, lacked individual AC control - if, like me, you like it cooler than the average person - tough luck. Also, the AC, poor as it was, was yet poorer as it was malfunctioning- several calls to the front desk yielded exactly the results I knew they would - untrained personnel pretending to fix it, assuring us it would all be ok now, then running away as we slowly confirm they had affected no change whatsoever

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gregmcd101
Chris R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Guangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Dear Greg,

Warm greetings from Guangzhou, and first of all, thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Guangzhou. I have read your comments several times now and already shared with our team and even discussed in a meeting this morning.

I am honestly sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during this stay. As you said, some of the experiences you had are 'strange' and I even struggle to believe that these can happen in our hotel. Honestly, I would not consider these strange, I would not be happy should they happen to me. Clearly we have some inconsistencies with our service based on your comments, and I suspect a few misunderstandings mixed in between. I am personally following up with those involved.

Thanks for your comments, these will help us to improve our service & facilities for the future.

Thank you again, and I hope to welcome you back soon when we can show you the true meaning of our Doubletree by Hilton service.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

While I was happy with the overall experience, I think some issues need to be addressed to make it a more pleasant experience for the visitors. The hotel ambiance is great although breakfast service needs to be better. Food was good but we had to repeatedly call the waiters to attain their services. The breakfast has a lot of options although set up in an unorganized manner. The room and its view was great but there was a weird smell on the bed sheets. Even after having them changed the problem persisted. The bathroom was great. The staff at the lobby were very helpful with special mention to Marco and Josephine (if i remember their names correctly). Location was fantastic for me since the office i went to was across the road. However, taxi drivers do have a tough time locating the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Mifta H
Chris R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Guangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Dear Mifta,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Guangzhou.

Thanks for your comments, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed the stay with us, and for the positive remarks. I am sorry that the breakfast service missed the mark for you, I will share this wiyth the team and see how we can improve.

As for the Taxi issues, we have some taxi cards that clearly show the hotel location, and we are on the main East-West road through the city, so is normally very easy to find us. All taxi drivers know the corner of Dongfeng road & Xiaobei Road, so perhaps next time just let them know that address.

I will share all your comments with our team, and strive to continue improving our service and facilities. Thank you again, and look forward to welcoming you back again soon for another warm chocolate chip cookie and stay with us.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

Warm cookie when I arrive to the hotel was the first thing that surprise me, but when I reach to my room, was a really pleacent surprise!. Breakfast attention good, with a lot of options. The fitness center is really good equiped, good treadmill, is big, and spacefull.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Dear Faviola,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Guangzhou.

We are happy to receive your comments and thank you for the positive remarks, especially about the breakfast service.

I will share your comments with our team, and strive to continue improving our service and facilities. Thank you again, and look forward to welcoming you back again soon for another warm chocolate chip cookie and stay with us.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

I booked through agency, the price is not that high. environment is fantastic there, only one problem that the sign of the hotel is too small. no taxi driver knows where is the double tree hilton, and the logo is in english that many Chinese cannot find this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Jian,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Guangzhou.

We are happy to receive your comments and thank you for the positive remarks. We will share your comments with our team, and strive to continue improving our service and facilities.

Sorry to hear you had difficulties with the taxi. Perhaps I can suggest to tell them the address on the corner of Dongfeng road & Xiaobei Road, everyone knows this corner.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

This hotel makes me disappointed. Summaries mainly listed as following. 1. Slow check-in and check-out procedure. This may caused by unskillful employees at front desk. 2. Lift doors are closed too quickly. We were still trying to locate which lift arriving, the door has been closed and left thus we had to press the button for the next one. 3. Too simple choices for breakfast and lunch buffet, and the food are not as delicious as expected. Btw I’m not the first time living Hilton. 4. I called for another pillar and they sent it to another room. How messy of the information management. 5. I was in a phone discussion in the small conference room (4th floor), however simultaneously one employee complaining her workload to another just next to me when she is sorting out the stuffs on the desk. I seriously doubt if they are trained before on-board. 6. Bathtub has never been cleaned nor mopped. There was a dirty layer attaching on the surface of bathtub.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Dear Katie,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Guangzhou.

I am very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during this stay, looks like you experienced serveral issues during your stay, something that we are certainly not proud of. Thank you for sharing these points and I have shared with the team and will help us to improve our service & facilities for the future.

I would be happy to chat further about your experience should you wish to contact me.

Thank you again, and I hope to welcome you back soon when we can show you the true meaning of our Doubletree by Hilton 'qualified' service.