“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #58 of 3,430 Hotels in Guangzhou
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed June 4, 2011

1. Location of the Hotel in excellent. right in the midst of the Guangzhou City.
2. Rooms are spacious, neat and beautiful.
3. Service is good. Most important staff know English.
4. I stayed on the 27th floor and had a nice view of city.
5. Convenient stores like 7Eleven are just outside the Hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed May 22, 2011

This is one Hotel that I found that fit my budget and still provided me all the luxuries of a 5 star hotel. Great food, excellent service, large rooms which were very clean and updated, very nicely designed bathrooms and nice ambiance to the overall space. Since I had the top room, I could have a beautiful view of the city to appreciate. One of the main attractions is the "Revolving Restaurant" at the top on the Hotel. It provides one of the best breakfasts that I have ever dug into. Though the sport facilities weren't that great, but I was not intending to use them since I was on a business trip and therefore most hours were spent outside of hotel. Overall a really good choice to stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank aanujj
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2011

This property is well past its prime. My suite is extremely spacious and comfortable, and cost about the same as a regular room in Beijing or Shanghai, so in that way the value here is pretty good. The bathroom is full of gadgets, which in 1985 must have made this a very posh/high-tech place. There is currently a lot of noise coming from the elevator that prevented me from getting a good night's sleep. Check-in was dreafdully inefficient (as in many Chinese hotels). The breakfast in the revolvoing restaurant was not very good at all, especially the Western food (stale breads, raw eggs, canned fruits). The location is okay -- nothing really exciting within walking distance, but a short taxi ride from many things.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank David W
Reviewed January 29, 2011

We got a great price for the room, about 20% lower than its counterparts, then found out when we checked out they charged us for an extra nights stay because we checked out at one. The thing is, we were told twice, once at checkin and another time the following morning that the check out time is 2 PM.

The manager, Nancy, came down, made threatening gestures and insinuations and in general caused us a great deal of discomfiture. I don't think we will come back to Guangzhou again.

Stay away from this hotel, it isn't worth the grey hairs it'll cause.

• Stayed January 2011
Germany
Reviewed July 18, 2010

I satyed a couple of times in this hotel and never were dissappointed. However, currently, they are doing renovation on the upper floor, and although I am staying in the lower floor, i need ear plugs to find sleep.

I asked for a room which is not noisy, but they refused to give me one, as they seems to haven't one.

So, if you like construction noise, currently the Asia Intl Hotel is the perfect stay for you.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Dallas
Reviewed April 12, 2010

We spent 6 nights there when adopting our second Chinese child. Since Chinese rooms tend to be small we had adjoining rooms in all hotels except this one. Here, we had a suite with 1 1/2 baths, a bedroom, and a living room. The floor plan was my favorite thing about the hotel. We were in some nice but small rooms the first week and this gave us a chance to spread out. We didn't really need the 1/2 bath but after being on the road in smaller rooms it was a luxury, more mentally than because we needed it so much. The main bath was larger than normal and the main bedroom was a good size. The view was cool, too-I think we were about 30 floors up. It felt like an apartment, not a hotel room. The folding bed was uncomfortable but, in fairness, it wasn't a real bed.

The breakfast was good, except that we had to go to the top (not the bottom) and had to change elevators on theway up. Once in the breakfast room we had to negotiate stairs; our new little one wanted to sit in his stroller and this was difficult. The view from the revolving restaurant was terrific, esp. since we got it each morning for breakfast, and not during an expensive dinner that might have taken place after dark anyway. My daughter enjoyed the fact that the breakfast room is a revolving restaurant. We did not like the Japanese restaurant in the hotel. We went to one in 2005 at the China hotel a few blocks away and enjoyed it. I thought we'd repeat the memory on this trip but it wasn't good at all. We did not venture out much from this hotel on foot, except to note that a KFC and Pizza Hut were next door (and I do mean next door). Very convenient. I like Chinese Pizza Huts more than American ones, though Chinese KFCs aren't as good; we tolerate it since we tend to miss American food so far into a trip. We had internet access in our room but there was a technical glitch setting it up. My wife handled it since she's the computer person; I don't remember the technical reason but it was a minor problem.

Another reviewer said it best-the hotel was "tired." It looked to me like an upscale business hotel that was in need of new paint and new carpet. It wasn't a dump, mind you-I've been in much worse-but it lacked the polish that I suspect it used to have. The Poly White Rose in Wuhan, the China Hotel in Guangzhou, and the Regal Airport in Hong Kong looked much fresher. I can't comment too much on the location since our only real destination in this city was Shamian Island, which we could get to in about 20 minutes by cab. Cabs were easy to find and very cheap, even for all of us. We were far from the American Consulate, which apparently moved off Shamian Island since 2005. Keep this in mind if you need to visit the Consulate during your trip. This hotel is not convenient for the Consulate.

One unpleasant memory involved their security guards, of all things. My kids were looking at fish in a fountain behind the lobby and their (bored?) security people talked to us rather angrily. I didn't realize small children looking at fish was that big of a deal. It scared my 3 year-old (the one we had just adopted, who was emotionally stressed anyway) and he slipped when he tried to back away and he bumped his head and started crying. The injury was no big deal-a minor bump-but I resent the attitude they had. My kids were harmlessly looking at fish and I'm no Capone; when I grew up I never went to the Principal's office, not even once. If I'm your focus then your security people have too much time on your hands. That left a sour taste in my mouth, especially after we'd just finished enjoying good service in Wuhan.

Basically, not too bad but I recommend the China Hotel (a Marriot), which is nearby and (as of 2005) a fresher choice. I have not stayed in the White Swan but I've been in the lobby several times and have heard good things about the rooms (price issues aside) and Shamian Island is a family-friendly atmosphere. I'm checking "no" for the Asia International because the carpet and furniture were worn but mainly because of how rude the security men were to me and my kids over something so innocent. I don't need that. You probably don't, either.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Lebanon
Reviewed April 6, 2010

Every thing in the hotel was good. The room was excellent. Very convenient for some restaurant and large malls nearby. A little bit away for canton fair visitors

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business