“Great location, great hotel...simply great!”

Guangdong Victory Hotel
Ranked #33 of 3,523 Hotels in Guangzhou
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We stayed at this hotel in 2005 and were treated so wonderfully that we made a point of staying there again this time. Your staff are exceptional and the breakfast was delightful. Nothing was too much trouble and I would recommend this hotel, and its location on Shamian Island, to anyone visiting Guangzhou.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Vanda R

Reviewed March 29, 2014

We stayed here for three nights during Chinese New Year. the hotel is lovely. We paid a little more to stayed on the wing with a big balcony, although only used it once but still like it. Room is clean and modern, with free wifi, breakfast is a little boring. There is a coffee shop just downstairs, and a bakery in the other wing.
Location of the hotel is fantastic, it's in an attraction and also easily access to everywhere. But it got very crowded during Chinese holidays though.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank curiouskitty
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We enjoyed out stay at the Guangdong Victory Hotel, even if things didn't run totally smoothly. We had a standard room in the West (old) wing.

The good - easy check in with friendly, helpful staff, the (double) bed was very comfortable, the sheets and towels were very good quality, great walk in shower. On check out, the staff were very helpful, and Rebecca helped us book our bus out of town, then gave us directions on how to find the bus stop.

The 'not so good' - the room had a strong smell of air freshener, which I suspect was to cover cigarette smoke (non-smoking room, but this IS China!), the traffic outside was very noisy if the window was left open, and the (included in the room price) breakfast was a shambles. We went down at 9.15, and there was almost nothing left. The staff seemed very young and unsure about how to manage a full dining room, and people trying to find somewhere to sit, then something to eat.

We loved Shamian, and would stay at the Victory Guangdong again, as overall it was good value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the busy road that runs along the 'city-facing' side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cazali
Reviewed March 4, 2014

There are times when I am doing something which is so good that I am happy that I am not doing anything else in the world at that moment. I had that feeling when I recently stayed at the Guangdong Victory Hotel in Guangzhou.

Based on reviews on Trip Advisor and Booking.com, I chose to pay a little more for a room in the East Wing. This is a misnomer, as the East and West Wings are not "wings" but separate buildings which are not adjoining. I was very pleased with this choice. The room was roomy and comfortable. The bathroom accessories were adequate. The hot water was hot. The staff spoke adequate to excellent English (depending on who you spoke with), and they were efficient and friendly.

I enjoyed breakfast very much. It was appropriate for a four star hotel. Appetizing and varied and adequate. I also had dinner in the Chinese restaurant on the second floor of the West Wing which was so good that I returned the next night.

The location of Guangdong Victory Hotel on Shamian Island is superb, with the serenity and beauty of the island, its parks and architecture. It should also be noted that the island can be reached easily by metro, and it is also close to a pier from which Pearl River Tours can be taken.

While not currently in my plans, if I return to Guangzhou I will definitely return to the Guangdong Victory Hotel.

Room Tip: Take a room in the East Wing
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Hanan B
Reviewed March 3, 2014

For the price (we paid £38 per night), this was a great hotel. Being on Shamian Island is a complete oasis in such a huge frantic city. We were (I think) in the West Wing - which has not been renovated, but is absolutely fine. The room was large and very clean and tidy. Try and find out if you're booked in the East or West wing as they are actually different buildings, a couple of hundred metres apart. Didn't try the hotel breakfast, but did frequent the very inexpensive bakery on the ground floor which has a range of pastries, coffee and tea. We found all the staff to be great - all spoke enough English to get by. Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TWP64
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I had a great time here. My room - non smoking business in East Wing - was very comfortable and modern. Great bed, plenty of hot water, huge TV, lots of amenities in the bathroom (including a comb and scales, which I've not come across before!). The only slight issue I had was with the a/c - I couldn't turn it up at all, so I was always a bit chilly in the room (and it was chilly in Guangzhou while I was there as well). My room was also quiet so I had a good night's sleep very night. I also really liked the location on Shamian Island - it's a quick walk to Hangzhou metro station and to the pedestrian street with plenty of shops and great Cantonese food. Don't hesitate to stay here.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We live in Hong Kong and were not able to take a long holiday but thought we needed a short break.

We did some research and found out about Shamian Island in Guangzhou. The history is fascinating and goes back to the Opium Wars. Guangzhou is only two hours by train from Hong Kong so is ideal for a trip as we only had Christmas Day and Boxing Day off from work.

We didn't want to stay at the glitzy curtain wall high rise hotels but wanted to soak in the atmosphere in a colonial hotel and the Guangdong Victory Hotel sounded perfect. It has a long history going back to 1850 and the site has been used as the HSBC Bank and the Victoria Hotel.

We left Hong Kong in the afternoon of Christmas Eve and arrived in Guangzhou East Station early evening. The metro train service is extensive and efficient with signage and instructions in English and we took the yellow line to HuangSha Station. It was an easy 15 minute walk from the station over the bridge to Shamian Island and the hotel.

We had chosen the West Wing of the hotel which is built in neo classical style. We had booked two nights in the Executive Room which had been recommended by the hotel when we had made enquiries. It was very reasonably priced including breakfast and all taxes. Checking in was easy and the staff spoke English. We were very pleased with the room which was far better than I had expected. It was large with a Queen sized bed,a luxurious bathroom and French windows opening onto a big balcony. We felt like we were in Paris rather than China. I found out that the rooms had been refurbished in 2010.

That night we walked out and found an excellent Chinese restaurant closeby. There was a lot of Christmas atmosphere in the streets with people dressed up and shouting Merry Christmas. I thought the room maybe noisy as it faced onto the road but it was quiet and we slept very well.

In the morning we had the buffet breakfast in the atrium. It was good with a lot of variety of dishes. We then spent the whole day walking around Shamian Island and looking at all the colonial buildings which had been used as banks, trading companies and embassies by many countries. Shamian Island had originally been granted to England and France as a concession during the opium wars, later many other countries set up, including Japan, India, USA and Thailand. We were impressed that the buildings had been preserved with plaques giving the history of the buildings. Even Starbucks had made a big effort and taken over a colonial building which had been updated unobstrusively and fitted in with the colonial location. In Hong Kong there is very little left of the colonial heritage.

On Boxing Day we took the metro from Huangsha station to the Chen's Academy. This was also well worth a visit and dates back to the last dynasty and houses many interesting exhibits. The Academy is on the way back to Guanzhou East Station so is a good stopping point.

We enjoyed our stay at the Victory Hotel. It is very comfortable, good service and convenient for seeing Shamian Island and nearby places of interest. We are planning to go back.

Room Tip: West Wing Executive Room is highly recommended.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family