“Excellent for the price and its location.”

Grand Palace Hotel Guangzhou
Ranked #227 of 3,396 Hotels in Guangzhou
Hong Kong, China
“Excellent for the price and its location.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

Perfect executive hotel, price is cheap. There are a few inadequacies though: no foreign TV channel, bath (shower) prone to flooding the bathroom floor. I have stayed here a few times and the bath (shower) problem in most rooms is due to the installation design flaw.

The hotel is well situated within walking distance to Guandzhou East train station as well as Ikea and also a shopping mall with restaurants and Starbucks.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Manila
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

We checked in to this hotel after a very long night and we couldn't wait to rest already. But when I saw the room, the first thing I noticed was the very stained carpet, with blood stains and who knows what else is there.. The air was dank, i am allergic to dust and 1 whiff of the room says it's dirty. So i asked the reception to show me the other room as option but she grudgingly told me that the rooms are just the same.. Anyway i insisted and sure enough all the other rooms are just the same junk. For the 3rd room I saw, since we already made our payment very early on, we had no choice but to get it. However, the toilet seat has Urine stains on them that i guess cannot be removed! The drainage is not working properly so when i took a shower in their tub, it was flooding in the tub! But the worst was i barely seated on the bed but i already was itching. My partner was also itching on the bed and we then realized that there are BED BUGS there too!!! To cut it short, we were forced to EVACUATE our room at 2 am at night to look for another hotel to stay in, never mind that it forfeits 2 of our nights in that hotel! They can take our money, but I won't let them ruin my trip!! DO NOT BE FOOLED!!! It is really bad! I didn't listen to the bad comments here, i thought they were just exaggerating, but it's true. The rooms are dark..it's really a very old hotel. IT DOESNT DESERVE A 3 STAR MUCH LESS A 4 STAR!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Castelnuovo Berardenga, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

Let's start from the ugliest part: after checking in, the bellboy disappeared for some minutes with my suitcases, digged into the trolley bag (where he had seen I had put my belongings) and stole all my cash money and a brand new smartphone. After reporting it immediately to the staff - nobody in the hotel immediately helped - we called the police and viewed the surveillance camera videos together and it turned out that the bellboy hid for 50 seconds in a "dark area" and took advantage from the well known favour of the field. Obviously, the cameras didn't show the bellboy digging into my baggage, so the police was forced to say there was no proof and let it go.
From that moment on, every attempt to get in touch with the top management failed and I just continuously got a basic answer from a generic sales manager: "Sorry,there is no proof, we cannot do anything and there is no money back", practically covering the whole story up.
For the records, I asked for 500 Euros compensation which is half the value of my smartphone and the 120 Euros cash I had in my wallet...
This already gives you a good opportunity to think over your possible decision whether to choose this hotel or not (better NOT).

Given this, let's come to the general quality: rooms are tiny, finishing is old and the bathroom looks like my Grandmother little apartment's (Lord please take care of her soul) before a radical restructuring.
Old stuff that nothing has to do with "old fashioned"... it's simply old and not functional.
The carpets are full of cigarette holes (in a non-smoker room?!?!?!).
Thanks God, they change the bed linens every day, so at least they don't make you sleep like a horse.

Breakfast is average for a 3 star hotel, certainly not for a 4 star hotel as the signs and the price (not the service and the staff's general behaviour) suggests.

In conclusion... the stay was terrible, my stuff was stolen in the hotel's property but the hotels' staff covered it up and I didn't have a penny as a compensation... and I would not omit the way I have been treated while handling this "situation" that surely was not pleasant for me and, after reporting it here, surely won’t be for the hotel in the long term.

Avoid this place, if possible. If not, please take the baggage upstairs by yourself and bring the valuable staff with you when you're out the room, even for breakfast.
Everything can happen here, it's better you choose a more comfortable and safe place for your stay, might it be business or leisure trip.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank air_bar
Leipzig, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2012

This is an odd type of a hotel: good room, comfortable bed and lousy services. Employees speaking REALLY bad English, made a "slight" mistake. Even though the requested room (1 Premium Twin Room (2 Pers) at the cost of 485.00 CNY, had the breakfast included, one employee knocked at our door seconds after our arrival excusing for the mistake, because, according to him, there was ONE voucher for ONE person for breakfast, and the other one would have to pay for the breakfast at tthe cost of 50 CNY. When we realized that the hotel was so poor and confused to grant one simple breakfast (included on the price, by the way) , we gave both vouchers back at the counter, as well as the stupid discount flyers that came along with our key. Sad, but true. This hotel is cheap enough to rescue a breakfast voucher from their guests.

Room Tip: Beware of traps: some rooms aren't renewed.Ask for a change if it's the case.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Schwartzkopf_Reiser
Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

This is near the metro, easy to get to from airport. Even though we were early, staff checked us in straight away. Had a small communication problem asking for ice bucket, but kudos to the staff they continued to return until we received what we were asking. This was done in good humor without angst.

• Stayed January 2012
Manila
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2011

it has everything a traveler needs. the rooms are comfy, the breakfast was great. the receptionist were nice, and they speak good english. i would say that its a good place to stay.. its near the train station and ikea is just around the corner, food stalls everywhere. this is a place for family so if your looking for a good hotel and a good place to stay in guang zhou well this is one to consider

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
shanghai
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2010

If you remember China in the 1990's you will feel right at home at the grandiosely named Grand Palace. The lobby is like a time capsule from 1996 with the patterned marble floor, gold chandeliers, oil paintings and faux Marie Antoinette furnishings. You wonder how many Dongguan deals were hatched in the tired little lobby lounge. Yet I was happily surprised to find the room I stayed in to seem to belong in a different hotel, it was restrained, roomy and comfortable. The decor was dark and heavy but other than that I couldn't complain about the room. With a good rate, central location, decent breakfast and experienced staff, Grand Palace is a good deal in pricey Guangzhou. Just don't be surprised if you hear Kenny G's playing in your head when you walk in.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business